Your greatest fears

A reason to fear bad games? I guess I prefer games I enjoy to ones I don't.

Just one of my quirks I guess. Although I suppose that's more disdain than fear.

Either way, my greatest apprehension about any game is that it won't be good.

Reason to think it will be a bad game.

I don't know enough about it to assume it will be, but if you're asking about my greatest fear then that would be it.

The fear that it won't come together to create an experience that makes it engaging or addictive enough to warrant replaying.

I don't know enough about it to assume it will be, but if you're asking about my greatest fear then that would be it.

The fear that it won't come together to create an experience that makes it engaging or addictive enough to warrant replaying.

Anyways, I can see no reason to think it could be a bad game. At the moment, we have a lot to think it will be good, maybe the best civ game.

My fear is that the AI will be dissapointing as in Civ 5.

Reason to think it will be a bad game.

Because some people used to believe there are no reason to think Firaxis will release a bad, new Civ game, they was really confident and then the game come out and they ate their own word.

Some might think judging the new civ game without expansion (that would take at least a year to be made) is too harsh though. But I find people who want something fun and playable from $60 are not entirely wrong, and I assume those people are the same group of people who hype for the game at first.

Because some people used to believe there are no reason to think Firaxis will release a bad, new Civ game, they was really confident and then the game come out and they ate their own word.

Some might think judging the new civ game without expansion (that would take at least a year to be made) is too harsh though. But I find people who want something fun and playable from $60 are not entirely wrong, and I assume those people are the same group of people who hype for the game at first.

Well, I was very dissapointed when Civ 5 was released. It turned me off (bugs and poor AI), and I did not play it untill two expansions were released. I will never pre-order any game.

Solid release dates being the cause of an unfinished game.
Lack of complexity.
Inability to skip animations.
Poor modability,

I think these probably top my list, although I agree with most of the non-graphics issues raised. Long-term, modability is probably going to be my thing (I probably got an extra 1,500 hours out of Civ 5 because of mods).

As a first-time modder, dabbling in small stuff like world wonders, ModBuddy was absolutely horrible to work with and about as useful as a solar powered torch as it didn't actually test your code against the game and highlight errors. Spending six weeks loading the game in order to test a single change is no way to run a railroad.

It was also irksome that that we couldn't add our own natural wonders, couldn't make natural wonders spawn in random locations on a map, couldn't have fixed strategic resources with random luxuries (or vice versa) and that so much stuff in the database was actually inaccessible; as an example, I wanted to mod cargo ships so that they could cross oceans from turn one, but Firaxis in their wisdom seem to have hard coded it not to work.

Everything I have heard has me really excited, my only fear is can the AI handle all of these changes

New fear: The wonder race dissappearing due to insane terrain requirements.

AI inadequacy is probably on most people's fear list, especially after vanilla Civ V and BE.

My biggest fear so far is going too far with terrain requirements for Wonders and not being able to build super-capitals or super-cities. Firaxis seems to be pushing specialized cities, which is fine, just don't take it so far that OCC is not viable or fun anymore.

Top fears:
-Game is poorly optimized and runs slowly on too many machines
-Games take way too long to finish. For me the biggest problem with 1 UPT is how tedious large-scale movement of armies is. That's something the stacks handled very well.

New fear: The wonder race dissappearing due to insane terrain requirements.
We already know that some wonders have requirements that most civs will have in a typical game - adjacent to a science district, on a hill, etc. So there will still be races.

Although the more I think about it, the more I realize that i almost never actually have a fair wonder race in Civ V. Either I build a wonder I am fairly sure the AI won't build (usually because of their tech but often through metagame knowledge about how the AI works) or else if it's a real race I'll just open an old save if i have to. Losing to building a wonder by 1 turn is just too annoying and costly. I know, other players are more honest with reloading, but I'm not sure everyone *really* wants wonder races. It's a big sacred cow of the game, I guess. But the game has made different attempts to compensate for the loss of a wonder race, and all of the solutions have some problem.

