YnAMP sub-project: True location corresponding city names

Can I work on making Japanese localization for all the city names? And if I can, how should I go about it? Just go down the Maps/GiantEarth/CityMap.xml list and add a
<Replace Language="ja_JP" Text="サラミス" Tag="LOC_CITY_NAME_SALAMIS"/> for each city?
I am also willing to help translate YNAEMP to Japanese in general
For cities localization you can provide a file like the ones in "..\Yet (not) Another Maps Pack\Gameplay" folder (GamePlayText_de_DE.xml, GamePlayText_fr_FR.xml, GamePlayText_pt_BR.xml, ...) I'll add it to the mod.

For YnAMP general translation, the files are in the "..\Yet (not) Another Maps Pack\Configuration" folder (ConfigText_pt_BR.xml, ConfigText_zh_Hans_CN.xml, ...)

I've added TSL for all the new Rise & Fall civilizations on GitHub. I've also added a small new section on GEM to cover Mongolia:
Spoiler Sumerian Mongols :
karakorum.png

Also, @Gedemon, I have attached the TSL for the Large Europe map, up to date with all the R&F civs as well.

Attachments

• LargeEurope.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 200
I've added TSL for all the new Rise & Fall civilizations on GitHub. I've also added a small new section on GEM to cover Mongolia:
Spoiler Sumerian Mongols :

Also, @Gedemon, I have attached the TSL for the Large Europe map, up to date with all the R&F civs as well.

What did you set as the True start location for Korea? I think on the current map it should be Pohang, but Pohang needs to be renamed to Gyeongju. I don't know if anyone has actually changed it yet, but the argument is that the river from Ulsan needs to be extended up alongside the tile for Pohang (So there is a fresh water resource and because there is an actual river there), and Pohang needs to be renamed to Gyeongju because they are roughly in the same place and Gyeongju is much more important historically. As well as being the capitol of the Silla dynasty which you control in Civ 6's Korea

What did you set as the True start location for Korea? I think on the current map it should be Pohang, but Pohang needs to be renamed to Gyeongju. I don't know if anyone has actually changed it yet, but the argument is that the river from Ulsan needs to be extended up alongside the tile for Pohang (So there is a fresh water resource and because there is an actual river there), and Pohang needs to be renamed to Gyeongju because they are roughly in the same place and Gyeongju is much more important historically. As well as being the capitol of the Silla dynasty which you control in Civ 6's Korea
I just put it at Seoul (89, 61) because it seems that Babylon is replacing Seoul as a city-state and therefore it seemed like the most obvious place for Korea's start. However, I haven't really been active on the East Asia part of the city map, so I can understand if someone moved it as part of a rework of the Korean city map.
We don't seem to have developed a complete precedent as to whether the start location should be where the leader of the civ ruled from, or where the civilization's main, long term capital is. In many cases in YnAMP the start location is different from Firaxis's capital of choice (e.g. Berlin rather than Aachen, Moscow rather than St Petersburg, Mecca or Damascus rather than Cairo), but this is generally because the locations are better for gameplay reasons, and there are also a number who start in Firaxis's leader-based capitals (Xi'an rather than Beijing, Nidaros rather than Oslo, Râ-Kedet/Alexandria rather than Thebes or Memphis). Again these are generally on the basis of gameplay, and trying to space the civs as evenly as possible within the bounds of TSL, which is really the main concern when choosing capitals. However, with Korea being so small this isn't so much of a factor there, so either is possible.

I didn't realize that other civs did not start where their leaders started. In that case it should be fine. Seoul is frankly a better start because it already has a river for it.

Hi all.

I'm one of the guys who helped add corresponding city names to North America on the GEM. I've been working towards adding civ-specific city names in North America for some of the new civilizations added in Rise and Fall. Most noteably the Cree, of course. I'll post an update with screenshots once I've completed and tested it.

