2019 NFL Offseason thread

Denver's QB selection since Elway has been pretty kookydukes :crazyeye:... It's almost like Elway doesn't want anyone usurping his legacy.:lol:

I think it's more he wants another version of himself, so he falls for QBs who are his size and seem to have an arm the way Al Davis fell for anyone with a glittering 40 yard dash time.

Holy crap batman at that Carson Wentz extension. They'd better hope he doesn't keep getting hurt.

I think it's notable that they went from having a legit starting QB on a rookie deal (best bargain in football) and having the best backup in the NFL to losing that backup and paying your starter big-time money all at once. That's rough.

It's a huge injury risk, but the Eagles are between a rock and a hard place because of the way QB salaries
are escalating.

Goff and Prescott must be thrilled about this though.

That's 4 consecutive 49ers video posts by you, which immediately followed 4 consecutive 49ers related links posted by you. You've pretty much posted no videos or links related to anything besides the 49ers since April, not to mention that the vast majority of your posts in general are about the 49ers... go back and look for yourself. Are you converting to a 49ers fan or what? What is going on with this 49ers obsession? I'm genuinely interested because you really do seem super-preoccupied with the 49ers. Are you 9ersnation now? Welcome :).

That's a good question. But I'm not a 49ers fan at all. Why I'm hyped up on them is for purely analytical reasons. I mean, I'm going to stack my fantasy with 49ers. And bet on them in our NFL pick'em contest.

Literally, the only reason I would want them to win is so I can look smart.

They still need to improve their secondary (although they already massively did to some extent with the cornerback they acquired from the Chargers as long as he can healthy) and add some depth the defensive line.

Bosa, Ford, Thomas (when played on the interior part of the line, which they finally got right), Buckner) are amazing starters but you need more to have a deep rotation. Not to mention if one them gets injured (inevitable).

About the same situation, the Rams had last year at the cornerback position with Aqib Talib.

The roster isn't perfect, but they haven't been this good since their 2013 season. This probably isn't a Super Bowl team, but a playoff team. The first time they'll have a winning season (as long as Jimmy G stays healthy) since 2013.

Last edited:
But yes I did check back and can confirm you were right.
Spoiler :
IIRC I read somewhere AB has expressed interest in playing for the 49ers.

Garropolo seems like a decent, capable franchise QB but I doubt he’s as good as Big Ben. Nor does Garropolo have as good of an o-line to protect him.

Although:

1) He will get to be with Garropolo during his theoretical peak QB age rather than someone possibly on the decline and

2) On paper the Steelers are getting worse (even without Antonio Brown leaving) and

3) on paper the 49ers are getting better (even without Antonio Brown joining).

I expect NFC West to be a tough division for the forseable future but I have the same opinion of AFC north.

Seahawks and Rams speak for themselves, and the Cards and 49ers I expect to both take big steps forward.

Then again Ravens are already solid and looking to only get better, ditto for the Browns, and it’s hard to know with the Bengals.

If he wants another a ring there are better destinations than San Francisco but perhaps he’s just looking to get paid.

I meant the 49ers are playoff bound THIS SEASON. Not in the future after Wilson and Goff are given monster contracts.

If the 49ers get this best talent available (which is going to be a defensive line player with their pick) and continue to do so throughout the draft, they are simply going to be too good.

Their offense (with Garropolo) is guaranteed to at least be decent, and with a monster defensive line that is a thoroughly solid team.

You are leaving out what the 49ers did in free agency.

I expect the 49ers offense to be above average as long as a (healthy) Garropolo is on the field.

Based on a head coach whose specialty is offense and therefore is more efficient with it. Based on a team with an above average offensive line. Based on a team with a QB who is at least average, if not better.

The average NFL starting quarterback has more than ten starts.

It is a small sample size, but I'm banking on him being better than average (or at the very least, average).

I guess this is where we just disagree. Time will tell which one of us was right.

