1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Zero day DLC = disrespecting the customer

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by phungus420, May 7, 2010.

1. Krill

Krill Deity

No person is bad if they buy the deluxe version, but they are acting in short term self interests.

2. Avs

Avs Warlord

Maybe...in a turn of brilliant marketing, they will quadruple the bonus content before release so that people will compare the previous bonus content to the new offerings and be compelled to buy it.

3. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

But the guy that brings that idea up at Firaxis gets fired by 2K.. and instead they offer the quad bonus content into 4 DLC packs immediately after release for $10 each. In turn because of pressure from Valve to do so, so they can all fill their greedy pockets.

4. Auncien

Auncien Prince

No, your willingness to make a legal purchase in good faith does not make you a bad person at all. One can play ball and still genuinely dislike or criticize the rules of the game. That's called real life.

5. 2K Elizabeth

2K Elizabeth <span style="font-weight:bold; text-decoration: un

Civilization V will have a notice explaining internet is required for activation. All our games that require that have a notice on the box.

6. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Mass Effect II is seriously mainstream, is barely monthes old, is certainly not "low-profile" and though it had lots of online-related content, it was all optionnal, could be de-activated and relied simply on a serial key and CD-check.
    Funnily, it is the sequel of a game that HAD a very troubled start when it came to copy protection - guess it got better.

For the record, Dragon Age had the exact same protection and optionnal online content, and is also quite recent - but it's the same company, so...

The funny thing is : it's not that I have a very hard time finding a recent game without intrusive DRM, it's more that I have a very hard time finding a recent game that was actually interesting enough that I considered buying it.
    Isn't it amusing how restrictive copy protection and money-grabbing techniques happens inversely proportionnally to the amount of quality games ? You could nearly imagine a cause-effect relationship, the more producer think about money, the less they think about quality.

This aside, the "it's now a fact so we must jump in the bandwagon" is just so plainly dumb that I can't really believe it's used as a supposed argument.

7. Donkeyman

Donkeyman Chieftain

Valve sure does love charging for content, that must be why they release massive patches of free content for Team Fortress 2 on a monthly basis.

8. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

Ever heard of rebates and giveaways for cars?
    Why do they do it? Since they have become generous?

9. Donkeyman

Donkeyman Chieftain

Rebates exist so car manufacturers can make some extra cash off those individuals who can't be bothered to send in the necessary form to get their cash back. Giveaways are typically done to attract buyers to a product with a benefit beyond the basic value of the product. The analogy of a giveaway is a good one for Valve though, because that's exactly what they've been doing with their current flagship shooter, TF2.

Valve makes tons of free content for Team Fortress 2 so they can continue to attract new customers to a game that's been out since 2007 (I would know, I've been playing it since then), but they provide that content free of charge to anyone who buys the game. I fail to see how my receiving new content that both provides me with new equipment to play with and attracts new opponents for me to shoot is a bad thing in any way. Accusing Valve of being responsible for Firaxis charging for DLC, as the guy I quoted in my previous post did, is ridiculous because Valve doesn't even charge for its own DLC.

10. Krill

Krill Deity

Valve have nothing to do with 2K. They are separate companies...

11. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Although Valve does not determine prices for DLC from other companies, it only makes sense that Valve makes money from people buying anything off the Valve 3rd party program. Users are disappointed that more companies do not do like TF2 did with free content.

Civ5 has shown that it will likely not be in that category since they are charging $10 more for 1 civ, which is nothing "new and exciting", on Day 0.

12. Barney's_Soul

Barney's_Soul Warlord

DLC in itself is not a bad idea, however, I really don't want to be paying to crap DLC every month that adds like 1 leader/civilization. Games like GTA4 did DLC correctly, where it was more like a downloadable expansion.

I'm dissapointed that Firaxis is already creating a rift between people who buy the Deluxe Edition and those who don't. What will mods like Ryse and Fall do?

13. Krill

Krill Deity

http://kotaku.com/5545662/tf2-maps-get-a-stimulus

I agree, free DLC and hence no restrictions to modding, and I'd love 2K. Paid for DLC minimods, and I'll pass of the game. It comes down to price

And again for those that don't seem to understand: this is not Firaxis trying to screw over the customer. They do not get a say in this. These decisions are only made by the Publisher, with possible outside pressure from the owners (Rockstar IIRC?)

14. spaztek

spaztek Chieftain

X2

This does not make one feel like an appreciated customer. My main worry is to repeat the experience of ETW.

15. Thyrwyn

Thyrwyn Guardian at the Gate

There is no reason that the presence (or absence) of an additional civ would interfere with any mod.

16. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

See my remark here.

17. Thyrwyn

see my remark right after :)

18. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

This is blatantly false. There are numerous file conflict considerations to take into account. Let me see your modding work for any game, and I'll take your opinion on modding conflicts into consideration, but we both know you're just talking out your ass here.

19. Thyrwyn

It all depends on how the implement the file structures for civilizations in Civ V. If they follow Civ IV's model, then my statement would be incorrect.

But, inherently, there is no reason there has to be an issue. If each civ is created as an instance of a class, with a self contained, requisite file structure, then why could you not simply drop each complete civ into one, requisite folder. Other than the graphics (UU, UB, Leader) each civ is just data. The game takes an inventory of the "Civilizations" file when it initializes - why should it care if there are 18 or 19 civs in that file?

20. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

A new civ runs tendrils throughout the game mechanics; new UUs, UBs, artstyles, leader, etc, etc. Modularlizing this, while possible (and is done by many civ4 mods), will create compatibility and development nightmares, no matter how it's implemented. Perhaps Shafer was misinformed when he made his statements about exposing the dll, but I don't see how one is going to be able to package majore overhaul mods like RevDCM for the new modding download hub, that will be able to take into account the shattered codebase that will result from a DLC aproach to adding content. Just look at Civ4 mods as an example, you can't just pick and choose modules; some mods claim that they can be added this way, but in practice it simply does not work.