• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Your opinion of the American South

American South

• Very Favorible (Love it)

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Favorible

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Somewhat Favorible

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Its a love/hate thing

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Somewhat Unfavorible

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • Unfavorible

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Very Unfavorible (Despise it)

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • I dunno, never been there....

Votes: 10 13.7%

• Total voters

YotoKiller

Warlord
What is you general opinion and thoughts of the states below the Mason-dixon line?

The South (Also known as Dixie) is most decidedly a different world compared to that of the rest of the US. The protostant Bible Belt represents one of the more conservative area of the US. Its also unique in that the South still retains its non-rhotic accents from England. (Southern Accent). Food is also different. Meats are deep fried and beverages seem to be mostly ice and sweet tea.

Alot unlikely things have originated from the US South such as Coca Cola and Classic Rock and Roll such as Elvis, Buddy Holly, and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

The South is more known for its stereotypes and its dark history of Slavery and segregation along racist and anti-government terrorist groups such as the KKK and Eric Rudolph. Although the KKK has since lost support in the South and are more active in Mid-Western states.

Also many people blame the South East for the reason George W Bush has been elected twice. These make the American south a very unpopular and even despised place in some parts of the world.

Hollywood, like it has with many groups has reenforced much of the stereotypes. The two most common villains in hollywood movies are Southerners and Germans. :crazyeye: -Pulp Fiction- :lol:

I voted favorable. You Southerners are alright in my book. The South has decent folks overall and they are generally Republican. It's just a shame you aren't Catholic and wave that rebellious flag around. :p

My vote should count extra, because I've actually have been to the South and met it's people. :yeah:

I've lived in Texas most of my life in a suburb around Dallas called Plano. It’s a very nice (rich) neighborhood but people tend to be spoiled (at least around here), competitive, well-educated (not necessarily well informed though), and reclusive since the houses are like palaces. The biggest thing that bothers me about Texas and most of the South is the weather. Heat in the summer time is sometimes unbearable with temperatures reaching over 100 degrees Fahrenheit for weeks on end. I can't stand the heat! I sweat like a pig even though I'm in fairly good physical condition and its hard to get regular exercise without joining an air-conditioned gym.

Now I attend university in Idaho. The weather is MUCH better. You actually see the changes in the seasons whereas Texas was Spring, Summer, Summer, and Fall. Best of all, I can actually walk outside and ride my bike WITHOUT SWEATING! People are much more down to earth and friendlier around here even though a lot of people pester me about Christianity.

Plano isn’t a bad place to live if you're into suburban life.

What the average Plano homes look like...

YotoKiller said:
Its also unique in that the South still retains its non-rhotic accents from England. (Southern Accent).

1) "non-rhotic" accents are found all across the US, including New England, which is about as far from the South as you can get.

2) I would argue that the Southern Accent, while perhaps similar to something found in some corner of England (it had to develop from something, after all), is very distinctive and not easily confused with anything in England.

Brazil is a very interesting country. Buenos Aires looks like a fascinating city. Well, there would be a lot more to say, but unfortunately, I really must go now.

EDIT : I know you meant the US South. However, not calling it US South made me uncomfortable so I just wanted you to notic it would have been wiser to call it this way.

I hate the stereo-type. It seems that even most Americans have an backwards view of the former Confederacy (well except Florida, cuz it's now officially a province of New York, or upper-class New York City). When I go to D.C. and get asked if I have an alligator for a pet and ride a pirogue (pee-row) to school, I have serious doubts about people's intelligence.

Marla_Singer said:
Brazil is a very interesting country. Buenos Aires looks like a fascinating city. Well, there would be a lot more to say, but unfortunately, I really must go now.
I think he means the southern portion of the United States, not South America

Soth carolina all the way!

U have to admit the south is pretty smart. Tennesee and Arkansas, for example, both voted Bush even though thats where both Gore and Clinton held governorships (Tennesee has even voted for the winning candidate in the last 11 elections).

Those that say that all sotherners are drooling racists are themselves racists ("regionists"?)