It really won't. I've not said anything about Gorappolo that is going to be proved or disproved. What I've said is that right now he has ten starts, two of which he didn't finish, so there's really no way to assess whether he is average, good, great...or completely out of his depth. At the end of this season, if he has 26 starts we might be in a position to evaluate his merits. Our disagreement is that I'm not willing to say things like "as long as Jimmy G is in there SF's offense will be great," because unless the guy is an absolute rock solid superstar SF's offense is going to be an adequate at best group of personnel undergoing adaptation pains, and nothing to turn the franchise around overnight. Saying right now that he is that kind of star is pure speculation. It may turn out that he is, but that doesn't make saying it now anything more than a shot in the dark.

Just like I can say "Nick Foles is gonna be the biggest deal to hit J'ville since...well, ever." It may turn out that a year from now that is totally what happened...but that won't change that saying it right now is pure speculation shot in the darkism.

I think the 49ers offense will take a big step forward. Although, even more so on the other side of the ball. I see them as really solid, perhaps even NFC West division champs.

Apparently nick bosa is a Trump supporter and has even insulted Colin Kaepernick for taking a knee.

God I really hope San Francisco gets this guy. They deserve him in more ways than one. ;)

https://nypost.com/2019/04/10/nick-bosa-is-hiding-donald-trump-support-ahead-of-nfl-draft/amp/

If the 49ers are solid this season to the extent I think they will be, he will have the last laugh. We won't know what happens until the season starts of course.

Which is why they got another Italian American to be the franchise QB.

Even if they are solid this season, which seems unlikely to begin with, Garoppolo's contract is a long term drag that will be working against them for years. No team with a thirty million dollar quarterback commitment can really improve their roster year over year. Leakage due to net free agency losses is too high to be made up in the draft.

Contracts get "cheaper" as time goes on because they keep raising the salary cap each year. His contract is already not close to 'most expensive quarterback' as it was just last year. In the following year, even less so. And so on and so forth.

The 49ers currently have $67,493,622 in cap space which is the seventh most in the league.

If Garropolo is by far the best QB on the roster and a legit, solid starter quarterback then that is easily money well spent.

While 67 million seems like a lot of space, about 30 million of that comes from free agents departing, or at least currently unsigned. Believing that they can replace those guys for less than the thirty million they spent on them last season and improving the roster at the same time is magical thinking. So, their cap space gets smaller or their roster gets weaker. Sure, lifting the cap by eleven million helps, and the fact that they have a twenty million dollar quarterback instead of the new normal of thirty million helps them too, so it isn't a disaster. But the fact remains that they are paying 20 million a year to quarterback who is comparable to guys that cost a tenth of that.

I don't think he's comparable to guys who cost a tenth of that.

I am 27 too and I think my best is yet to come. :mad:

Are you in a career field where the normal retirement age is thirty, and where a guy claiming he plans to work until his mid-forties is either laughed off as a nut or viewed with sympathy since he is obviously already way past his prime and declining fast?

1) I don't think the average retirement age is 30.

2) Your second example is someone who literally just won a Super Bowl and has been there literally 3 times in a row the last 3 years. Laugh at him all you want, but it is not going to hurt him.

I'm more in the "sympathy" crowd than the laughing at him crowd.

Meanwhile:

"According to the NFL Players Association the average career length is about 3.3 years. The NFL claims that the average career is about 6 years (for players who make a club's opening day roster in their rookie season)." per Statista. So either about 25 or about 28, depending on whether you go with the NFL or the NFLPA estimate. In other words, 30 was generous.

Yes but he's a franchise starting quarterback. Quarterbacks, in general, tend to have the longest careers and if they starter experience even more so for obvious reasons.

Also: You also hate the Pats (and Brady) even more than I do so it's pretty difficult to believe you are sympathetic to him.

Finally: If he can stay healthy the entire season (which I bet he will) and step up his game (which I bet he will) then the 49ers will be a thoroughly solid team and the contract they gave him will be 100% justified.

That said, the only way to find it out is to wait and see what actually happens.

