Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Can you provide me a recipe I can use to see and test this? Some file where I can comment in/out a mission def or something that will reproduce it?

I do not understand your question. So I will try and restate what I said and hope that answers whatever it is that you are asking.:D

The Great Engineer comes with a dll mission to hurry production. It is all done in the dll somewhere. The production only completes the current building it does not carry over. This is the correct action for the GE since his speciality is to complete any one building, particularly wonders.

The question is should we have a new mission for merchant caravans and treasures which carries their hammer contribution over like normal production is. Similar to what the butcher animal mission does.

The microwave plant is based on the Sim City 2000 microwave plan which if it when wrong would start to microwave your city with its beam from space.

The utility fog I am guessing is simulating the "gray goo" effect where the utility fog starts deconstructing all matter and replicating endlessly.

So you like what it adds to gameplay? If you do, then what do I need to change to get rid of it? It should be easy to mod out myself.

The "grey goo" problem would have to be a deliberate attempt. If they're doing this for the "utility fog" concept, then there's won't be grey goo. It doesn't require a self-replicator.

"Drexler more recently conceded that there is no need to build anything that even resembles a potential runaway replicator. This would avoid the problem entirely. In a paper in the journal Nanotechnology, he argues that self-replicating machines are needlessly complex and inefficient."

A solar satellite would be beaming down microwaves at a low frequency and intensity. I don't see how it would flash cook anything. NASA has looked into this power plant concept.

http://www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/niac/mankins_sps_alpha.html

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/news/releases/2002/02_55AR_prt.htm

"One of our main questions is how organisms will respond to sustained microwave exposure because the beam from space will be on all the time," said scientist Jay Skiles of NASA Ames Research Center in California’s Silicon Valley. Skiles has designed a series of experiments to test the effects of weak microwave illumination on plants at 2.45 GHz frequency. "We expect that the microwave intensity at ground level will be about a million times less than that in a typical microwave oven."

"One of our main questions is how organisms will respond to sustained microwave exposure because the beam from space will be on all the time," said scientist Jay Skiles of NASA Ames Research Center in California’s Silicon Valley. Skiles has designed a series of experiments to test the effects of weak microwave illumination on plants at 2.45 GHz frequency. "We expect that the microwave intensity at ground level will be about a million times less than that in a typical microwave oven."

There are over 30 million minutes in a lifetime. I don't think we will need 30 minutes in the microwave before feeling some ill effects.

I do not understand your question. So I will try and restate what I said and hope that answers whatever it is that you are asking.:D

The Great Engineer comes with a dll mission to hurry production. It is all done in the dll somewhere. The production only completes the current building it does not carry over. This is the correct action for the GE since his speciality is to complete any one building, particularly wonders.

The question is should we have a new mission for merchant caravans and treasures which carries their hammer contribution over like normal production is. Similar to what the butcher animal mission does.

It was the bit in your original post about having to delete the cache I was talking about. I don't follow what circumstance you have that is causing you to have to manually delete it - that's what I was asking how to reproduce.

After DH's GREAT merging of the NEW BUG/BAT/BULL it appears that the "ladyBUG" is gone and replaced with an "Alien Bug", just doesnt look good in C2C i dont think, but i will go along with everyone else's opinion??

It was the bit in your original post about having to delete the cache I was talking about. I don't follow what circumstance you have that is causing you to have to manually delete it - that's what I was asking how to reproduce.

In any game have a "Tales of Beluga" in your city. Yuo wont have any missions for it. In fact there is only one "xxx". Exit, delete the cache, start the game and load the save - you now have the mission available. This mission is the first I did using the new missions by combat class feature.

Hum. It may have been fixed in the latest updates. The debug version is older and is the one I am mostly using at the moment. Still a problem.

After DH's GREAT merging of the NEW BUG/BAT/BULL it appears that the "ladyBUG" is gone and replaced with an "Alien Bug", just doesnt look good in C2C i dont think, but i will go along with everyone else's opinion??

easy to change back. It is in the art/artdefines_interface.xml. the old button is still there. I forgot that change.

Given that the UK/Commonwealth term is "ladybird", I didn't even realise that there was supposed to be a visual connection. A green alien face makes just as much sense to me (probably slightly more, in fact).

umm, it's a grasshopper/mantis's face...

There are over 30 million minutes in a lifetime. I don't think we will need 30 minutes in the microwave before feeling some ill effects.

It would be using a phased array antenna and rectenna. If the pilot beam is lost, then the phase control system fails, and it's defocused.

"In antenna theory, a phased array is an array of antennas in which the relative phases of the respective signals feeding the antennas are varied in such a way that the effective radiation pattern of the array is reinforced in a desired direction and suppressed in undesired directions."

Nonetheless, the energy densities are too low.

"At the Earth's surface, a suggested microwave beam would have a maximum intensity at its center, of 23 mW/cm2 (less than 1/4 the solar irradiation constant), and an intensity of less than 1 mW/cm2 outside of the rectenna fenceline (the receiver's perimeter). These compare with current United States Occupational Safety and Health Act workplace exposure limits for microwaves, which are 10 mW/cm2, - the limit itself being expressed in voluntary terms and ruled unenforceable for Federal OSHA enforcement purposes. A beam of this intensity is therefore at its center, of a similar magnitude to current safe workplace levels, even for long term or indefinite exposure."

The microwaves are also non-ionizing.

So you like what it adds to gameplay? If you do, then what do I need to change to get rid of it? It should be easy to mod out myself.