Honesty, it's still a Wonder race, but it's more of a Tour de France than a French Grand Prix.

Civ V Wonder Race:
Get the Tech
Produce the Wonder

Civ VI Wonder Race:
Build a City near appropriate tile
Build any required Districts and Buildings
Get the Tech/Civic
Produce the Wonder

Honesty, it's still a Wonder race, but it's more of a Tour de France than a French Grand Prix.

Civ V Wonder Race:
Get the Tech
Produce the Wonder

Civ VI Wonder Race:
Build a City near appropriate tile
Build any required Districts and Buildings
Get the Tech/Civic
Produce the Wonder

Very well said. :) That's what I was thinking as well.

I think the new "race" is a big improvement and will be much more interesting. Plus, the requirements don't look very "insane" so far; many just require an adjacent district type, that's it. The biggest requirements so far is that some require an adjacent district type plus a specific building in that district, that's it. Actually, probably Stonehenge is the most difficult so far, since it's an early wonder and requires an adjacent stone resource. But, as long as plenty of time is available to expand before Stonehenge roughly becomes available to all (along with all the other wonders, like the Pyramids and its desert requirement), it'll at least be less based on starting luck.

Very well said. :) That's what I was thinking as well.

I think the new "race" is a big improvement and will be much more interesting. Plus, the requirements don't look very "insane" so far; many just require an adjacent district type, that's it. The biggest requirements so far is that some require an adjacent district type plus a specific building in that district, that's it. Actually, probably Stonehenge is the most difficult so far, since it's an early wonder and requires an adjacent stone resource. But, as long as plenty of time is available to expand before Stonehenge roughly becomes available to all (along with all the other wonders, like the Pyramids and its desert requirement), it'll at least be less based on starting luck.

And it makes sense that Stonehenge should have such tough requirements. It's basically a shortcut to having a religion.

And it makes sense that Stonehenge should have such tough requirements. It's basically a shortcut to having a religion.

So, basically nearby stone = early religion? (I know there will probably be other factors)

My greatest fear is modability.

I enjoy Super Powers mod far more than base Civ5, and the new features added in Civ6 would only made it even better. Especially with unpacked cities, having 5 radius cities with a minimum distance of 4 on huge maps with an incredibly slow research pace so I can have epic battles in every era... Add in all the other fantastic ideas people come up with all the time, and the only way I can truly enjoy a Civ game the way I want to enjoy a Civ game, is with really good modding options.

Chiming in with the fear that the A.I. is just atrocious. Civ5 was the easiest game of the series (for me) for this exact reason. I could play on the highest difficulties with barely breaking a sweat - something I typically avoided in previous versions cause it took too much effort and I like to sort of RP my games... but anything under the highest two difficulties was just ridiculously easy on civ5 unless I intentionally allowed the A.I. to get away with it's stupidity - which just robbed the game of all of the fun.

A pretty scathing review, I know... but when you can cripple an entire civilizations growth because you can block a settler from it's desired destination for 100 turns because it spends 8 turns trying to go around you to the left, only to spend another 8 turns trying to go around you to the right after you shift the configuration of units that are blocking the terrain is utterly ridiculous and pretty unforgivable.

"Don't do it" isn't a solution to the problem (neither are mods). Likewise and for the same reasons, I shouldn't be able to conquer an army of 30 units with 10 just because the penultimate final version of the game a.i. still had no idea how to wage a war. Well.. maybe we should be able to get away with that some of the time... because that's cool.. but it shouldn't be so easy and it should come at the hands of your superior strategic play... not the inferiority of the A.I.

I tend to chalk it up to civ5's design goals biting off more than it could chew when basically redefining the series - so I'm much more optimistic for the next step forward with hexes, 1upt, and true strategic (tactical) gameplay.

I am fearful of things being too dumbed down, I would rather a complex game with a high learning curve than a game that is too easy. At least with more difficulty, I can learn the more I play.

Top Bottom