1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

3rd and 4th Unique Components for VP - Official thread

Discussion in 'Mods Repository' started by pineappledan, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Bad_At_Diplomacy

Bad_At_Diplomacy Chieftain

My mistake--I simply first noticed this when I started playing 3rd and 4th UC and (incorrectly) assumed.

2. FoxOfWar

FoxOfWar Prince

Playing as England, and something is wonky with the Steam Mill. It does not seem to add in the bonus from other Steam Mills. Should it, or is the text just lacking update?

Edit: Looked about a few more cities as I'm building Steam Mills, and it looks like it's not getting the 50% of population boost either, leaving it very lackluster.

3. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

4. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

It's a double-edged sword when Zebo posts new versions because I usually have to start my first game without 3/4UC due to the mod usually needing an update. After playing with 3/4UC extensively, I now yearn for so much more when playing with only 2 uniques. A testament to the great work! :thumbsup:

5. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

More Unique Components for Vox Populi changelog:
    Code:
    v57:
    - tweaked/modified:
        - Defensive building tweaks
        - unit CS tweaks
        - Pogost now gives Resource boosts (moved from Grocer for this patch)
        - Harbour replacements now give +2 flat supply

Bug Fixes
        - Monolithic Church fixed (wasn't receiving ideology bonus)
        - Iron Chariot Art file fix
        - Steam mill syntax fix (should now do everything it is supposed to)

Legen, phantomaxl1207, Hinin and 3 others like this.
  6. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper Prince

YAAY, no more machine gun capitals in medieval era!

7. FoxOfWar

FoxOfWar Prince

Woop :)

Gonna start a new game right away.

8. Legen

Legen King

Something is wrong with the Tophet in this recent version, it didn't give culture and experience when I purchased a warrior. Anyone else experienced something similar?

9. Patee

Patee Chieftain

Is this compatibile with 2-9?

10. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

Tophet working fine for me.

Yes.

11. kenneth1221

kenneth1221 Warlord

Wondering if anyone has insights on how best to play the Celts. Should I only turn merchants into Oppidum, or is there an argument for turning scientists/engineers into Oppidum as well?

Also, was the Druidic Lore UA changed to not include the GMP or do I have a compat bug?

12. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

13. kenneth1221

kenneth1221 Warlord

No, no, just got confused by the original post.

14. Gizmoman

Gizmoman Chieftain

After giving this a spin a few times I figured I'd report something that feels wildly underwhelming.

Both of the Inca extra components just feels so incredibly bland. Yes sure, an extra luxury is pretty neat for trading but you don't get a strong workable tile like most other resource spawning buildings provide and on top of that it removes the ability for the Inca to settle on top of resources. The bonus from the resource itself feels in best case scenarios as a waste of promotion graphics, and in worst case detrimental, as it can be stolen and remove your unique mountain advantage. On top of all this the building itself also provides no extra yields over the regular granary, something that is rare in unique buildings. Pretty much the one thing it has going for it is that it's a granary, which means people want to build them anyways.

As for the scout replacement, I'm confounded as to whether I'm missing something about it. it has a +1 CS and a -1 sight range compared to a regular scout (which is not exactly the most amazing unit in the game), it moves faster in your own territory (why would you be scouting your own territory?). It moves faster in mountains, which to be fair isn't awful but mountain coverage on a map is rarely large enough for this to be very meaningful, especially since all incan units already have full movement in mountains. Worst of all, is that the unit is a scout replacement for the Inca civilization, a civ that already possesses possibly the strongest scouting UA in the game. I can't remember if I've ever lost a pathfinder as the Inca, but I definitely did not do it any of these games, and I pretty much had the entire continent mapped out before the scout replacement became available.
    You could have the unit be available right from the start of the game, and besides the CS imbalance it would create it would still not feel like a good unit.

Other than this Inca experience, most of my experiences with this mod have been positive. So keep up the good work Mr Pineapple.

KaoticKanine and Kim Dong Un like this.
  15. FoxOfWar

FoxOfWar Prince

I did play an Inca game recently, and I must agree here... the additions - Chasqui in particular - feel flavorful, but also rather non-impactful. Not... bad, but aside from Coca trading and workers being quicker, I find myself a bit wanting for something with a more lasting effect.

Granted, hard civ to balance because so very terrain dependant UA and UI. Spawn in a mountain range, nab the related pantheon, and you barely miss any extra UC's anyway.

16. Dimmy

Dimmy Chieftain

Playing with Inca rn, turn 250, nothing to complain on Immortal. I am first in score but 3rd in science and in the middle pack for culture. Happiness is a bit of a workout but I manage to keep it above ~60%.
    Started with copper, then conquered Korea for Olives and Egypt for Lapis. Now going after Greece (Pericles) while being friends since the beginning...
    Anyway I have no complain around Incas, but that's only one game.

17. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

The coca puts 2:c5production: on the tile, but I will move that onto the building itself so people are more conscious of it. 2:c5production:1:c5food: is actually a very serious boost for a 1st level tech.

as for the chasqui, it’s the model we have and as @FoxOfWar said they are very flavourful. They are unstoppable strong as early scouts using their potential for 20 hp heal every turn in all tiles

18. Gizmoman

Gizmoman Chieftain

Again, I'm not saying Inca are weak, they definitely aren't. But you could drop both the new UCs and you wouldn't notice a difference at all.

The Chasqui might feel flavourful, I don't know enough about Inca history or culture to make any comment on flavour, but as a unit it feels extremely underwhelming. Not only does it fill a role that you normally don't need filling at all; In my eyes, the point of a scout is to make up for a failure to keep your pathfinders alive, and inca pathfinders are pretty much immortal with their mountain and hill walking. But they are also on the opposite side of the tech-tree from your terrace farms(as well as on a tech that you really only need if you settle heavily coastal), so you'll have to decide if you want to pursue either the Chasqui or the Terrace farm, and I don't see a world where anyone would go for the Chasqui.

For the Qullqa, I'll have to admit that I was not exactly aware of the +2 hammers the coco puts on the tile. Maybe that does change things, although I am still not quite a fan of how unimpressive the resource itself and its monopoly bonus feels.

19. Legen

Legen King

Tophet still not working, seems that I've ran into the same issue that Minh Le stumbled upon on feb 17 2019.

Enabling events, which was suggested to him, didn't work for me. Other things I tried were clearing the cache and reupdating both the VP and 34UC (in case of a bad install, both to the latest versions). I'm not sure what causes it.

20. nmb93

nmb93 Chieftain

The 2-18 beta had me quaking in my boots and I just saw 2-9 compatibility for this. Wish me luck on my first mod mod game as Rome boys!