YnAMP - Yet (not) Another Maps Pack

YnAMP - Development thread Civ6

Small update on gitHub/Steam
Code:
- bugfix: can use TSL again on Terra Map

Yo Ged,

So i'm unable to force spawn every City State in the Large Europe map when the CIVITAS City State mod is active.

Without YNAMP, With CIVITAS: Game will load every city state up to the game cap of 60, without fail
Without CIVITAS, on YNAMP Europe map: Every city state with a TSL will spawn, without fail
With CIVITAS+YNAMP on a random continents map: Max City States Spawn with no problem
With CIVITAS+YNAMP on Europe map: City states randomely fail to spawn, regardless of TSL/Map/Etc

So any idea what's going on and why city states are dropping/failing to spawn?

It's not the plot locations, since the city states that fail to spawn are random, and non consistent. Every time it's a different city state. Any and all city states can fail to spawn, but typically the number seems to be fixed? And that fixed number seems to be tied to "number of civs in the game" on some level? The more regular Civs in the game, the less city states that will spawn and vice versa. This is only true on YNAMP maps. I need a concrete answer as to why and what your mod changes that makes it so by adding more Civs to a game, the game spawns less City States. That makes actually zero sense, and I'm not sure what the hell is going on there. As on regular, random vanilla maps, max number of city states (up to the civ cap in a game, 62, minus your civ and AI civs) will spawn. No matter the mods, or civs in the game.

All of this behavior is ONLY EXPERIENCED ON THE PACKS MAPS. Even with the pack turned on, this behavior does not occur on any random vanilla maps. And the number of max civs doesn't appear to be related to anything. There are no constant factors. Sometimes 30 civs, sometimes 40, sometimes 50, etc it's completely random.

Do you allow random placement of civs without TSL in the settings?

Do you allow random placement of civs without TSL in the settings?
No.

EDIT: To clarify, nothing spawns in the wrong location. They just don't spawn, and other times they do, randomely, with no pattern to which don't spawn. This isn't a problem without CIVITAS but Chimpan insist's it's not related to his.

Do you perhaps know, what mechanism, or code, would cause city states to sometimes spawn and other times not spawn? Like, how?

It's the game that select the pool of CS when starting a new map, a mod can't select the CS to use for a map unless you use one to limit the pool of available CS.

Which means the game start with, for example 40 CS randomly selected from the available pool, and then YnAMP try to place those on the selected map.

CS selected by the game that don't have a TSL for Europe won't be placed unless you allow YnAMP to use a random position.

As the game's selection is random, the results are not consistent, if you're lucky the game could have picked only European CS, if you are not it couod have picked mostly non-European CS.

The only workaround is to use a mod to limit the pool of CS to European only.

I don't remember how my own addon for YnAMP does the selection, I've no idea if it's compatible with Civitas.

Hmmm, I see, so what you are saying is that if the "pool of city states" for a map is X large (say, 30), then the game selects 30 total city states. The "pool" includes ALL CITY STATES, even the ones "without tsl", even if you select "enforce TSL", it merely selects the city states which HAVE TSL, doesn't exclude those which do not.

So the problem lies here. CIVITAS adds, what, something like 40 City States? So there are like 70+ City States, which means even if the slider is at 60, it selects only 60 of the 70 total in my modded game, and thus ends up dropping random ones? Do I have that correctly?

EDIT: Would it be possible to edit your mod "Only Euro Civs" to include the other non-TSL's to remove them from the pool? Would that solve the problem theoretically?

Last edited:
Update: Yeh that idea worked completely. Everything is spawning now that I've limited the pool. Thanks Ged, as usual.

LOOK AT HOW GLORIOUS THIS ANCIENT LEVANT IS
hallehlujah.JPG

So, I at first added like 6 add ons and then noticed:

1) City labels and health bars were not visible on the map.
2) I cannot get the lower right hand prompt button to handle special events like new research or keep city at all. This is fine for all cases where there is an alternative control path to that game function like there is for the next tech choice, but once I conquer my first city, the game is over. I cannot get the keep city prompt window to pop up, because NEVER is the lower right hand button useful.

