You ever single player rage quit?

@BarbarianHunter ... Funny post up above but I hardly build Cav anymore.
I find myself in the upper part of the tree rushing towards Advanced Flight.
Get Bombers and rush over to Stealth Bombers and upgrade to Jet Bombers.
I find myself saving up 5000 to 7500 gold and buy/upgrade my Airforce.
Seems to make my games longer but I have yet to see the AI be able to counter Bombers.
Of course if you can't secure Aluminum it can make the game a bit sour lol.
Yeah, I agree. There doesn't seem to be much point in warring between the game opening and advent of bombers/GDR's. By that point, if I do war, it's just to close a science victory a bit sooner. Early war and late war now, but nothing in between without a slogathon. And I used to think the wait for knights was a bit long sometimes.

I dunno if it’s “rage quit” but usually when I get to Bronze Working and find there is neither Iron nor Horses anywhere remotely feasible for me to acquire, and my neighbors are well provided with both (roughly half of all my games I would say) well, that’s that for me. I am too stubborn to enable the equitable resources option because I do like for there to be some challenge in obtaining/holding them but it is amazing how often all the iron on the map is just outside my reach and inside my neighbors’ borders.

I often rage quit. On deity you just can't settle gready twords any neighbour without archers. I do it anyway and Lose my expansion or even cap with three warriors against a swarm of enemy warriors and archers.
Further I am seriously Bad at warfare it seems. I build a rush army with swords, horse or knights and just die to an endless steam of crossbows at turn 65.

I dunno if it’s “rage quit” but usually when I get to Bronze Working and find there is neither Iron nor Horses anywhere remotely feasible for me to acquire, and my neighbors are well provided with both (roughly half of all my games I would say) well, that’s that for me. I am too stubborn to enable the equitable resources option because I do like for there to be some challenge in obtaining/holding them but it is amazing how often all the iron on the map is just outside my reach and inside my neighbors’ borders.
Well, always bear in mind there is only so much space for resources. Getting tons of iron and horses early means less of other resources later. Likewise, your seemingly barren regions might be the world's only sources of niter, coal, or oil later.

But yeah, it can still be a bummer.

Well, always bear in mind there is only so much space for resources. Getting tons of iron and horses early means less of other resources later. Likewise, your seemingly barren regions might be the world's only sources of niter, coal, or oil later.

But yeah, it can still be a bummer.
I should add that my playing time is pretty limited these days which makes me less inclined toward “soldiering on” with pikes/towers or what not if no iron/horses are available. In past years I have done whatever convoluted strategy I had to in order to obtain iron/horses but now... I can barely muster enough interest in the late game to keep playing as it is much less deal with the lack of swords/horsemen/knights whatever.

I had a situation yesterday that resulted in a 'sod it' quit, although it was entirely my fault, so I was more annoyed at myself than anything! I had a nice little game going as Sweden: I was happy with the terrain available to me, I had three cities in place and there was room to expand further, with good resources/adjacency bonuses, and thanks to a +6 Faith Holy Site next to Pamukkale, I'd quickly secured the world's first religion. Marvellous! And then Genghis showed up on my borders, with his mounted hordes. I'd been focusing on everything but building up an army, and hadn't noticed that he was outpacing me in that department. He took my newest city with ease, and there was nothing I could do about it. I just couldn't be bothered to do what was required to get it back, so...game abandoned! Fair play to the AI, but I still haven't forgiven myself!

Question: In case of a 'rage quit' do most of you just exit the game or actually retire?

Personally: If I do decide to abandon a game (I only play single player btw) I do choose the option to 'retire' in the menu so my shameful display keeps haunting me in the Hall of Fame. Fun addition: the leader-portrait of the civ I was playing does change colour in the Hall of Fame to show you played them, but didn't achieve a win.

On Topic: Most of the games i quit on are unfinished save-games. It seems to be hard to get back in the thoughtprocess/gameplan of an older save… Anyone agree? Or handy tips that might help?

I had several abortive attempts at playing Maoi on Saturday. After the fourth or fifth abort, I think I was in ragequit territory.

If this is how the Maoi normally play, I don't know how anyone manages to enjoy them. I guess you gotta cherry-pick a map that favors them, but I shuffle.

Start in the middle of the ocean and start sailing around. Maybe the warrior and settler split up, maybe they don't.

