Éa, The Ageless and the Divine (phase 2, alpha)

I must have, because I have logging enabled. Next time I get one of those errors though I'll make sure you get the save game too.

Edit: I'm beginning to believe that the requirements for spreading a cult are a bit too restrictive. Once I'd founded a cult, none of my other cities could be converted to the same cult.

Working back through Lua.logs...

Lyrrix post#366: Something very wrong at game init (specifically, Lua thinks it is a loaded game rather than a new game). My best guess is that this will clear up if you follow everything in HOW TO MAKE IT WORK (#4 or 7 seems like the likely culprit).

Lplate post#359(AbNilFail): Bug in Whaling boat usage (AI Dagoo player). Will be fixed in hotfix g.

Lplate post#359(Luacitynil): First error is same as above. Second error is related to city testing whether it can build Smokehouse. Also fixed in hotfix g.

Hotfix g for v9. Download and "Extract Here" inside your MODS folder.

Includes all previous hotfixes. This one fixes coding errors in whaling boat usage and testing whether a city can build smokehouse.

Edit: I'm beginning to believe that the requirements for spreading a cult are a bit too restrictive. Once I'd founded a cult, none of my other cities could be converted to the same cult.

I noticed that too, but I actually think it's a really cool way to approach these different "cults" as part of CiV's religion system. For religions like the two existing Theist ones, it totally makes sense that they should spread throughout all your cities. They're popular with the majority of the population, and they seem to have a straightforward set of religious laws that are universally recognized by all members of the faith. Same goes for the belief in "The Weave of Ea," in that it's plausible for an entire civilization's population to follow the basic belief of harmony in nature (note: I could be getting these religions' aims totally wrong, I'm just working with what I remember from the manual. Also I know nothing about religion or theology in general so if you want to call BS on what I'm writing you're probably right to do so).

The cults, on the other hand, are more specific. They're devoted to one or a couple of gods, and they focus on very specific aspects of nature: rivers, horses, wine, etc. It wouldn't make much sense for a city built in the middle of a desert to worship an ocean (well, it could, but not with the intimacy an ocean-based cult would. A desert city might hold the ocean as an ideal paradise, but a coastal city's population would naturally work the ocean into its religious beliefs because it permeates every aspect of their lives).

In Ea, I feel that the general Weave should be easy to spread to all of your cities, as it currently is. Cults, on the other hand, are pretty cool as city-specific "flavors" of the Weave. Depending on the location of your empire, you might have a few different cities with a few different cults. If you got lucky or were very smart with your city placement, you might get two or three cults in one city, giving you a variety of bonuses. Perhaps that could be another dimension/strategy to be considered in city placement: where can I put this city to reap the benefits of as many cults as possible?

I'd also love to eventually have the option to create a "custom" cult, which would give only one or a couple bonuses to your cities (akin to the Pantheons in G&K). I don't have much experience with playing as a Theist Civ, but it also be cool to have a limited degree of customization when founding Azzandarayasna.

About hoarding gold: in terms of direct bonuses, the only way I can think to encourage treasury building is to have a system like the Khazad in FfHII: the more gold/city, the more happiness/production you get. This is pretty basic and doesn't make much sense flavorwise, unless we're talking dwarfs. Perhaps one of the main benefits of having a stupidly large treasury comes from other people knowing you do; you could get a diplomacy boost with other civs from having a huge treasury ("We like you because you're rich and we want a piece of that" or "We're scared of you because you can hire a million mercenaries") and city states could be more friendly/scared of you).

The lua log in post 351 has an illegal GP.

Here's a couple more logs for you.

Attachments

• LUA.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 32
Can someone post a gamesave from shortly before an "illegal GP" error? This one is still a bit of a puzzle. The error itself is in some debug code and is only there to tell me that something unexpected is happening or some part of the code has lost track of the GP. It may be safe to play on past this, but I'm not sure...

@400cats, that's the idea exactly. In most cases you should see a good variety of these in any single pantheistic civ (or even spread to non-religious or non-pantheistic civs). It is possible for one to become dominant, however, since a) a lot of your cities may have similar geographic features, and b) these do spread like any other religion. The plan is for more (perhaps many more) of these. They aren't necessarily supposed to be balanced in their rate of appearance. I imagine some as being more specialized (rarely found in >1 city) and others (e.g., Cult of Leaves) being quite common.

More Lua log sleuthing...

Lplate post#385(LuabadargumentRand): Some bad code for the Long Wall slowing enemy units. Fixed in hotfix h.

Lplate post#385(Luafrozecaplost): Not a Lua error. The freeze was coincident with an image popup, so probably a graphic memory limitation.

Brutha2 post#355: Lots of city conquest going on here (even a city state conquered a full civ city), so very rich for new bugs to find. Found one minor graphic glitch that probably no one would notice (fixed in hotfix h). The more serious error that you saw is rather interesting. I believe a Merchant was in a city trying to establish a trade route while the city changed ownership. Fix for this may have to wait for v10 since it's rather complicated code...

