1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your preferred OS(s)...

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by WhiteEagle22, Sep 4, 2008.

?

Preferred OS(s)

1. Windows (XP, Vista, 2000, etc.)

38 vote(s)
    84.4%
  2. Apple OS

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. Linux distro (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Red Hat etc.)

15 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. WhiteEagle22

WhiteEagle22 Avatar of Justice

What Operating System do you prefer to use?

Personally, I use Ubuntu (a Linux distro) most of the time now, but read my email in my Winows XP mail program. If I could get my email to work in Evolution, I'd totally abandon XP for a while.:D Plus, freeciv is on Ubuntu, and I can play as my nation, Canada!:goodjob:

2. Shadylookin

Shadylookin master debater

I primarily use ubuntu. Sometimes I play around with other linux distos. On occasion I'll use vista or xp when I have to.

3. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Primarily Vista, but I've got at least one linux distro open in a virtual machine pretty much all the time.

4. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

XP is my primary, my laptop has W2K on it (its old). Ive also tried Ubuntu multiple times but it has problems with dual booting on my PC, so its not currently installed.

I plan to get Vista within 6 months if I get a new pc since it will be better suited for the hardware by then.

5. Aramazd

Aramazd Deity

Primarily Vista(desktop) and XP(laptop); I also dual boot Ubuntu, but honestly I hardly use it.

6. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Vista. I really like Vista.

7. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

Vista at work. :cringe: It is not preferred by any means, it's just that I haven't got a say in the matter.

At home, the functional laptop has Windows 98 SE. I bought the thing in 1999, I hope you understand.

The semi-functional desktop at home dual-boots XP Pro and Ubuntu. I don't do much with either, but I usually boot Ubuntu because it's much shinier and much nicer. I've still got to buy a new wireless card and a new monitor for that money hole. :(

8. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

I wiped Windows off my home desktop years ago. I run PCLinuxOS.

My wife has XP on her laptop, and Vista on her new desktop. She is averse to change, and Windows is her "comfort zone". Although, if she had another copy of XP, she'd wipe Vista off her desktop.

At work, Windows XP is the "corporate desktop", so I must use it for email, etc. But all my real work is done on UNIX/Linux servers, so when I get in, I just fire up terminal windows to the ones I need, and go to town in the proper *NIX way! ;)

9. Till

Till Adventurer

I use XP + cygwin on my desktop and 2k + cygwin on the laptop.
    The server runs Debian, which has become my favourite distribution. It runs flawlessly on that 600Mhz dinosaur without being anywhere as bothersome to maintain as Slackware.

10. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

I am happy with XP, i'm stuck with Vista :(

11. taper

taper Meet Tux

My three active computers at home run Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and Fedora. My desktop has XP dual boot, but I haven't used it in months. XP at work(no choice). I'm going to give Arch Linux a shot on the Xubuntu machine pretty soon. I doubt I'll ever buy another Windows license.

12. WhiteEagle22

I agree about never buying another Windows license. I may just stick with Ubuntu as it runs so well on this 3 year old machine.

13. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I prefer to use Windows XP and do at home. It just works well. However, I've been using Solaris 9 and Red Hat Linux more on university computers (which also have XP), and I don't really mind them. But I don't tweak them as much as XP, so I'm not sure how I'd like using them all the time - Vista worked well enough when I did the stuff I do on Solaris/Red Hat, too, but didn't for more heavy-duty stuff. I tried Ubuntu Linux but it wasn't nearly as intuitive as Windows in terms of drivers and installing software et. al., so I haven't used it this year.

I have imported some Unix commands into Windows, however. They work well enough, so now I've got XP with a few of my favorite Unix commands working natively as well. Which only means XP is more tweaked to my liking and I'm more likely to stick with it.

Overall though everything just works well for me right now in XP, so I see little reason to change. If I were reformatting I might put both XP and Solaris 10 on (Unix, not Linux - forgot Unix in the poll :cringe:), but I had to reformat enough with Vista that I don't plan to again for quite a long time.

14. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I'm used to Windows. I once tried Linux and got lost, but that was several years ago, so maybe I'll get one of the ones you can boot off a CD or DVD and try it again.
    I also used Apple in school. Modern Apple, not the elementry school Macs I was talking about. But I kept misplacing files.

15. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Perfer Windows.

16. Macha

Macha King

The only thing between me and using PCLinuxOS the whole time is I'm too cheap to get a proper wireless adapter dongle and I am still using the one that came free with my router which is useless and non-Linux compatible.

17. Fetus4188

Fetus4188 Deity

Vista on my main desktop, use Linux distros in the lab and plan to have one on my eventual laptop.

I guess you could break it down to Windows for play/work and linux for work.

18. WhiteEagle22

I use WINE on my Ubuntu for Windows games, and so far, it works great. :D

19. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

I have no reason to leave Windows for others

20. Beam

Beam Beat 'm up Scotty! Retired Moderator

Ubuntu for everything at home including BtS. :)