A good codec pack?

FredLC

A Lawyer as You Can See!
Retired Moderator
Hello there.

My days of computer geek are over for a long time now - I still know my way around user challenges, but now I'm no longer knowledgeable of reommendable software.

I'd like to kow if anybody knows a good, solid and trustworthy Codec pack that I can install in my new notebook. The ones I found on the web looked a little virus-suspicious to me...

Regards:).

I get a lot of my Windows downloads over at FileHippo (trustworthy stuff, IMO), and they have a list of multimedia stuff you can check out.

I just download VLC and call it day.

I recommend K-Lite Codec Pack. Different versions; most people make use of the Standard but I use Mega myself. No compatibility issues that I've seen.

VLC is free, nice, and easy to use but not the best of all options.

Another vote for CCCP if you want a codec pack, but VLC is always a good choice if you just want a standalone player that has an uncanny ability to play just about anything without codecs.

For windows, I'll second that. Wouldn't trust any of those codec packs. Plus, VLC does allow even some (limited) video conversion and editing.

CCCP is basically the codec pack for Windows. It's endorsed by the Mastroka project, the creators of the .mkv format.

VLC is really not a good program, if you want a program uses internal files rather than codecs, MPlayer is much better than VLC.

Media Players

I don't see what's wrong with VLC. It works and I'm happy with it just working on everything I've ever thrown at it. I've never had any problems with VLC, and MPlayer looks too much like a linux port for me to bother with it.

CCCP is basically the codec pack for Windows. It's endorsed by the Mastroka project, the creators of the .mkv format.

VLC is really not a good program, if you want a program uses internal files rather than codecs, MPlayer is much better than VLC.

Media Players

Thanks, I may try that. I guess I'm not very up-to-date with windows software.

Top Bottom