9th Civ: It's Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cía;11440474 said:
I started hoping for Sweden when I heard that Stockholm wasnt going to be a city-state anymore and that the Denmark-DLC had no swedish city-names. But when Austria was announced I thought (as everybody else) that there wouldnt be another european state and my nationalistic hope faded away. And now. Sweden as a civ. For real. It is the best thing ever!

PS. In sports and civ its ok to be nationalistic...

No. Its always okay to be nationalistic, just not with dismissive arrogance. Especially with Sweden. :king:

The rule tends to be this: If the name is usually referred to in its English form, it will be for the game. This means major cities and capitals will almost certainly be in English. Older cities that had English merchants go there will also likely fall in this list. Other cities won't fall into this category.

There's no real easy way to differentiate why some cities got this way. However, it will almost certainly be Gothenburg and Helsinki (especially Helsinki).

The rule tends to be this: If the name is usually referred to in its English form, it will be for the game. This means major cities and capitals will almost certainly be in English. Older cities that had English merchants go there will also likely fall in this list. Other cities won't fall into this category.

There's no real easy way to differentiate why some cities got this way. However, it will almost certainly be Gothenburg and Helsinki (especially Helsinki).

Timbuktu was Timboctou though.

This is objectively the best Civ news of all time. :mischief:

Full disclosure: I am a Swede, my name is Gustav (Gustavus) and I have visited Gustavus Adolphus' memorial at Lützen.

Edit: Vad fan, jag läste igenom hela tråden och ser två Boråsbor. Jag är också Boråsare :shifty:
Moderator Action: Next time please provide a translation. This is an English speaking forum, and everybody should be able to understand what you post.

This is unexpected! Even though a lot of people were suggesting that the ninth civ was gonna be Sweden, I was sure it was gonna be Zulu... Oh well, Sweden would be a good addition to the series!

I'm really intrigued by the UA. and I don't have any opposition to seeing Sweden in, but would've hoped it wouldn't be another European, nonthless, I'm happy about this, and quite frankly Reinassance Scenario sounds absolutely amazing.

I'm really intrigued by the UA. and I don't have any opposition to seeing Sweden in, but would've hoped it wouldn't be another European, nonthless, I'm happy about this, and quite frankly Reinassance Scenario sounds absolutely amazing.

I am looking forward to the scenario. I wonder what the details will be on it. I also hope we will be able to finally have scenarios playable in multiplayer in Civ 5.

=====

By the way nice signature TheKingOfBigOz :D

It fits.

Sweden played a very important role in the Thirty-Years-War (several catholic-protestant wars in the region of the holy roman empire), and this came not unexpected for me considering the religious shade of the expansion.

It fits.

Sweden played a very important role in the Thirty-Years-War (several catholic-protestant wars in the region of the holy roman empire), and this came not unexpected for me considering the religious shade of the expansion.

Exactly my opinion.

Another one with two UUs. I had been expecting more UBs and UIs in this expansion.

Another one with two UUs. I had been expecting more UBs and UIs in this expansion.

Guess that would be boring.... :rolleyes:

But it is a war game and they need to appeal to masses. What there should be are some unique siege units instead of cavalry and rifleman replacements every time. But I digress.

In the next expansion I really hope they dig deeper and enhance to uniqueness to beyond two things and a UA. Make it so that everyone gets three or even four. But at least three, and they can't all be units.

I wonder how the city list would be.
Translated like the Germans or native like the Songhai?
I'd bet translated, Stockholm, Gothenburg, Helsinki, as opposed to Stockholm, Göteborg, Helsingfors.

Am I looking to deeply into this? :/

They put "Elsinore" (Helsingør) in the Danish city list. If there's an English name for a city, it will be the name they put.

I'm not surprised. The rule tends to be - 2 UU whenever practical. The only exception I can think of is Russia, where a T-34 would have made a lot of sense. I think this increases the chances that the Celts will not have 2 UU. I'm not sure about Austria, they and the Byzantines are the only ones I'm going back and forth on. Maya will probably have a Unique Building. Ethiopia will either have a building or an improvement.

Here are my thoughts:
Austria - dunno
Byzantines - dunno
Celts - Pictish Warrior (UU), Dunn (UI)
Ethiopia - Mehal Sufari (UU), Stelle (UB - replaces Monument)
Maya - Atl atl (UU), Ball Court (UB - replaces Colosseum)

Every European civ bar Russia (which is only European-ish) and the Netherlands, has had 2 UUs. Hell, no DLC civ has had a Unique Building. I feel like they didn't want to add a UB unless no other civ in the game would build something similar, and pretty much every building in the Western world exists somewhere in multiple nations. Hence, wats are ok for Siam, since there's no Khmer, but the US can't have malls, since Europe and Asia have plenty of those.

I would like to see UBs added to every civ that doesn't have them in a later expansion, though. Especially if they go out of their way to give European nations buildings that are actually unique, even if it means having to use mostly modern buildings. Something like a Hydrogen Community for Denmark would have me absolutely tickled pink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom