1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

YnAMP sub-project: 60+ simple modern Civilizations

Discussion in 'Yet (not) Another Maps Pack' started by Gedemon, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Lindy

Lindy Chieftain

I am getting a constant crash on turn 314. Have tried reloading several times, no luck. Will experiment some more tonight and try to get to the bottom of it. Game has run smoothly until now.

EDIT: Unfortunately I can not get the game to move past turn 314. I have loaded several autosaves, made different choices both in the world and in interacting with leaders, etc. and still no luck.

Computer specs:
    i7-6700k @ 4.00ghz
    16GB RAM
    64bit Windows OS
    Nvidia 1080 GPU

Game setup:
    Giant Earth
    TSL enforced
    60 Basic Civs (all except Iceland, playing as Japan)
    60 CS Loaded
    Epic Game Speed
    All additional mods in the YNAEMP modpack except less barbarians

Trying to figure out how to access the crash log report, folder seems to be empty?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  2. Mobfire

Mobfire Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool

Thanks for playing! I don't think the badges looking off was your fault. Rather, they were made by @DarthStarkiller before the color schemes were revamped, so they appear wrong when displayed on the current color schemes.

I am unsure if Civ6 is able to automatically generate the badges that you see on the victory progress screen if it has the icons. If it can't, then new badges will have to be made with the current color schemes. If it can, then we just need the plain white versions of each icon (I don't think we have them from Darth yet?). In any case, having them would be nice.

On another note, were there any color schemes that were eyesores or didn't have enough contrast to read the text? Any civs that were hard to distinguish from each other? I'll use your feedback to try and fix any problems.

3. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Chieftain

Most seemed fine to me, except maybe Pakistan. The two greens aren't different
    enough. See the cities and units north of New Delhi in the attached Asia
    screenshot.

Some civs do have very similar colour schemes, e.g. France and USA, which could
    be difficult to distinguish when they meet later in the game. See the
    attached screenshots for Europe and North America.

There is definitely a problem with the badges I mentioned earlier, i.e. the
    almost black circular blobs on the right hand side of the panel of cities
    for some civs.

All-in-all, your group have done a splendid job with the limited available
    colours and the constraints imposed by the actual flags of the nations or their
    "official" colours.

Design for colour blind players is a science in itself and I don't think there
    is a lot you could do for them at this stage without their direct input.

africa.jpg asia.jpg euro.jpg namerica.jpg oznz.jpg seasia.jpg
    samerica.jpg

EDIT: Attached screenshots.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Mobfire and tomaltachpaulson like this.
  4. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

I need to provide an override for the city banner screen, but that would made the mod incompatible with most UI mods.

Here is how it would be with that override:
    Clipboard-1.jpg

5. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

It's very hard to read "Kalmar" for Sweden.

6. Mobfire

I believe Sweden's color scheme is supposed to be yellow and blue, so there must have been an error either with me translating colors into color codes or Gedemon copying them over. Either way, we'll ensure its fixed.

Thanks Ferocitus! I'll try and update the France and Pakistan color schemes accordingly.

Wouldn't it also work if we separated the civilization icons from those circular backgrounds or had Darth provide them?

PS Progress is good on the European/Mediterranean expansion. Currently my plans are to include Switzerland, Austria, Czechia, Hungary, Serbia, Croatia, Bulgaria, Belarus, Georgia, Syria, Jordan, and Tunisia.
    Slovakia, Belgium, and Bosnia are also possibilities.

If anyone has a request for a civ in the region I can probably make it happen. I'll be posting everything in a ZIP file so I don't have to spam this thread .

7. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Chieftain

I uploaded the screenshots in my earlier post so you can see how close they are.

There is definitely room for Polynesian/Melanesian Civs.
    For example Hawaii, or the Lapita culture.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapita_culture

Maybe even Brunei, Tonga, New Guinea, and/or Samoa, if you're feeling
    particularly keen and energetic.