There is a problem with Khmer position at
Code:
<Replace MapName="GiantEarth" Civilization="CIVILIZATION_KHMER"        X="77" Y="40" />

because of Tonle Sap (that requires a change to rivers to be moved)
Code:
<Replace MapName="GiantEarth" X="76" Y="41" FeatureType="FEATURE_SUK_TONLESAP" TerrainType="TERRAIN_COAST" />
<Replace MapName="GiantEarth" X="77" Y="40" FeatureType="FEATURE_SUK_TONLESAP" TerrainType="TERRAIN_COAST" />

Any suggestion (changing the city map name to match a change to the TSL, modifying the map to change Tonle Sap position, removing the NW, ...)

There is a problem with Khmer position at
Code:
<Replace MapName="GiantEarth" Civilization="CIVILIZATION_KHMER"        X="77" Y="40" />

because of Tonle Sap (that requires a change to rivers to be moved)
Code:
<Replace MapName="GiantEarth" X="76" Y="41" FeatureType="FEATURE_SUK_TONLESAP" TerrainType="TERRAIN_COAST" />
<Replace MapName="GiantEarth" X="77" Y="40" FeatureType="FEATURE_SUK_TONLESAP" TerrainType="TERRAIN_COAST" />

Any suggestion (changing the city map name to match a change to the TSL, modifying the map to change Tonle Sap position, removing the NW, ...)
Can we use the existing conditional TSL system here to disable a start if a Feature is present? Otherwise, I suppose we could just move it up a tile.

I've finished updating North American cities for the new Rise and Fall civs. Most notably I've added alternative indigenous names for almost every city on the continent to give the Cree and Aztecs a little more historical flavour. Here are some screenshots of my update in action:
Spoiler Rise and Fall North America Screenshots :
20180217041355_1.jpg
20180217041405_1.jpg
20180217041411_1.jpg
20180217041417_1.jpg
20180217041426_1.jpg
20180217041431_1.jpg
20180217041436_1.jpg

P.S. I've made a pull request :)

Can we use the existing conditional TSL system here to disable a start if a Feature is present? Otherwise, I suppose we could just move it up a tile.
Yep, I'm adding a small check to use the alternate start if the normal start is impassable or water, and I'm setting the old TSL at (76,42) as an alternate

I had a look at cities from the ancient/medieval Silk Road and found them missing in the list CityMap.xml for Giant Earth. Here is a proposal to add some historic cities like Samarkand and Tashkent (and some regional modern cities.)

Silk Road :
Spoiler :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_Road
Hint : Right-Click on picture and select Show Picture to have a better view.

Cities :
Spoiler :

Code:
Coordinates :

<!-- Central Asia -->

<!-- Kazakhstan -->

<Replace MapName="GiantEarth" X="58" Y="70" CityLocaleName="LOC_CITY_NAME_ASTANA" />
<Replace MapName="GiantEarth" X="58" Y="69" CityLocaleName="LOC_CITY_NAME_KARAGANDA" />
<Replace MapName="GiantEarth" X="60" Y="66" CityLocaleName="LOC_CITY_NAME_ALMATY" />

<!-- Uzbekistan -->

<Replace MapName="GiantEarth" X="49" Y="63" CityLocaleName="LOC_CITY_NAME_KHIVA" />
<Replace MapName="GiantEarth" X="51" Y="61" CityLocaleName="LOC_CITY_NAME_BUKHARA" />
<Replace MapName="GiantEarth" X="52" Y="61" CityLocaleName="LOC_CITY_NAME_SAMARKAND" />
<Replace MapName="GiantEarth" X="55" Y="61" CityLocaleName="LOC_CITY_NAME_TASHKENT" />

<!-- Tajikistan -->
<Replace MapName="GiantEarth" X="54" Y="60" CityLocaleName="LOC_CITY_NAME_DUSHANBE" />

Names :

<!-- Central Asia -->

<!-- Kazakhstan -->

<Replace Tag="LOC_CITY_NAME_ALMATY" Text="Almaty" Language="en_US" />
<Replace Tag="LOC_CITY_NAME_ASTANA" Text="Astana" Language="en_US" />
<Replace Tag="LOC_CITY_NAME_KARAGANDA" Text="Karaganda" Language="en_US" />