I did lower my textures and turn off leader animations and it made no diff.

I removed all other advanced mods and it made no difference.

So, I at first added like 6 add ons and then noticed:

1) City labels and health bars were not visible on the map.
2) I cannot get the lower right hand prompt button to handle special events like new research or keep city at all. This is fine for all cases where there is an alternative control path to that game function like there is for the next tech choice, but once I conquer my first city, the game is over. I cannot get the keep city prompt window to pop up, because NEVER is the lower right hand button useful.

I did lower my textures and turn off leader animations and it made no diff.

I removed all other advanced mods and it made no difference.
Map size ?

How much video memory with your GPU ?

I want to expand further (and simplify) the "partial map" feature introduced with v.7 (selecting a portion of the Giant or Largest Earth to play on by choosing East, West, North and South borders positions) by adding pre-defined regions.

As some regions may be a bit small when used as a full map, I plan to make a map twice the size of the Giant Earth Map (which is 180x94, the new map would be 360x188)

Of course, as the maximum playable size on my computer is around 200x100 (current "Ludicrous" size), you won't be able to play on the full map, but you'll be able to play on massive regions (up to 200x100)

I'd like some suggestions on the name of the map, knowing that I've not been really wise when I named the ludicrous-sized (230x116) Earth "Largest Earth Map", as it will be completely dwarfed by the new map...

"Giga Earth Map" ?
"Oversized Earth Map" ?
"SuperComputers Earth Map" ?

Before creating this new map by upscaling the Giant Earth Map, I'd like to apply all pending change to the Giant Earth (so they'll be applied to the new map too), there is a "todo" list in the map's thread, and some suggestions on the second page that I'd like feedback on.

As @Zaarin reminded me, there is also the reccuring question about the Continents used on all YnAMP's maps imported from civ5.

When using the "import" option for "Continents", you only get the 4 civ5' continents (America, Asia, Africa, Europe), I'd like to add more continents and subcontinents.

Now there are multiple definitions of "continents", not talking about subcontinents...

So I'd like your help to build a list that will both make sense for geography and gameplay (for example should we define a Britannia subcontinent ?)

A proposition of subcontinents/regions that we could use as "continents":

Europe
  • Scandinavia (Northern Europe)
  • Iberia (Spain and Portugal)
  • Caucasia (between the Black and Caspian Seas)
  • Brittania (British islands)
  • Balkan Peninsula
  • Europe (everything else)

Americas
  • Alaskan Peninsula
  • Quebec-Labrador
  • Greenland
  • North America
  • Meso-America (Mexico and Central America)
  • Caribbean
  • South America
  • Southern Cone (bigger) or Patagonia (smaller) (the southern peninsula of South America)

Africa
  • Sahara (Northern Africa) (+ Sahel ?)
  • Guinea (West Africa)
  • Central Africa
  • East Africa (+ The Horn of Africa ?)
  • Southern Africa

Asia
  • Anatolia (Asian Turkey)
  • Arabian Peninsula
  • Persian Plateau
  • India
  • Central Asia
  • East Asia
  • Southeast Asia
  • Manchuria (North-east Asia)
  • West Siberia
  • Central Siberia
  • Kolyma (Eastern Siberia)

Oceania
  • Australia
  • Zealandia
  • Melanesia
  • Micronesia
  • Polynesia

Antartica
  • Antartica

Let me know what you think of it, and if you have suggestions for continent-like names...

