30 Day Song Challenge

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Ozbenno, Aug 26, 2011.

1. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Day 3 - A Song That Makes You Happy

Link to video.

Yeasayer - O.N.E.

It's just so much fun to listen to, always lifts my mood at least a little bit.

2. Orange Seeds

Orange Seeds playing with cymbals

3. de Maistre

de Maistre Comte

Day 04, Song that makes you sad
    String Quartet No. 14 by Ludwig van Beethoven
    I doubt if any composition surpasses the fourteenth's melancholy, particularly the first movement. There's something so intimate and poignant about string quartets.

4. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

I know next to nothing about classical music though I do enjoy it . I thought this was beautiful

5. LightSpectra

LightSpectra me autem minui

Day 04, a song that makes you sad

Sleep - Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Link to video.

This song is an ode to melancholy. "They don't sleep anymore on the beach." Post-rock in general makes me feel alone, staring into oblivion.

6. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

Day 4: A song that makes you sad.

Sigur Rós: Ný Batterí

The delivery would make it sad enough, but the lyrics are extremely saddening.

Link to video.

7. Catharsis

Catharsis catch u on the flip scythe

I'm having trouble with #3 and #4 to be honest. 'Happy' and 'sad' are too strong emotions to be elicited by a song.

Taking a stab at it:

03: Song that makes you happy

Walking on Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves. Basically I wouldn't listen to this song voluntarily under most circumstances, seeing as how it's a little annoying, but it is the most upbeat song in the world so if you were feeling blue I can see how this song might be helpful.

Incidentally, I heard once a version of this performed by some tragic Disney-type singer who was trying her darnedest to make 'Walking on Sunshine' sound sexy (I'm waaaaalkin' on sunshhhhhine, *orgasmic moan*). Maybe I'm misremembering that though (I hope I am).

04: Song that makes you sad

Hide and Seek - Imogen Heap. I think this song is supposed to be about the breakup of a family from the point of view of a child, is that right? If so, it's a lot better than Dilemma (which covers the same topic from a different POV). The lyrics are pretty sad, although I guess it suffers a bit from being 'the song from Speak For Yourself that people have heard'. Also the Jason DeRulo thing.

8. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

03: Song that makes you happy

The Smiths - There is A Light That Never Goes out

Link to video.

9. North King

North King blech

I like how I now feel this thing is an obligation. I don't like how I had to listen to like fifty sad things to decide which one to put up here. :p

Day 04, A Song That Makes You Sad

A lot of possibilities here, but we'll go with this one:

Link to video.

Not inherently sad in any one way, but the piece just has a certain quality to it that makes me immediately melancholy from the first couple of seconds to the end.

10. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Day 04, A Song That Makes You Sad

Can't Stand Losing You - The Police

I had a lot more material for this than for the song that makes me happy, but choosing what I wanted to use now and what I wanted to use later was arguably harder! :lol:

Eventually, I settled on "Can't Stand Losing You". Reasons are pretty obvious: guy goes into spiraling depression because he's being dumped and eventually decides to commit suicide. That's...pretty sad. (Hell, the original cover for the single - pictured below - actually showed Stewart Copeland standing on a block of ice with a noose around his neck, waiting for the ice to melt. Eventually they switched it out, after the BBC banned it.) That repetitiveness that the Police usually inserted into their songs works well here, as kind of an echo as everything fades to black (both in the song and for the singer).

Link to video.

11. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Day 4 - Song That Makes You Sad

I don't really have any music that actually makes me sad, so I decided to go with one of my favourite songs that's sort of depressing.

The Butterfly Effect - Reach

Link to video.

12. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Day 4 - A Song That Makes You Sad

Godspeed You! Black Emporer - The Dead Flag Blues

Link to video.

The spoken word section at the beginning of the song, deals with the collapse of society, the music that follows is very melancholic and slow and really suits the atmosphere that the words were creating, I can't help but feel sad listening to it :sad:

Spoiler :
    It went like this

The buildings tumbled in on themselves
    Mothers clutching babies picked through the rubble and pulled out their hair

The skyline was beautiful on fire
    All twisted metal stretching upwards
    Everything washed in a thin orange haze

I said, "Kiss me, you're beautiful..
    These are truly the last days"

You grabbed my hand and we fell into it
    Like a daydream or a fever

13. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Day 4 - One could throw a dart at a list of Harry Chapin songs, so I chose my favorite:

Link to video.

14. Orange Seeds

Orange Seeds playing with cymbals

A song that reminds me of someone.

Link to video.

This is a song that very nostalgically reminds of my best friend in early childhood. "Bodymovin" and "Girls" invoke similar nostalgia. Haven't seen that fellow in years. Last I heard he was a still illiterate meth addict. True story.

15. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

Day 4 - Song That Makes You Sad

Black Sabbath - Solitude

Link to video.

16. LightSpectra

LightSpectra me autem minui

Day 05, a song that reminds you of someone

Over the Hills and Far Away - Led Zeppelin

Link to video.

Not a big rock fan, but I used to sing this song every day with my two best friends.

17. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Day 2 - Worst Song

LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem

Link to video.

I find it very hard to pick superlatives. There are tons of songs and music I don't like, but I have a very hard time picking a worst or least favorite. For me worst song was a toss up between this song and Katy Perry's Last Friday Night. Over the last few months I've been driving a car to work where the only option for listening to music is the radio, and so I've been listening to a lot of pop and hip hop. Surprisingly enough I actually like most of it. This song, though, I cannot stand. It's repetitive, the lyrics are inane, and the few good parts of the song (the drop and scratch lick is actually very cool) are overplayed until they cease to be interesting. What's worse is the song goes on FOREVER so you can't just change presets for a few seconds and switch back. The worst thing for me is that this song is a #1 which means you end up hearing it at least 10 or 12 times a day, and that, for me, is what really makes this a worst.

18. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Day 05, Song That Reminds You of Someone

Calling All Angels - Train

Reminds me of a girl I dated in high school. She, um, liked this song a lot. It's kinda personal.

This is probably the shortest blurb I'll put up here for one of these things, haha

Link to video.

19. de Maistre

de Maistre Comte

20. North King

North King blech

Day 05, A Song Which Reminds You of Someone

Somewhat difficult one for me, usually I don't associate songs with people. At all, really.

This one's an exception -- I'd never heard it outside of when my parents sang it around me. Usually when I'd leave to chill with friends. :p

Years later I realized it was an actual song.

All By Myself, Eric Carmen

Link to video.