The "grey goo" problem would have to be a deliberate attempt. If they're doing this for the "utility fog" concept, then there's won't be grey goo. It doesn't require a self-replicator.

"Drexler more recently conceded that there is no need to build anything that even resembles a potential runaway replicator. This would avoid the problem entirely. In a paper in the journal Nanotechnology, he argues that self-replicating machines are needlessly complex and inefficient."

A solar satellite would be beaming down microwaves at a low frequency and intensity. I don't see how it would flash cook anything. NASA has looked into this power plant concept.

http://www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/niac/mankins_sps_alpha.html

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/news/releases/2002/02_55AR_prt.htm

Again its just a bit of fun even if they are not realistic. Such as real meltdowns do not cause atomic explosions like bomb would.

And for the code just change it to zero disable it.

Code:
			<iNukeExplosionRand>0</iNukeExplosionRand>

A few suggestions to tweak great commanders:
what about having era-specific max limits of of available great commanders for a civ - like prehistoric max 1 GC, classical max 2 , medieval max 3 etc?

Also, think about changes regarding the upgrades the great commander can be rewarded with - for example during prehistoric times a GC could only be promoted with morale 1, flanking 1 and lightening 1 (whatever the name is for the "1st strike and 5% heal" promo).

the different upgrades are unlocked with the military tech they are aiding,
like morale 1 for great commander available with spiked clubmen tech, flanking 1 for great commander might be unlocked with slingers (binding) and the lightening 1 for great commander with atl-atls maybe.

In classical you could upgrade your commander to morale 2 with like axemen and flanking 2 with archery, lightning 2 with - i dont know, early ballistics or something.
Great Commanders are very overpowered right now as humans use them far better than Ai does, so having their abilities tied /unlocked to technological progress might make sense.

Another thing to tweak might be the stone throwers, they are collecting so much xp that its crazy. I thought about limiting their upgrade possibilities, like the ones of the great commander - so instead of an overpowered stonethrower you could end up with a fairly promoted but outdated unit at the end of prehistoric era.

Maybe cap the max xp per era. In prehistoric a unit could have max 50 xp, in classical max 100 and in medieval max 150, etc or something or tie the max xp limit not to era but to a tech and/or a civic.

Question to the modders: Is such a xp limit per era/tech/civic possible? Can promos for great commanders be unlocked with era/tech/civics?

tl;dr

tweak early great commanders and units so they don't get too strong too soon

Seems like it'll be even worse than civ5... not turn based but "you can delegate your orders for your city to other players while you're away"... well thx but WoW-like MMOs? No. Never.

A few suggestions to tweak great commanders:
what about having era-specific max limits of of available great commanders for a civ - like prehistoric max 1 GC, classical max 2 , medieval max 3 etc?

Also, think about changes regarding the upgrades the great commander can be rewarded with - for example during prehistoric times a GC could only be promoted with morale 1, flanking 1 and lightening 1 (whatever the name is for the "1st strike and 5% heal" promo).

the different upgrades are unlocked with the military tech they are aiding,
like morale 1 for great commander available with spiked clubmen tech, flanking 1 for great commander might be unlocked with slingers (binding) and the lightening 1 for great commander with atl-atls maybe.

In classical you could upgrade your commander to morale 2 with like axemen and flanking 2 with archery, lightning 2 with - i dont know, early ballistics or something.
Great Commanders are very overpowered right now as humans use them far better than Ai does, so having their abilities tied /unlocked to technological progress might make sense.

Another thing to tweak might be the stone throwers, they are collecting so much xp that its crazy. I thought about limiting their upgrade possibilities, like the ones of the great commander - so instead of an overpowered stonethrower you could end up with a fairly promoted but outdated unit at the end of prehistoric era.

Maybe cap the max xp per era. In prehistoric a unit could have max 50 xp, in classical max 100 and in medieval max 150, etc or something or tie the max xp limit not to era but to a tech and/or a civic.

Question to the modders: Is such a xp limit per era/tech/civic possible? Can promos for great commanders be unlocked with era/tech/civics?

tl;dr

tweak early great commanders and units so they don't get too strong too soon
I have some plans to limit xp further for those units but it's going to take granulating the xp system further than the Integer limit. Not too simple for me but I get the point here. I don't like the idea of absolute limits but I can totally see reducing the amount of xp gained for units that withdraw a lot or units that gain from the actions of other units on the tile.

So we have the opportunity to create even better!

I totally agree with this statement. It looks like they'll have a breakthrough in game design on their hands and it will be quite cool. But I also think we as a team may eventually be able to best it. Eventually.

While C2C is my primary game I mod I have for a long time before modding C2C modded The Sims 2. After upgrading my computer my 3DSMax6 would not work on it. To make a long story short I went back to Gmax and figured out a way to get models into SimPE again. Here is my conversion of the Civ4 Warrior in the Sims 2 as a decorative object.

You can download the object for the Sims 2 over at the PlumBob Keep.

Just thought I should share since most models I use were converted from other games like ZT2. Its nice to see content can go other direction in other games.

C2Sims huh? lol... that's kinda cool though.

Yup. And long before there was a C2C I made a Sim Caveman game. I tried to revive it a few times after but it was never the same as the first. However on my own private games I have a very complex system to follow and have a new little village. I play it now and again and some ideas from it make it into C2C and some of C2C make it into my game.

Oh and I also ran a couple Sim Space games too. They were fun but not nearly as fleshed out as the Sim Caveman game(s).

Top Bottom