1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

9th Civ: It's Sweden

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by D0MIN1C, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I'll probably play Celts first; it seems the obvious choice to check out the Faith/Religion mechanics.

2. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop King

3. sumodaz

sumodaz Chieftain

If you ever come to Stockholm, make sure you see the 'Vasa', it really is incredible! I'm no ship building expert but just by looking at it you can see its just too tall.

I'm very happy Sweden have been included, I would have liked Poland to be thrown in there too (maybe instead of Austria) but we can't have everything we wish for i guess.

I really can't wait for G&K's :D

4. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Sweden is in? Maybe I have to get this expansion after all. I hate it how they do this to me. One day, I hate the game like the plague, and the next, it's just as awesome as sliced bread. :(

I love to have Sweden in my game, since I want to kick their rears really bad. Hakkaa Päälle! :D

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Are you Finnish? You may want to take a look at the Swedish UU's before you get to far ahead of yourself.:cool:

6. HorribleHarald

HorribleHarald Warlord

Sweden is a good choice because the expansion pack focus on wars of religion. Perhaps even better choice could be Moors civ what I expected but Swe civ sounds nice too. Hakkaa Päälle!!!

7. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop King

I would definitely agree with that. I took a trip to Stockholm last February. The Vasa Museum is absolutely amazing! I still can't believe they were able to retrieve that ship from the water.

8. Zipa_DH

Zipa_DH Zipa of Bacata

I want mayor Quimby and king Triton for next DLCs :D

9. Zipa_DH

Zipa_DH Zipa of Bacata

popularity isn't the reason, San Martin are more popular than Bolivar, maybe the reason would be that he founded 5 of the 12 countries of South America?

10. SuperWaffle247

SuperWaffle247 Secretary General

I think for diversity's sake Colombia is more interesting than Argentina, if we assume Brazil would also be added. Buenos Aires should absolutely be a Maritime city state however.

Who do people think should lead Argentina? Peron?

11. Liex

Liex King

Perón or Rosas for leader, sure (I wrote a suggestion about Argentina here, with the Peróns sharing the leader scene). But I think that Argentina's chances to be included in this game are too remote, so Buenos Aires should be added as a Cultural CS (It's an important port, its inhabitants are even called 'porteños', but I think its cultural importance is even stronger).

12. Radu_Magus

Radu_Magus Warlord

Since they like to put so many female leaders, maybe Argentina's leader could be Evita. I think it would be cool.

13. EMT

EMT Hated by the Spaniards(?)

Why do people nominate modern-day countries for Civilization? The game is called civilization, not country or nation-state last that I checked. I don't see any thing distinguishing that would merit Argentina being its own civilization. And this goes for other modern countries like Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa. Other than an independence movement that succeeded, Latin America has nothing in its favor when compared to other civilizations in the game(not that Latin America is in and of itself a civilization anyway), and I say this as a Latin American as well.

If you want Bolivar, then nominate a Bolivarian Empire, because Gran Colombia is in no way a civilization. We have Huns, don't we?

14. Mango Elephant

Mango Elephant Deity

Several things. You say Latin America has nothing when compared to other civilizations. As a Latin American, I'm a bit offended that you can lump all our cultures together into ... nothing. Because Latin America has no civilizations as of yet, so we're very underrepresented (The Aztecs, Mayans, and Inca do not speak a Romantic language and so they aren't Latin American). If I may be so forward, our lack of inclusion gives us an edge over almost every other region in the world because of we can diversify a game that's already so Euro-centric.

Secondly, how would you define civilization? I shall tear asunder your arguments after you have answered this crucial question.

15. Liex

Liex King

I have to endorse Mango Elephant's question. What is Civilization to you? Is Sweden "its own civilization"? What about the United States (and most of the currently featured civs)? Does the game have to stick to the concept of 'civilization' you have in your mind?

16. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Moderator Action: The current discussion is barely related to the topic of the thread. Please do not continue the discussion on which civs you think 'deserve' to be in the game.

17. Zipa_DH

Zipa_DH Zipa of Bacata

Gran Colombia was a republic, not an empire, so, that not be called empire, New Zeland is part of Polynesian lands, so, they're represented in game. Gran Colombia or Imperio do Brasil aren't modern-day nations, because they changed through history, it's like say that Germany must not be in game because is a modern-day nation, Latin America cannot be taken like european or native american civlizations because they aren't the same thing, latin americans are mestizos, not indians or white men, they are a different group, with unique culture, history and traditions, even the languages are different, latin american spanish is different to european spanish, so, Gran Colombia isn't Muisca confederation, or Virreinato de la Nueva Granada, is a civilization, non european, and non native american

18. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

Honestly Latin America is pretty boring... What "unique" things do they have? Like Brazil. UA: Amazon Forest - chop trees give you more production?

19. GenjiKhan

GenjiKhan Emperor

If you choose UA,UU and UB based on stereotypes,you'll make very bad choices . This kind of UA is similar of giving a penalty of -1 :c5moves: for USA units or giving double :c5science: per population for Japan/Korea/China . Brazil can be a pretty unique civilization,with a nice UA,UU and UB if it's chosen based on their history,rather on their stereotypes .

20. Mango Elephant

Mango Elephant Deity

I agree with the UA. It's about as stupid as having Sweden's UA be Nobel Prize. Actually, it's less stupid, a lot less stupid. And in all honesty, I could see something like that for Brazil, a nation that was literally named after a tree.

And it might be your opinion we're boring, but I think the majority would agree with me, a civilization (in real life, not in the game) based around salsa dancing, margaritas, drug wars, powerful mountains, corruption, and the like is a lot more interesting than Sweden or many civs in the game could ever be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.