According to Statista the average career of a quarterback is 4.4 years. That means, on average, by 27 they are done.

I don't doubt that you would bet as you say, but I have to ask why. "Stay healthy the entire season" means sixteen games. In his career to date he has started twelve and been knocked out of four of them...his record says that every third start you should expect a game ending injury. Has getting older made him more durable? Is there some other reason to expect that established pace to change? I don't know if Vegas books odds on morbid things like injuries, but based on observed realities the odds against "full season healthy" for him would have to be gigantic. If you really believe it and can find a book that will take the bet you probably should make it.

If you see it come up anywhere, let me know (I'm dead serious here)

"Oh please" :rolleyes: *closes window*

-- my reaction after clicking the link and reading the headline

I seriously couldn't read a single word of that article, because the headline was so full of BS that it burned my eyes and made we want to vomit...

For reals cake... I can't figure out why you seem to be so all-in on gassing up the 49ers expectations and simultaneously downplaying the Seahawks expectations so hard... other than managing your own expectations as a fan. Is that all this is?

I got almost every single Seahawk prediction correct in last year's pick'em contest. I know my team reasonably well. And my division rivals to a lesser extent, but still reasonably well.

The 49ers will be legit contenders to win NFC West.

Again... I sure hope so... but I recognize that my hope is just that... nothing but unsubstantiated Homerism.

EDIT: @Timsup2nothin - I have to agree with ctd about Brady though... It's time to face the clearly demonstrable fact that Giselle Bundchen is a secret Santeria priestess with full on Voudo powers and that she brokered some Faustian bargain with a spirit to imbue Brady with supernatural longevity...

It is known.

Not quite as optimistic about the 49ers as I am but still a good sign.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ni...seahawks-could-trade-frank-clark-on-draft-day

This is for @Sommerswerd (or any other 49er fan)

You have to click the link to watch it on Youtube, you can't watch it on CFC sadly.

I"m not alone in thinking the 2019 49ers will be good.

Interesting list.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-surprise-playoff-contenders-for-the-2019-nfl-season

I agree that the Jets now have the talent to be a playoff contender but I don’t think Allen Gase is a good coach. I’m not sold on the Bengals simply because I anticipate AFC North both being a very difficult division where nothing is a given.

But I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the 49ers and Bucs sneak into the playoffs.

You're really preoccupied with the 49ers... I'm starting to think you're secretly a closet 49ers fan :p

Or is all this extra expectation gassing on the 49ers (and bar lowering for the Seahawks) just your way of hedging expectations for the Seahawks performance in the division? :think:

I'm honestly not even sure what you mean... I'm just making predictions. There isn't a motivation behind them other than I think they'll come true.

OK. Do you have any predictions about the Eagles this year? What about the Cowboys? The Saints? Broncos? Giants? Raiders? Browns? Anyone besides the 49ers. Lets take a break from 49ers predictions, videos and articles for a bit.

That's a good question. But I'm not a 49ers fan at all. Why I'm hyped up on them is for purely analytical reasons. I mean, I'm going to stack my fantasy with 49ers. And bet on them in our NFL pick'em contest.

Literally, the only reason I would want them to win is so I can look smart.

They still need to improve their secondary (although they already massively did to some extent with the cornerback they acquired from the Chargers as long as he can healthy) and add some depth the defensive line.

Bosa, Ford, Thomas (when played on the interior part of the line, which they finally got right), Buckner) are amazing starters but you need more to have a deep rotation. Not to mention if one them gets injured (inevitable).

About the same situation, the Rams had last year at the cornerback position with Aqib Talib.

The roster isn't perfect, but they haven't been this good since their 2013 season. This probably isn't a Super Bowl team, but a playoff team. The first time they'll have a winning season (as long as Jimmy G stays healthy) since 2013.

