A New Forum "Current Affairs"?

Shld there be a new forum for politics and serious issues?

• Yes

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • No

Votes: 39 40.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@XIII: I don't think this poll is helping you in some way....it's almost 50 - 50

No, because posters like myself would simply vanish into the trashbin of the politics forum.:hmm:

Originally posted by Sean Lindstrom
No, because posters like myself would simply vanish into the trashbin of the politics forum.:hmm:

and posters like myself would never venture out of the spam fest that would be the new OT.

Originally posted by XIII
The class of posters I'm concerned about are those who left 'cause they can't stand certain posters and their politics; not those who left 'cause of the moderation. ;)
So you think that by seperating the forums this is going to change that? People who view the political threads are doing so by choice. If they don't like someone else's opinion and leave because of that then frankly they are weak minded for not sticking around to disagree. Seperating the forums isn't going to solve that problem anyhow. People who want to read politics will still read them, and they can still get angered or annoyed by people's opinions and their politics.

CFC is a game site - do we want politics to take central role in its OT? I prefer a funner, more harmonious, less argumentative role for the OT of the CFC forums. That's my vision and aim.
Yes CFC is a game site - that's why there is OT, to talk about things other than games because every other forum is games. Your point is lost with me. OT is fun as it currently is. Seperating them into multiple forums will only make OT boring because we will segregate the posters. If you want a "funner, more harmonious, less argumentative role" you should check out the humor forum :p

I know that separating them out may not help the situation at all - but there're other sites out there, and unless something's done, in the long run, CFC is going to see an exodus of even more of the better posters. :(
I don't see what you're getting at here. Cgannon said it best: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Not the same situation for the politics threads. ;) In 'hot' periods, these are the ones burying all the other fun stuff in OT. :rolleyes:
Most of the fun stuff you are referring to is spam anyhow. If we take out political threads, the moderators are going to have to continuously move threads out of OT and into the political forum. And furthermore, all that will be left of the OT are one or two excellent discussions mixed with a boatload of spam.

The thing is, OT and politics coincide together. Let's talk about abortion for a moment. Abortion is a topic that includes religions, politics, and personal opinions. It's a mixture, it's not just one or the other. The same can go for capital punishment and other topics that come up. There's going to be a lot of threads that fit into more than one forum and then there will be confusion as to where it goes. I really don't agree with seperating these forums.

I don't think it's needed - the rate of posts in OT isn't such that makes it hard for me to keep track of the threads I'm interested in or to find threads interesting me. Just look what seperation did to the sports forum.... Also, current events is something that interests most people. It's rare to have long debates like the one we had about Korea, and I can't think of a case when there were more than two such threads in the first page of OT, so I don't think it's really bothering people so much.

I vote yes; I have a short attention span.

Yes.

Net.

We could give this idea a try. If it doesn't work very well, we can always disband it. :)

Certainly you have to rename OT "Community" like at Apolyton if all the serious stuff is going in a seperate forum.

Look, the votes are very close, and I am pretty sure that some of the elderly and minority people were confused by the confusing ballot... why not recount and try again with this poll- I'm sure people want the forums to stay as they are! ;)

Yes, SB, it's quite obvious that the 'Undecided's really meant that they didn't want the forum. ... ;)

You live in FL, don't ya? :lol:

What if we had a subforum in OT, for game threads and quizes, that would allow a lot more room in OT for serius and semi-serius discussions

Are our votes weighed by post-count? I demand disproportionate representation!

I'm against this idea. The various threads ensure the greatest diversity/traffic in each variety, and I fear a political forum turning into the fox running the hen house.

Now, a spam thread forum on the other hand might not be such a bad idea.

Still, is the OT getting crowded or why the interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom