001 Monarch Series--Germany

serttech2003

Warlord
We are starting (hopefully) what will be a series of Monarch level games.
All settings are standard:

World Size: standard
Barbs: Roaming
Continents (70% water)
Climate: normal
Temp: Temperate

culturally linked start location and Respawn are off

All victory conditions are on but we are aiming for SPACE RACE.

Deadlines: There is some flexibility here.
Confirm 'on-deck': 24 hours
Time to play turn from confirming: 48 hours
Number of turns: 20 turns for the first round, 10 turns each thereafter

Roster:

1. serttech2003
2. Lord Plebian
3. open
4. open
5. open

(cont in next post)

We will be using Germany. This should give us a bit of an edge using the scientific trait, as well as allow for some early wars to generate Great Leaders.

Civfanatics review here.

Ision's Review of Germany is here.

Standard LK house rules:
1) Worker automation of any kind is prohibited.
2) No worker purchases during the first 50 turns to avoid civ crippling.
3) Declaring war / demanding leave solely for the purpose of getting out of trade deals. This includes nonsense spying simply to force a war. Stealing techs is fine.
4) Even if not covered under exploits listed, please try not to use tactics that take advantage of holes in the game design.
5) Our trading reputation is golden - please respect it.
6) Complete your turn. It is frustrating to get a 1/2 completed turn.

These we can discuss as it becomes necessary:

following tactics are PROHIBITED:

RoP Rape - if you have to ask...

RoP Abuse that includes things such as irrigating all tiles with a city building wonders, denying resources with a RoP, putting a unit to block a land bridge, etc.

Scout resource denial - parking a scout on a resource, as the AI won't ask scouts to leave. The same scenario also applies to workers.

False Peace Treaties (must wait for the 20 years to end).

The negative science exploit - you can run a huge deficit (-250 / turn) of negative cash with a token penalty of one lost worker / cheap building. If cash will go below zero, the research level must be dropped.

Ship chaining exploit - you can move a ship, unload troops to another ship, move that ship, etc. This allows you to ship an indefinite distance, and that is why I consider it an exploit.

Resources disconnect / connect exploit - I consider most resource tactics fine. Delaying to hook a resource, trading it away etc is fine. The exploit is to do this every turn. Build a stack of horses, connect saltpeter, upgrade to cavalry, and disconnect.

Palace Jump - You abandon the capital city to move the palace to a new location. If you want to move the palace, build a new palace.

3rd start

Attachments

• start 03.jpg
    start 03.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 617
FYI: I see no image for 1 and 2.

On 3:
When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. And that one sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, and then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that’s what you’re going to get, Son, the strongest castle in all of England.

clearly the best choice :mischief:

That is odd, I see all three starts. Here are the other two.

I dislike swamp too, but I love uncovering it midway through a game and seeing all the BG/:cool:

Attachments

• start 01.jpg
    start 01.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 350
  • start 02.jpg
    start 02.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 315
Well, there certainly are some interesting choices, that's for sure! Start 3 seems out to me. Jokes of "This is my swamp!" aside :lol:, it'd be a grueling opening to play out. So that leaves starts one and two.

I think start one looks the best. I don't see any fresh water near the cow, so you'd have to mine it, and there's just a lot of forest around in start 2. I see a small glimmer of some resource in the fog E and NE of where your settler is in Start 1. Starting with a goody hut could also net us a good boost, and the river start is really nice. Start 2 is tempting because of the cow, but I think the other factors would make it less useful to us. What do you think?

I think one is best out of the three. We could move the settler one to the N to get him on the coast. If we plan it right we could make our second city the capitol (either build it brick by brick or with a GL) and then Berlin would be in the first ring.

I vote for start 1.

I think one is best out of the three. We could move the settler one to the N to get him on the coast. If we plan it right we could make our second city the capitol (either build it brick by brick or with a GL) and then Berlin would be in the first ring.

I vote for start 1.

I'd vote for start 1 as well, but I vote for not moving the settler.

Kibitzer:

Greebley, ever time I see your avatar, it makes me want to fire up civ2. I am still resisting that, lol.

Ok.I'll fire up start one and take a look round with the worker. If you can comment before I do it, I'm going to move to the BG to the southwest. The settler is also standing on a BG. Do we want to move simply to get off that square?

I wouldn't, but it's your turns, not mine. I think the settler is fine where it's at. If we did move it, I would vote moving it N to the coast, but I like where it is now. It's not worth wasting a turn in my opinion.

T1 4000 Move worker, uncover tabacco and wheat. Move settler one w to have wheat in first 9 tiles.

T2 3950 Berlin Founded. worker north to BG. ALPH at max research.

T3 3900 worker -> road.

T4 3850 zzzzz

T5 3800 zzzzz

T6 3750 worker -> mine. Alph in 23

T7 3700 warrior1 -> warrior2. Begin exploring. plan is to the north to uncover coast then work south.

T8 3650 zzzz

T9 3600 hut #1 = barbs

T10 3550 barb sacks Berlin.

T11 3500 Exploring uncover ivory to the east.

T12 3450 Berlin grows to 2, culture expansion, Alph in 15. being warrior3 for MP duty. warrior2 heads west. worker to wheat road -> mine.

T13 3400 zzzz

T14 3350 contact with INCA. They have MASONRY and POTTERY. Will take both our techs to get one of theirs+30g. Going to hold off for a few turns. small lake with wheat to the SE.

T15 3300 cow on a river w/hills to the west, possible FP site?

T16 3250 Berlin-> settler. warrior3 for MP. Spot INCA settler/warrior pair.

T17 3200 zzzzz

T18 3150 zzzzz

T19 3100 missed Berlin grows to size 3, settler in 5

I'm going to stop here, so you take the next 20 or so. If something exciting happens take a few more turns. We'll work it out later. You can still explore trading with the INCA. Trading is the poorest part of my playing ability. I was planning on ALPPH->WRITING->CoL->PHIL for REPUBLIC.

I'll post a map with possible city locations when I can.

Attachments

• 001 Mon SG Germans, 3100 BC.SAV
    50.4 KB · Views: 226
What about these possible city sites? I'd settle the RED first, to keep INCA from getting them.

Ball is in your court.Have fun

Attachments

• 001 Mon SG 3100 dot map.jpg
    001 Mon SG 3100 dot map.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 564
lurker's comment: Is that working mining the wheat? IIRC irrigated wheat = 4 food surplus. Growth is key for pumping out workers and settlers.

lurker's comment: Is that working mining the wheat? IIRC irrigated wheat = 4 food surplus. Growth is key for pumping out workers and settlers.

Yeah (covers his face with embarrassment and shame) For some reason I thought shields would help build things faster since I wasn't doing to do a settler factory.

LORD PLEBIAN!! Change that worker to irrigation ASAP>

as stated, that wheat needs irrigation no mine. but also it should have been worked first, before that other BG.
personally i would have walked another tile to the SW of where the cap now is. would open up that nice position 3NE for a harbour town to share the wheat with the capital whenever appropriate.
with a granary the cap can easily become a 6-turn combo (warrior+settler) factory.
t_x

Top Bottom