One of the few stereotypes that CAN be enforced about the south is their sothern hospitality. It cant be beat ;) :goodjob:

Arminius said:
I hate the stereo-type. It seems that even most Americans have an backwards view of the former Confederacy (well except Florida, cuz it's now officially a province of New York, or upper-class New York City). When I go to D.C. and get asked if I have an alligator for a pet and ride a pirogue (pee-row) to school, I have serious doubts about people's intelligence.

In DC, they should know that you don't need to ride an alligator, you have slaves to drive your carriage. ;)

True non-rhotic accents are found primarily in the south-eastern US, according to wikipedia its the southern accent that is more distinctively closer to its origins.

YotoKiller said:
True non-rhotic accents are found primarily in the south-eastern US, according to wikipedia its the southern accent that is more distinctively closer to its origins.

The same article goes on to say that they are also found in New England. In fact, the New England accents are probably much more famous for being non-rhotic than the Southern accent is, since it is the New England accent's only major difference, whereas the Southern accent is much more distinctive in other areas.

Marla_Singer said:
I know you meant the US South. However, not calling it US South made me uncomfortable so I just wanted you to notic it would have been wiser to call it this way.[/I]

Uh... what's the difference, exactly?

What is Rhotic and non-rhotic accents?

I never been there personaly but from the way I've heard peopele talk Its kind of wierd. Some children in south sound like Australians but as they age it transforms into a very distinctive kind of accent like nothing I've ever heard before in english. A very unique and distinct culture they have.

Bizon77 said:

"Rhotic" is a fancy way of saying "has an r", with non-rhotic meaning "doesn't have an r".

the South ROCKS, especially Texas.

Come on... the accent of a Southern Bell is the second most attractive accent in the world (Irish being first).

Also, Rodeos are cool, and so are the people.

As for the south... I live in Virginia, and lived in North Carolina for a couple of years (although too long ago for me to have much of an opinion). I'm fine with it, except the weather's a bit too hot and humid (near the coast, not the mountains where I am now) for me.

Overall, I don't see too much difference between the people of different states or even regions... I've lived all over, but the only two places I really remember are Kansas and Virginia, although I've vacationed in Vermont, Idaho, Minnesota, Michigan, and a couple other places for long periods of time (2+ weeks). Each area has its regional quirks, but really, American culture and whatnot is pretty unified from what I've seen.

Falcon02 said:
the South ROCKS, especially Texas.

Come on... the accent of a Southern Bell is the second most attractive accent in the world (Irish being first).

Also, Rodeos are cool, and so are the people.
Rodeos are in the south west, not the southeast, although Texas is in both regions..

SeleucusNicator said:
The same article goes on to say that they are also found in New England. In fact, the New England accents are probably much more famous for being non-rhotic than the Southern accent is, since it is the New England accent's only major difference, whereas the Southern accent is much more distinctive in other areas.

Yes, this also true from your standpoint.

What SN said.

For instance, the intrusive 'r' is common. Such as the use of the word "idea." In the American south. "idea" rymes with fear. "I have an Idea're."

The south's nice, I guess. I'm not ideologically compatible with most of the people, but most of them are really nice. It's not so different as some might think, though, especially among the younger contingent. While we do probably have an unusually large "redneck" population, technological innovations have ensured that our experience isn't necessarily that much different than that of people in other places. The main knock on my area is that, for young people, there isn't much to do. Maybe that's why there are so many pregnant girls at the high school... :hmm:

And maybe I don't speak for the rest of the south, but, around here, barbeque* is much more popular than deep fried things. Oh, and casseroles. :)

Oh, and we have internet access, too. But I'm sure you figured that already. (A few years ago, in a debate concerning (I believe) a proposal dealing with putting some type of information on General Assembly proceedings on the internet, a State lawmaker (from another part of the state, obviously) implied that, in the southwest of the state, internet access was scarce, a remark to which I (and others, I'm sure) took umbrage.)

So yeah, the south's good, I guess. But I think I'll reserve my final judgement after I try a few other places first...

*barbeque, sometimes written bar-b-que, bar-b-q, or just bbq, usually refers to pulled pork. It may be used in other situations (chicken or beef cooked by a process that yields similar results), but it is more than just grilled meat with barebeque sauce on top. And it's really good, too! :)

Top Bottom