1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Zero day DLC = disrespecting the customer

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by phungus420, May 7, 2010.

1. Chalks

Chalks The blue pieces

Oh wow.

Well, I certainly can't argue with that.

:crazyeye:

2. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

I hate DLC, it's just a way to sell an expansion in 6 blocks of 10$ (60$) instead of one big pack for 30$. I can't believe people fall for it. If you're ready to pay 10$ for Babylon (let's not talk about Behind-the-scene stuff, the stuff that actually qualifies for what people call "Deluxe", aka NOT game content), then you should probably have shelled out 150$ for Warlods and Beyond the Sword.

So yeah, I hate DLC to start with. Releasing it for 10$ on day zero is taking it beyond my rage point. I may punch a hole in the wall right now.

Actually Firaxis, please just keep Babylon for yourself and don't release it. Instead, keep it and wait for one year or 1,5 years, then release it with 5-10 other civilizations and a few gameplay changes, call it an expansion pack and sell it at a non-rape price of 30$.

PS: I can just hope I resist the temptation. I buy several games every month and have never bought a deluxe edition unless it was on special or way after the release. Never. But civ is probably the most important game series for me and I'll probably be quite annoyed if I'm playing a Babylon-handicapped version of the game. A civilization influences a whole game, its presence, absence, personality, can have an impact on every game you play. It's not like that armor you wore once in Mass Effect or the Night goggles that came with your Modern warfare 2, or the little XP boost they gave you which quickly became obsolete in gameplay...

3. deanej

deanej Deity

And if you had actually bothered to read the rest of my post, you would have realized what I meant. I can't think of a better way to put it. The point is, civ4 is the most moddable game in existence.

4. Chalks

Chalks The blue pieces

Do you actually expect me to say anything other than "stop being so silly"?

Moderator Action: If you have nothing to add to a discussion, don't post. Flaming is not adding to a discussion.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

5. EdCase

EdCase Defender of the Faithless

Half-life 2 and Unreal III (and that's just two off the top of my head) would very much like to differ ;)

Also, to the guy who partially quoted me... Babylon as deluxe bonus messes with single player hall of fame comparisons ?
    Really ?
    You're serious ?
    Please tell me no, as that is just ridiculous.

6. Jeckel

Jeckel Great Reverend

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to have just said that the whole used game industry is illegal. The are lots of small shops that sell used games, files, manual and box, all of which contain copyrighted materials. Game Stop is a good example of a chain that buys and sells used games and I've never heard of any charges against people that sell their games to Game Stop or buy used games from there.

The only people that think video game IP is some how different under the law then any other intellectual property are the video game industry and consumers that the industry has convinced of it.

When you buy a game, you may not own the IP to the content of the game, but you own the disc and the copy of the game that is on it. Just like a car you can trade it, loan it, sell it, break it, etc.

According to your interpretation, you may own the disk-holder, the cardboard of the box, and the paper of the manual, but the images on the box and all images and text in the manual are covered by copyright (and most likely the EULA and maybe their own license to boot) just like the game data on the disk is.

Could you explain why you think the content of a video game disc has more rights under the law then any other product, and more specifically, why the IP of the game data would be handled any differently then the IP of the art in the manual or on the box?

You got me there, the leasing metaphor is weak, I followed the car analogy to far. Let me put it another way.

In five, ten, fifteen years, when the online host, the publisher, or both stop supporting the game, who's game is more "real", those with a disc or those with an online "ownership" but no where to get the files?

7. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

deanej is right. There seriously is not much more freedom you could give modders than with civ4. If civ5 is to have "unprecedented modding capabilities" which to many means modding capabilities at least as good as civ4's, then they're going to have a tough job making that come true.

It's completely reasonable as a consumer to be cynical of very early marketing hype. A representative of 2K games has told the civfanatics community that details about modding are still being worked out. If you want to just believe, then yeah, civ5 modding will be better than ever. If you want to be pragmatic, which I suspect most modders are, you deal with the information available and not just the hype.

8. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Actually, it's around single month from "going gold" to release. Although there is usually a code lock some time earlier, but at that time game is still in development (bug hunting), and changes can happen.

9. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

unlock the EXE

10. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

I have to agree though... very sleezy move. Digital Download is much less expensive for the company than having to put an actual product together. They are saving alot of money by persuading people to go digital. And if they are charging $10 more for hardly any additional content, then it is pretty pathetic...

If anything, the digital download package should be $10 cheaper.