I'd be a fan of either traditional continents (I think we can merge Australia and Oceania, though) or geographical/plate tectonic continents (maybe splitting Eurasia into Europe and Asia), but I realize that either way that will result in big continents (not to mention the second choice has some strange borders--like Iceland being split in half or Kamchatka, Eastern Siberia, and the better part of Japan being in North America, while the Pacific Coast of North America is San Juan de Fuca). Either way, though, I think that would make the inspiration for Foreign Trade much easier: my last game as the Mapuche I would have reached either North America or the Caribbean in time based on that model. Southern Europe would be within easy reach of Africa or Asia/Arabia, Northern Europe with Asia, East Asia with North America, India, Arabia, Filipino, or Australia, Africa of Arabia and Europe, etc. Any model will put Spain in a nice position to take advantage of their intercontinental trade route bonuses...

Map size ?

How much video memory with your GPU ?
GeForce GTX 1080 with 16327 MB, half dedicated. Pretty standard.

I tried Ludicrous of course as that is just a basic like real worldish map size for ... Kansas. :) And I really want to play on Jupiter, but I digress.

I'd love to see overrides for the stupid startup locations they offer, as I constantly hit restart looking for a 2 food 2 production and 2 squares with same or better around capital start. I play only deity and prefer not to waste my time with nonsensical setups. I cannot credit that the so called legendary startups does anything meaningful.

I would also like force river adjacent and force coastal startup.

Listening to that foolish long load diatribe makes me hate Sean Bean now. Sorry Boromir!

I finally became a tad less rabid and dropped back to giant and it seems to work. But really? That video setup cant handle it? Ugh!

Update on GitHub/Steam
Code:
- try to get an adjacent replacement plot when Starting Location is invalid on maps using a reference map DB (fix Rome TSL on Largest Earth Custom Map)
- add extensive localization for Minnesota Cities (by JamHeronArk) 
- add Brush Size option for Terrains, Continents, Features, Territory and Visibility placement in WorldBuilder (max size set by WB_MAX_BRUSH_SIZE in GlobalParameters)
- add "Export Map to Lua.log" (in YnAMP format) button to the In Game and WorldBuilder option menu
- replace Civ5 Continents by multiple Subcontinents and Regions on the Giant Earth Map
- add option to use the Seven Continents model on the Giant Earth Map
- add predefined Map Sections on the Giant Earth Map ("Europe", "Mediterranean", "Middle East", "Americas", "Colonization", "Old World")
- add a few new Borders selection for Custom Map Section for the Giant and Largest Earth Map
- tweak Gibraltar placement on the Largest Earth Map (when NW are set directly in the MapScript, they take priority over the DB entry)
- add Lake Victoria custom rules for correct placement on Terra Map (Require "Large" or bigger map sizes) and Largest Earth Map

Before creating this new map by upscaling the Giant Earth Map, I'd like to apply all pending change to the Giant Earth (so they'll be applied to the new map too), there is a "todo" list in the map's thread, and some suggestions on the second page that I'd like feedback on.
*bump*

I'd really like feedback before starting to apply the changes.

if you have suggestions for the Giant Earth that I haven't noted (or new ones) please let me know ASAP, here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/giant-earth-map.619063/

Small update on gitHub/Steam
Code:
- fix some cases of wrong coordinates conversion when using some sections of the map
- expand "Colonization" section of the Giant Earth a bit more to the East (to include Russia, Egypt, Arabia)

Hey Gedemon,
I just installed this mod and got it working only after fixing the DLC load error crash to the main menu. I seem to be facing another issue, the tribal huts don't seem to be spawning at all. I'm playing enormous 2:1 with randomized Terra Map. Is it a known issue? or is there any workaround you may know?

Hey Gedemon,
I just installed this mod and got it working only after fixing the DLC load error crash to the main menu. I seem to be facing another issue, the tribal huts don't seem to be spawning at all. I'm playing enormous 2:1 with randomized Terra Map. Is it a known issue? or is there any workaround you may know?
No problem with Tribal Village here, see the bug reports section and post your modding/lua logs there

I want to play with all possible leaders and city-states. Total 66 players. I choose the number of city-states 30, but the game lacks 4 pieces. If the opportunity to implement the 36 leaders and 30 city states?

Top Bottom