But yes I did check back and can confirm you were right.
Spoiler :

OK so now that you've admitted that you're a temporary resident on the 49ers bandwagon and homering for them hard this season... By the powers vested in me as a true lifelong 49ers fan... I hereby dub you an honorary member of 49ers nation for the 2019 season, and all the accompanying playoffs and so on. Welcome to the red and gold:D. In this context, I am very happy to hear all the nice things you have to say about the 49ers and any favorable predictions you have to offer.:yup:

Now tell me more about how awesome our team is and all the ways that they will be playoff contenders this year. Please don't spare any detail. I want to hear every theory on how we can make the playoffs, no matter how much of a stretch it might seem..let's hear it all. Scratch behind the ears and under the belly if you please... gimme, gimme, gimme :yumyum:... And videos, VIDEOS!!! Please post me some more videos. I am going to go back and watch everything you've posted and I look forward to more. Let's paint the thread Red baby!:goodjob:

I apologize. By “can confirm” I didn’t mean I was confirming to be a 49ers fan. I was only confirming that I admitted to talking about them a lot.

The Rams will get worse, only question is how much. I’m sure their offense will be a lot worse because of what happened to their o-line and the pieces they lost this offseason. The Rams will still be strong, but no longer borderline unbeatable. Thus leaving NFC West wide open.

The Cards will be better but they have way too many holes on their roster and they would be pretty lucky just to get to .500

The Seahawks will be about the same. Looks like another 10-6 season. We lost Frank Clark and Doug Baldwin but we gained a lot in the draft + free agency.

Not the least of which is singing a pro bowl kicker who isn’t way too old to even be playing.

The 49ers offense, while Jimmy G is healthy will be firing on all cylinders. While he is healthy they the best offense in the division. Their defense is stacked and loaded.

Their front 4 doesn’t have as much depth as it could be still above league average. They acquired Kwon Alexander for a linebacker (very good starter which is why TB couldn’t afford to keep him in the first place), and a backfield featuring two pro bowl corners. They are gonna be lit. If Jimmy G stays healthy then this is a team with double digit wins for the regular season. Only question is how many. And Tevin Coleman finally gives them a good running game.

The Cards have an awful offensive line that the 49ers d-line (when healthy) will absolutely abuse. The Rams has a good o-line last year, but not this year. We all know Jared Goff is awful when pressured. RW can avoid sacks but he’s the exception, not the norm.

Last edited:
Looks like the trap has been well and truly set, and Sommer is walking right in to it. I predict he'll be posting all the Russell Wilson videos he can find by mid September. :mwaha:

And if Luck shows any signs of impatience with his calf injury, he'll be strapped into a chair, his eyelids propped open, and forced to watch Durant go down on endless loop.

Looks like the trap has been well and truly set, and Sommer is walking right in to it. I predict he'll be posting all the Russell Wilson videos he can find by mid September. :mwaha:
49ers nation is a nation of love and acceptance baby! All are welcome. My goal is for all of you to be 49ers fans by the end of the season ;)

Last edited:
The 49ers now have one of the best punters in the NFL. Enjoy him!

https://www.49ers.com/news/kyle-whittingham-49ers-p-mitch-wishnowsky-is-a-huge-weapon-for-a-defense

The 49ers learned from the Seahawks that an Australian Punter is worth it. He was taken in the fourth round for a reason. (I am not joking). We took Michael Dickson only one round later and after it became apparent how much of a difference a great punter can make, it was inevitable that someone else would be aggressive to snatch the next great punter from the land downunder.

The 49ers We now have one of the best punters in the NFL. Enjoy him Yesss!

https://www.49ers.com/news/kyle-whittingham-49ers-p-mitch-wishnowsky-is-a-huge-weapon-for-a-defense

The 49ers We learned from the Seahawks that an Australian Punter is worth it. He was taken in the fourth round for a reason. (I am not joking). We The Seahawks took Michael Dickson only one round later and after it became apparent how much of a difference a great punter can make, it was inevitable that someone else would be aggressive to snatch the next great punter from the land downunder.
FTFY. You're 49ers nation now remember? ;)

The 49ers are my second team for this season. You didn't "fix it" for me.

Don't get carried away now. :nono:

Top Bottom