Run into land eventually....Oh, it's just a tiny eight-tile island. Move on....

Here's a big island I think. BUT it's mostly a long stretch of desert, worthless. Move on...

This place looks cool. Oh, there's another civ's capital there. Sail down a bit....

Okay, maybe my standards are too high. Maybe I should just settle for finding a river...How about this spot? OH, there's a CS blocking me. Sail down a bit...

Here? Crap, barbarians. Sail down some more...

Whoops, tundra and ice...

And than can just go on forever.

Been there, done that, repeatedly.

This is the #1 mistake/weakness of my playing. I always have to consciously remind myself to keep producing units (at least for defense). So many games I've started out and just had to quit because I got caught with my pants down only having a warrior and two slingers because I was too greedy chasing a religion or trying to expand too rapidly.

I've found the new ribbon of all the civs and their yields has really helped me though. Since I can keep an eye on my neighbor's military score every turn, I can plan accordingly whether I need to pump out some units fast or take things easier.

Question: In case of a 'rage quit' do most of you just exit the game or actually retire?
I've yet to retire in civ vi. Maybe that would be a good discipline to add to my "no reload" approach.

I seem to recall that in one of the earliest versions of civ, retirement didn't count add as a loss, it was its own category. I like that option - you could remember the game without putting a label on the outcome. Any other series veterans remember?

Yes, me too, but I thought I had finally learned my lesson - it seems not!

Everything is more interesting than building warriors. :spank:

My first attempt at playing the Maori was on a map that had resources set to "Truly Abundant" (via the Truly Abundant Resources mod). The mod worked so well that there were virtually no resource-free plots for me to place districts in my cities! That, and I probably spent too much time looking for a good starting location, just like @steveg700

This is the #1 mistake/weakness of my playing. I always have to consciously remind myself to keep producing units (at least for defense). So many games I've started out and just had to quit because I got caught with my pants down only having a warrior and two slingers because I was too greedy chasing a religion or trying to expand too rapidly.

I've found the new ribbon of all the civs and their yields has really helped me though. Since I can keep an eye on my neighbor's military score every turn, I can plan accordingly whether I need to pump out some units fast or take things easier.

I have that enabled, and I still forget to check - hopeless!

Everything is more interesting than building warriors. :spank:

Never a truer word spoken! And to think, I even sold Genghis those horses in the first place...I'm not doing that again either!

This last game may have been as close to Rage Quit as I come.
The combination of three Barb camps constantly pumping out swords, xbows and skirmishers wears on you.
In hindsight, with my starting location I should of been more focused on military.
I was only half worried about troops and I paid for it.
When you are isolated to this much Tundra I suggest that you focus on killing camps asap.
The mixture of the Barbs and my somewhat desolate land just convinced me to restart the game.
Not to mention only one CS meet that was Religious.
This is one reason why I still think Military First solves many problems.
Sometimes if you don't take care of camps you can get punished for it.
Spoiler Turn 65 :

Barbs 65.jpg

Spoiler Turn 72 :

Barbs 72.jpg

On Topic: Most of the games i quit on are unfinished save-games. It seems to be hard to get back in the thoughtprocess/gameplan of an older save… Anyone agree? Or handy tips that might help?
Try to save (only) at times when you're about to set up a gameplan - then you can go back and try another approach instead of just abondoning/quitting that game.

This last game may have been as close to Rage Quit as I come.
The combination of three Barb camps constantly pumping out swords, xbows and skirmishers wears on you.
In hindsight, with my starting location I should of been more focused on military.
I was only half worried about troops and I paid for it.
When you are isolated to this much Tundra I suggest that you focus on killing camps asap.
The mixture of the Barbs and my somewhat desolate land just convinced me to restart the game.
Not to mention only one CS meet that was Religious.
This is one reason why I still think Military First solves many problems.
Sometimes if you don't take care of camps you can get punished for it.
Spoiler Turn 65 :

Spoiler Turn 72 :
Ohhh what one would give for a heathen converter apostle (which is why I like playing Kongo so much...) theatre squares are much easier to reach than temples.

Depending on AIs tech barb crossbows can come easily sub t100... and then barb coursers (yikes!)
At least in the tundra there are no horse barbs (due to horses not existing)

Get walls and you're OK, but you lose all your improvements, districts and routes in the meanwhile.

Top Bottom