8. Mobfire

Thanks for the screenshots! They were very helpful.

Right now I'm working on civs exclusively in the general area of Europe and the Mediterranean, but when that is done I will definitely look at other parts of the world including the Pacific.

9. Mobfire

colorsupdate.png
    Updated some color schemes.
    • Made France, New Zealand, and Mongolia look more different than USA, Chile, and China respectively
    • Switched Turkey to Cuba's current color scheme so that it doesn't look like Morocco anymore, and gave Cuba a new color scheme
    • Adjusted contrast for Indonesia, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Philippines, Russia, Congo, and Portugal
    • Swapped Japan's grey for black
    • Fixed Sweden so it is yellow and not green
    • Gave Myanmar a new color scheme so it looks better next to Vietnam which was also yellow
    I also made a GitHub account to create a pull request for the updated color codes.

tomaltachpaulson and Gedemon like this.
  10. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Thank you, merged :)

Mobfire likes this.
  11. SimonB1er

SimonB1er Chieftain

Is this sub mod only compatoble with the giant map?

12. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

ATM the TSL are only set for the Giant Earth Map, but you can use the mod with any other map or map script, without TSL. Note that all civilization that share type name with custom/vanilla civs that have TSL on other maps will be placed correctly on those map (ie CIVILIZATION_FRANCE, CIVILIZATION_GERMANY, etc...)

13. SimonB1er

SimonB1er Chieftain

14. Mobfire

Got the icons separated from their badges to the best of my ability. There are a few rough edges in places, but for the most part the original icons are preserved. There are 2 versions- one with all icons except Vanilla plain, the other with a glow and drop shadow effect applied to the non-vanilla icons in an attempt to recreate the Vanilla feel.
    Spoiler Plain :
    IconsSet.png

Spoiler Applied FX :
    IconsDropShadow.png

The Poland icon that I made is also present in both at the end.

If there are any that you feel need additional touch-ups, let me know. Once these are implemented I think we're all set for a release.

(EDIT: Also realized that TSL locations need to be updated for a couple civs who have the wrong capitals in the screenshots. It also might be nice to add TSL to the other major earth maps. Unfortunately I don't actually have Civ6 yet so someone else will have to do this.)

tomaltachpaulson and Gedemon like this.
  15. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

thanks a lot, looks great, I'll try to implement them tomorrow for testing.

16. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Took me longer than I thought, but new version updated on GitHub with the new symbol icons, now if possible I'd like to set the culture art for the new civilizations, but no luck so far.

Note that size 45 icons need to be in colors, I'm using the previous version for that size.

17. Mobfire

I'm up for trying to change the colors to their current schemes. Unfortunately it isn't possible just by editing hue and saturation as it messes up the image quite a bit, especially when there is a big change. I've seen similar circular badges present elsewhere, are you aware of a template that I could download? Or can they be generated by the dev tool kit?

18. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

a template ? like the file used for the vanilla civs icons ?

19. Mobfire

Something that'll get me or allow me to generate something like this.
    testburma.png

20. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

ho, yes, sorry, better ask @DarthStarkiller or the other artists out there, I can't help on that, and AFAIK there is not automatic generation of colored icons by the SDK (the game do colorize from the symbol icons, but we"ll have the same problem as I had with the colored icons: it would require some vanilla files overwrite leading to incompatibilities with most UI mods)

But before making a new sheet with colored icons, there may be still some tweaking to do with the current color set. It looks great on most civs with the symbol icons, but there may be a few that are difficult to read like Pakistan and Madagascar. Some may also be to close, see attached screenshots (the TSL were not set to be enforced on that game, but I do know that some need to be tweaked anyway to respect the true city naming setting)

I can use the old colored icons where required, IMO that's something that can be fixed post release, as are the tweaks on civilizations colors.

What I'd really like to have before release is the culture art to work for the new civilizations.

(edit : and I forgot to set Poland civ symbol)

Attached Files:

Mobfire likes this.