But not unexpected... Firaxis was always a respectable company in my eyes for a long time until their 2K publisher entered the picture. Now everyone sees the disgusting UBISOFT-like Firaxis emerging, and the majority are trying desperately to justify Firaxis' evil, corrupt and deceitful practices in any way they can; in a vain attempt to fool themselves out of believing it is actually happening to the gaming company and game they hold dear to their heart.

11. Sareln

Sareln Warlord

Something to keep in mind:
    The price of a game from a digital distributor is not determined in a vacuum.

In other discussions of digital distribution and price-points, I've heard that digital distributors often have to match price to the physical copies on the shelves of the big box stores. This is the price paid so that the big box stores will carry the game on their shelves, basically a non-compete. This is also why digital distributors offer humongous sales from time to time, since that gets around such contractual issues. We, as internet-saavy and dedicated fans, tend to underestimate how many units are still sold at retail, as opposed to digitally; but it's important to keep in mind that we are probably not the huge majority we'd like to think we are.

It could be the publisher going: "oh yeah, they're used to paying 60 USD for their console games, so forking over the same amount for my AAA PC release is no problem!", but I think it is more likely that it is the result of publisher negotiations with multiple distributors, who each have varying amounts of leverage based on projected unit sales.

edit: added "something to keep in mind:"

12. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

^
    The complaint in this thread has nothing to do with price, or even Steam in general. In fact, I clearly state in the OP that Steam is probably one of the least intrusive DRMs around, and so while I personally would prefer a hard copy, I don't fault Firaxis for going this route.

The issue at hand is Firaxis removing content to package as day zero DLC. Once a firm goes this route they are de facto stating they are only interested in short term profit; the customer and long term viability be damned. Firaxis can't maintain a vibrant community like it does now with modding, or maintain high sales 5 years post release with such an attitude. I fully expect this DLC bilking to rake in some cash over the short term, but by destroying the modding community (which unstandardizable mini DLC components like Babylon must do in order to not be destroyed by competition from mods) Take 2 and Firaxis are ensuring that Civ5 will not continue on years later as a top seller. Keep in mind mods and the general community (word of mouth etc), help spur on sales of full expansion packs. DLC removes any milestone standard from which to work from, and takes away any community based incentives that spur XP purchases. This move is all about short term profits at the expense of long term potential; it will also wreck havok with modding. Imagine if you will that Civ4 had 20 $5 DLCs, all with major locks on the DLC assets so that modders were forbidden to work with it. In such an environment how would succession games, awesome mods like the BUG mod, or even a coherent strategies and tips forum be viable? The answer is it wol't and that's what we are seeing being done here.

13. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

I went looking through Steam last night and I'm pretty sure I saw the option to burn the game to disc

14. arthat

arthat Chieftain

This is ridiculous.

If you're so poor you can't afford the extra dough you shouldn't even be spending money on videogames.

The nerve some people have. If DLC sucked then it would have faded away by now. The reason it is around is due to demand. If it is released in 1 month or in 1 year is irrelevant.

If you want it pay up. Otherwise, keep quiet, buy the regular stuff and forget DLC even exists.

15. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

I don't see the point of vehemently defending minimal content for offensive prices like that. What do you gain by doing that? I hope you still have money to buy the lube.

DLC sucks, it hasn't disappeared because people can't be bothered to remember the service they used to have.

Anyone remember when we used to have free meals on the plane?

I have money to pay up, but the reason I have money to pay up is because I am more critical than that towards scam.

16. snowlyon

snowlyon Chieftain

so very true and I personally think a good number of people here tend to forget or ignore...~

17. arthat

arthat Chieftain

I did not defend minimal content for offensive prices.

I said if you want DLC, pay for it. As in, if you want those potatoes, pay for them. Hard to grasp?

I didn't say I wanted or needed DLC either but whatever.

This is DLC. It is a luxury. You want it, you pony up.

18. deanej

deanej Deity

This debate isn't about money anyways. It's about not everyone having the same game anymore.

19. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

A map, a shiny metal box, a soundtrack, behind-the-scene, early access to stuff, etc. That is luxury. Game content (especially on release day), not a luxury. Part of the game. I'd say "hard to grasp?" or "what nerve you have", but that'd be a really obnoxious "my opinion is fact" attitude wouldn't it.

20. Sephi

Sephi Deity

who knows, maybe that Babylon stuff is simply a mini mod that you need to load via a menu option.

Civ4 is definetly not the most moddable game. Any open source game is more moddable :p. Also Mods like WoC or BUG add a lot of moddability, so there is still potential.