1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

YnAMP sub-project: True location corresponding city names

Discussion in 'Yet (not) Another Maps Pack' started by rock_and_ride, Nov 23, 2016.

1. ritchyq

ritchyq Chieftain

Since the new update on dec 8th, the real city names have messed up a bit, example - Jerusalem being called Edinburgh and in Arabia Bordeaux - ive been starting games on giant earth map.

2. Moda

Moda Chieftain

With Gathering Storm arriving in a couple weeks, I'm curious to know if anyone's planning on adding some Inca/Mapuche specific names for South American and Caribbean cities? Also, has anyone worked the smaller Pacific islands (besides New Zealand, Hawaii, and Papua New Guinea)? If not, I wouldn't mind taking on those sections after the expansion comes out.

3. Mobfire

Mobfire Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool

I did the pacific a while back, including changing the locations of the islands to better represent geography.

Moda likes this.
  4. Moda

Moda Chieftain

Oh, that's great! I must have missed them while skimming through the city names.

5. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

I'm going to update the Giant Earth with some of the proposed changes in this thread and the map's thread, could on of you check if the code above is working and push an update with it ?

6. Ekmek

Ekmek on steam: ekmek_e

7. Ekmek

Ekmek on steam: ekmek_e

how do I get the fork, or what the full code from this part in post 2?

You need: YnAMP source code

8. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

9. Cole98

Cole98 AKA CerebralPolicy

I'd like to take a stab at correcting Western Canada, the way the names are now some Albertan cities appear directly south of ones in Saskatchewan. So the provinces don't line up quite right.

10. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Oh, and Northern Ontario needs to be fixed for city name locations for Canada and the United States; currently, it's possible to found Toronto by the shores of Hudson Bay.

11. krmarci

krmarci Chieftain

The Hungarian translation is missing for many cities. Can I help in some way?

12. Spartan_1683

Spartan_1683 Chieftain

Which map is better the ghengis kai one that says unstable or the slightly smaller giant earth one?

13. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

If there are still people wanting to expand this, I've added a little something to help in next version
    Spoiler :
    upload_2020-4-19_2-18-15.png
    upload_2020-4-19_2-20-3.png
    upload_2020-4-19_2-24-23.png
    upload_2020-4-19_2-27-17.png

tomaltachpaulson likes this.
  14. SeelingCat

SeelingCat Warlord

Just when I got all the existing YNAMP names plugged into Rosetta too! :p

In all seriousness, I'd be happy to help!

Gedemon likes this.
  15. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Thanks !

I'm currently doing some tweaks in relation to scenario generation (as the automated generator may use the CityMap to decide where to place cities), I'll push an update with that.

The issue with the scenario is some cities that have multiple single-plot definition where they could use a central plot with area = 1, the generator may pick the first definition it find where they are all for 1 plot (area = 0), but may seems a bit of for the real city and may block other cities placement. With an area = 1 definition, it picks the center plot (and if there are area = 0 and area > 0 definition, it picks the one with the largest area).

This shouldn't impact naming as when there is an overlap between a city with area > 0 and one with area = 0, the naming function picks the one with the best precision (ie the closest from the plot it want a name on)

In short big cities should use exact coordinates and area > 0, small cities should use area = 0.

There are still some gaps in the Giant Earth, easy to spot with that new function that will be in next version (took me a while to code, I'm really really bad at UI things), and the Greatest Earth would be almost a new project for anyone wanting to start on it.

And of course about help, there is also that other project I want to go back to (and finally implement ethnicity), but I'd like to release v.8 of YnAMP first, with a playable scenario generator for Relive World War and one for Basic Modern Civilization once fully tested.

16. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

There is also some issues with tag names using the city regional name (ie LOC_CITY_NAME_ROMA instead of LOC_CITY_NAME_ROME) and the scenario generator can't find them when it tries to compare the <CityNames> and the <CityMap> tables.

17. SeelingCat

SeelingCat Warlord

Filled in some of the smaller gaps in the Giant Earth Map and submitted a pull request - will take a look a look at the larger gaps tomorrow!

Spoiler Changes :

Added the following:
    Sao Tome (17, 31); Caruaru (170, 29); Craig (136, 65); Castletown (8, 76); Emden (17, 72); Vaduz (18, 65); Assab (36, 36); Gondar (34, 36); Ad-Damazin (33, 36); Moroni (36, 22); Tinsukia (72, 52); Tainan (87, 48); Leshan (75, 53); Hanzhong (77, 58); Iwakuni (92, 56)

Adjustments:
    Manaus (159, 29) increase to radius 1; Ensenada moved to 131,57 and Tijuana moved to 132, 58; Kodiak (116, 77) increased to radius 1; Bergen (17, 81) increased to radius 1 and removed duplicate; Palu moved to 88, 30; Tuvalu (114, 30) increased to radius 1; Nuku Hiva moved to 128, 27; Kaohsiung moved to 87, 47; Removed Oshima as it was overlapped with Ogesawara.

Gedemon likes this.
  18. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

merged, thanks !

So, now that we have a way to display the city map on the screen when using the Worldbuilder I was wondering if I should also add edit and export functions to the worldbuilder for easier management of this feature.

The export would take the existing list, add/remove the names edited using the new methods, automatically group the "LOC_NAME_[YOUR_CITY_NAME]" by Sub-continents when available in the Map table (Giant Earth) or Continents then sort them alphabetically and output the XML code to the Lua.log.

You'll have to copy/paste from the Lua.log, and it would require a quick editing to remove the characters from the first columns of the log, but that's a simple task with a good text editor.

I may ask @Zobtzler if such a feature could be integrated in Y(n)ABMC, his importing tool for map/mod creation.

As I'm not very comfortable with UI coding it won't be as simple as I'd like to implement (the display feature took me too much time), but if it can help to bring back people to the project (and expand it for other maps, not just YnAMP's), I'll be happy to do it.

19. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Updated the thread for displaying the city map with 3 functions that output some lists into the log from the firetuner.

And edited OP to add the link to that thread
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...on-screen-and-other-related-functions.657308/

• To display a list of mapped cities (<CityMap>) that miss a Localization, from YnAMP_Script context:
    Code:
    ListCityWithoutLOC(true)
    • To display a list of Civilization cities (<CityNames>) that miss a position on the map, from YnAMP_Script context:
    Code:
    ListCityNotOnMap(true)
    • To display the list of Cities (<CityNames>) for a specific Civilization, from WorldBuilderPlotEditor context:
    Code:
    ListCities("CIVILIZATION_AMERICA")

20. SeelingCat

SeelingCat Warlord

The rest of the Giant Earth Map should be filled in (just did the pull request)! I had to tweak a couple of the existing names in Russia/Siberia because of problems with the projection and getting the existing names to line up - hopefully nothing that will effect your scenario(s), Gedemon!