<!-- Uzbekistan -->

<Replace Tag="LOC_CITY_NAME_BUKHARA" Text="Bukhara" Language="en_US" />
<Replace Tag="LOC_CITY_NAME_KHIVA" Text="Khiva" Language="en_US" />
<Replace Tag="LOC_CITY_NAME_SAMARKAND" Text="Samarkand" Language="en_US" />
<Replace Tag="LOC_CITY_NAME_TASHKENT" Text="Tashkent" Language="en_US" />

<!-- Tajikistan -->
<Replace Tag="LOC_CITY_NAME_DUSHANBE" Text="Dushanbe" Language="en_US" />

Hey guys, new here and I did read the whole thread, but I'm still confused about a basic concept. I plan on using this mod for my own earth map, and plan on keeping things simple as far as city name variations - in other words, no civ-specific spellings.

So if I pick a location for, say, Bordeaux (which is obviously on the French city list), and Rome or Spain get there first and settle it as Bordeaux, what will happen when France finds an unmarked spot on the map to settle a city, looks into it's pool of available city names, and "Bordeaux" comes up. Will it build a city with a duplicate name, or will the game be smart enough to skip that particular name as such a city already exists?

Hey guys, new here and I did read the whole thread, but I'm still confused about a basic concept. I plan on using this mod for my own earth map, and plan on keeping things simple as far as city name variations - in other words, no civ-specific spellings.

So if I pick a location for, say, Bordeaux (which is obviously on the French city list), and Rome or Spain get there first and settle it as Bordeaux, what will happen when France finds an unmarked spot on the map to settle a city, looks into it's pool of available city names, and "Bordeaux" comes up. Will it build a city with a duplicate name, or will the game be smart enough to skip that particular name as such a city already exists?
That is why civ-specific spellings are important.

If Rome were to found what would otherwise be Bordeaux, it would be called Burdigala. Likewise, if Spain were to found what would otherwise be Bordeaux, it would be called Burdeos.

That is why civ-specific spellings are important.

If Rome were to found what would otherwise be Bordeaux, it would be called Burdigala. Likewise, if Spain were to found what would otherwise be Bordeaux, it would be called Burdeos.

Hi. Sorry, not what I asked. Ignore the civ-specific spellings, as for simplicities sake I don't plan on using them on my first go at it - it'll be the same name no matter what civilization does the settling.

I am simply wondering what happens if a civilization other than the French settles a city that appears in the French Civilization's city list - using Bordeaux as an example here. Specifically, what happens when France finds a region of the map with no city name-tag associated with it, settles a new city, and that same name "Bordeaux" comes up again. Is there something in the code that prevents duplicate names?

The mod will never use the Civilization's city list if all the map is set with city names.

Duplicates are allowed on different continents by the code.

If the city map is not complete, then the code will use a name from the Civilization's city list in the empty spaces and yes, in that case there could be duplicates on same continents.

Note that map's city names are not from the base game, and set in the mod, they won't work directly with a civ6map file.

Wow, i like how this is going here... I played Giant Earth for a few turns (until I realized some Wonders can't be placed in original locations so I made a pull request) and I was surprised of all the cities already coded in there. Awesome work guys! Thx to all the dedication and thoughts especially on cultural accuracy! This is so geeky and awesome, thx guys for keeping it running! :goodjob::hug::thumbsup::king::smoke:

Nontheless, I am quite lost. Can't figure out for sure where do we still need names. I would like to get back into the project and update the status post. Don't know for now how to get a whole picture of what is done and what needs to be done. Any suggestions?

I'll try to code a small mod to place names on all tiles for the selected civilization on load

I'll try to code a small mod to place names on all tiles for the selected civilization on load

oh fml, now with you saying it, i just realized, I already tried something similar. but it wasnt a civ mod, cause lacking knowledge on my side for that. but i made a quick and dirty test run with javascript and i do have a very messy tool that actually does show you what is done :D :D :D its just so long ago, I didn't remember anymore :D :D :D ok, well I can figure out myself what has been done already i guess... gonna update the status post later on.

check it out, its definetly the best piece of programming out there! (attachment)

Attachments

• civ_citynames.zip
    8.4 KB · Views: 199
Top Bottom