I'm not sure how much the frequent lua.log posters (Lplate et al.) have gotten into city conquest. There is a lot of code there that hasn't been tested very much yet.

Hotfix h for v9. Download and "Extract Here" inside your MODS folder.

Includes all previous hotfixes. This one fixes an error in the Long Wall slowing of enemy units and a minor graphic error (trying to update city artstyle for a destroyed city).

Can someone post a gamesave from shortly before an "illegal GP" error?
Here it is. Game saved on turn 220, illegal GP message on turn 223.
Should be corresponding to the lua in post 348 of this thread.

Smoking house works.
Whaling boats still cause an error. I'll post lua logs tomorrow.
Note: This was with hotfix g.

Main error I've seen with city conquest was the cities flipping back on the next turn. Was that fixed?

Smoking house works.
Whaling boats still cause an error. I'll post lua logs tomorrow.
Note: This was with hotfix g.
Thanks. Probably I fixed one bug to reveal another 10 lines below.

Main error I've seen with city conquest was the cities flipping back on the next turn. Was that fixed?
No. That's a real stumper, since the method to change city ownership (AcquireCity) appears exactly 0 times in the mod. It could be something totally weird and unexpected, like the game engine seeing an invisible GP as a conquering unit. A savegame would help on this one.

Well. I think my conjecture above might be right. GPs reappear in a city that has been conquered (now an enemy city) and they re-conquer it back (even though they are civilian). I'll have to write a bit of code to boot them out to some valid plot. Don't think I can get that out today, but maybe tomorrow.

The previous smokehouse bug is also present in port and whalery. I'll get that into a hotfix with the above. (Or if you want to fix it yourself, go into EaCities.lua and replace "GetCityByID()" with "GetCityByID(iCity)" in the two places it occurs.)

Hotfix i for v9. Download and "Extract Here" inside your MODS folder.

Includes all previous hotfixes. This one has two fixes and two possible fixes:
  • Fixes "illegal GP" errors
  • Fixes bugs related to building Port and Whalery
  • Should fix problem building whaling boats
  • May fix problem with cities reverting to old owner after capture

The last two are untested. The last one is based only on a theory I have for the problem, but it may fix it (or avert other problems, anyway).

The first whaling boat gets built fine. It gives the option to build more but when they are completed it isn't claiming the available whale tile.

Attachments

• LuaWhaling.zip
    340.3 KB · Views: 31
Arghh... the problem with the whales is that, after I got fishing boats working, I just copied code over for whaling boats with some modification. I think v10 will be out Sunday or Monday. I'll have it fixed there for sure.

Programming time needed to add a new game mechanic (properly):

5% for the mechanic
15% for the UI
80% for AI

If you are wondering why gaming AI sucks (in general), it's because developers don't allocate programming resources as I've indicated above.

I must be really good at getting these early Lua errors....

I'm certain I've followed all the necessary steps, I'm patched to patch i, and I was playing as Sidhe headed for Ys name. Sucks because I had a really good setup... lots of food/production near my capital with a little commerce nearby too. ><;

Edit: Also... Restart Game isn't functioning for me again. >> Is patch i missing something from the earlier patches?

Edit 2: I shouldn't be able to build slaves from the beginning, should I? That's possible for some reason.

Attachments

• Lua.rar
    20.4 KB · Views: 56
@Lyrrix,

The error in your Lua.log should not happen. And Restart should work and no, you should not be able to build Slaves from the beginning.

Two possibilities:
  1. Something is wrong with your installation. Try deleting v9 and re-installing from scratch, then add hotfix i.
  2. I really screwed the pooch on hotfixes. This is possible since these are poorly tracked with no real version control or testing. But if that's the case, I'm surprised no one else has reported the same bug (maybe no one has tested hotfix i however).
v10 will be out late tonight or tomorrow, so it may not be worth the effort trying to figure out which of the above is true.

Lol I think I'll just wait for version 10 then. :mischief::bounce:

One tiny suggestion? A city with 3 of its starting plots in the ocean and sea resources (3 crab and a pearl) clustered right outside the city can't adopt the Cult of AEgir... This seems very,very wrong somehow. Perhaps the requirements could shift to 2 water tiles and a sea resource? Really I think any coastal city should be able to adopt that cult. (I still think the cults are too restrictive in their requirements.)

Also, trying to think up additional cults for you to help balance things out... Promise to pull from the same source material. (that won't be hard. lol)

Edit: Also, that Lua error happened on a fresh install of version 9 + patch i.

@Lplate,

I tried the Crown icon you posted a few pages back. This would be perfect for Take Leadership action. But it's too small to use as an action icon for either 45 or 64 size. I've attached example action icons from base game for these sizes. Mod only uses small unit panel now (45) but may use 64 at some point in the future.

Did this come from somewhere that I can grab full res image? Or, can you try again following action icon examples attached?

Top Bottom