YnAMP - Yet (not) Another Maps Pack

YnAMP - Development thread Civ6

Maybe its tied with the animations?
Are the AI's using animations in combat if you can see barbarians, or are they still using "quick combat" out of your vision? idk, just spitballing ideas for what might be causing so long turns.
Because i remember a mod for Civ5 that automatically turned on quick-combat/quick-move when it was the AI turn, to speed up the turn times, then automatically turned them back off when it was the players turn OR if the player had vision over said units.

CUTTING OFF THE BARBARIANS WORKS perfectly :) no loading time along.
So they are the problem :) tested

For the balance problem with the strategic resources (quantity more than one) i found a solution. I changed the civ5 map source in the function GetMap().
Who wants to play without the civ5 resource quantity can download here the GiantEarth.txt file, and drop it in the mod folder. (You must rename it to GiantEarth.lua)

Attachments

• GiantEarth.txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 233
@Baleur: All my animations have been off since the minute I installed, so that can't be the problem.

As far as feedback, maybe you could increase the movement points of the units a little bit in the more humongous versions of the map (in the future) -- and/or increase the rate at which roads add to movement? It's kind of lame to have to spend 30 turns marching from one end of Africa to the other, even to the dawn of the modern age; I cannot imagine what it must be like to play on the Ludicrous map size! :crazyeye::D

Reactions: PKL
I combined it wit "8 Ages of Pace" for movement and gamespeed tweaks. Maybe give it a try...

Thanks for the great and quick work, it's not Civ without YnA(E?)MP! Eagerly awaiting TSL and other improvements.

CUTTING OFF THE BARBARIANS WORKS perfectly :) no loading time along.
So they are the problem :) tested

I can confirm. Ludicrous map - load times between turns is just a few seconds - as soon as a single barbarian camp is visible load time goes up to 60seconds+
Gonna bash them now and see if it goes back down.

Edit: 2 turns after I cleared the camp turn times went back to 3-5 seconds

Edit2: A lone barbarian scout appeared, load times between turns are back to 3 minutes+ (will try to turn on fast move and see if that changes things)

Edit3: Fast Moved changed nothing. Once again, 2 turns after killing the barbarian unit, turn times are back to a few seconds.

Last edited:
Checking daily for a True Start Locations update.

I have always gravitated toward the earth maps with every civilization present at true starts. I don't care much about the size of the map, but ludicrous sized is nice. One thing I've noticed about this map is that it's the same size regardless of what size you select at the set up. Even small will be a gigantic map, just with fewer civilizations. Eventually it might be nice to scale it. But for now I'm sure everyone agrees that the true starts will really make this shine, then we can finally play civ 6 as it's meant to be.

Thanks everyone for working on this so quickly!

Last edited:
I also noticed a slowdown whenever a barbarian is present, even at the very start of the game. I set the city states for the map to 10 and that seems to have fixed the issue. I haven't played for long enough to see if the issue returns later in the game. I was also used "Reveal All" to make sure every barbarian was spotted for every turn.

If the issue is related to the number of city states then we need to work out a reasonable upper limit for them. I hope this is helpful.

Edit 1:

New theory, it is not the number of civs. Revealing the whole map does appear to eliminate the problem. I suspect this is because barbarians cant spawn on a visible tile and since the whole map is visible this means they cant spawn at all.

I ran a game in marathon mode and the turn times were as follows:
No spotted barb: 6 sec
Spotted barb: 12 sec

I then ran the using the "Online" speed and got:
No spotted barb: 6 sec
Spotted barb: 30 sec

The next thing I will try is to reduce the barb spawn rate through a mod and see if it helps. I also don't understand why the slowdown only occurs when a barb is spotted and not all the time.

Last edited:
I haven't tried this yet, but I think it's awesome! :thumbsup: Adding my version is a good decision, as I don't have a lot of time on my hands atm to concentrate on map making myself. You are also "officially" allowed to incorporate any of my Europe maps. Given the larger focus on cities and city districts in Civ6, you should convert the more extensive "Play Europe Again". If necessary, I'm open for any questions regarding resource placement etc., so feel free to contact me at any time.

Thanks Hormigas, and yes, an European map would be welcome to the pack I think :)

Great thanks for your map!
Does anybody know how to install this map on a Mac?

Can't find the install location via steam...

No sweat! :) The dynamic Yna(e?)mp is the best way to play custom real earth maps in Civilization. Better than any standalone map with fixed resources could be (support for custom civs, etc.). Quite apart from the administrative expense of several such maps on Steam Workshop. ;)

For everyone that has the problem with the barbarians:
I had the same issue on the maps the game shipped with no matter the size.
It stopped when I disabled Windows Defender on Windows 10.
Maybe just a fluke but I think it was the reason somehow.

For everyone that has the problem with the barbarians:
I had the same issue on the maps the game shipped with no matter the size.
It stopped when I disabled Windows Defender on Windows 10.
Maybe just a fluke but I think it was the reason somehow.

Llllooooolllllll That's so funny.. Windows Defender defending against Barbarians xD?

Llllooooolllllll That's so funny.. Windows Defender defending against Barbarians xD?

Yeah, at first I thought it was just that the game would take ages/freeze/crash because of the giant size, but it also happened on the smaller ones, then I realized that it always got stuck on the barbarians part of the turn right when they start. They basically do nothing the whole time, you can see your processor utilization fall from ~50% to below 20% (for me atleast on an AMD FX-6350 6x3.9 GHz) stay there while the game does nothing (globe in bottom right still spinning and you are able to move the camera) then jump up again to 50% while the game starts to move the barbs and continue the turn. If I clicked something during that time in game, it would freeze (you could see the globe stop spinning and no more camera movement) the window (in borderless window mode) would turn white and windows notifies me that the program stopped responding and if I would like the wait. If you wait it would take the same time like before until the turn continues.

Saw that people had problems with crashes and freezes doing the initial load and it helped them to disable windows defender, so I gave it a shot and it also managed to resolve my barbarian problem.

Note: I have not tried the YnAMP yet on civ 6 so maybe that's not the issue here!

Although I do have Windows Defender installed, it's not running atm, so I don't suppose it can be the root cause of the problem. Good that it helps for some people ofc.

@TheNimrod: Thanks for that tip! I haven't even looked in the Mods section; I will try out that mod asap. :goodjob:

Yeah, at first I thought it was just that the game would take ages/freeze/crash because of the giant size, but it also happened on the smaller ones, then I realized that it always got stuck on the barbarians part of the turn right when they start. They basically do nothing the whole time, you can see your processor utilization fall from ~50% to below 20% (for me atleast on an AMD FX-6350 6x3.9 GHz) stay there while the game does nothing (globe in bottom right still spinning and you are able to move the camera) then jump up again to 50% while the game starts to move the barbs and continue the turn. If I clicked something during that time in game, it would freeze (you could see the globe stop spinning and no more camera movement) the window (in borderless window mode) would turn white and windows notifies me that the program stopped responding and if I would like the wait. If you wait it would take the same time like before until the turn continues.

Saw that people had problems with crashes and freezes doing the initial load and it helped them to disable windows defender, so I gave it a shot and it also managed to resolve my barbarian problem.

Note: I have not tried the YnAMP yet on civ 6 so maybe that's not the issue here!

Okay, I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, I didnt think it possible, but as soon as I disabled the WindowsDefender Real Time Protection, my barbarian lag was gone - I have verified this now over 5 turns with barbarians visible, NO TURN TIME LAG!

I do not know who you are, mate, but I love you.

Top Bottom