A Tryst with Destiny

The last two images are messed up. But good job! :D

Side note : In my playtesting as india, my game just crashed at around 964 AD. I'll try and replay it tonight or tomorrow, but a few things encouraged me. In that year Iran had fallen owing to Greek invasions, and then Greece fell because of the Roman invasions. Laving Iran open for conquest for me, as Persepolis went barbarian. I had settled the city of Herat claiming all lands of Afghanistan for myself. despite controlling the Iranian core my stability was solid. I just kept training elephants and catapults. I conquered all the regions of india and Iran by 600 ad. taking out the Cholas when they declared war against me. What I found a bother though are two things, India's lands are frustratingly low in production and my tech rate, though good was nowhere near as good enough. The Byzantine were at least 7 techs ahead of me. I am still researching engineering for pikemen. I am worried about the Seljuk spawn taking over my Iranian cities. Right now though, Tibet and Khmer are my vassals and I could conquer Indonesia if I wanted considering that I have the largest navy in Asia and even take out undefended Oman if I wanted to, but I'd rather avoid the Arabs for now.

China India will grow larger!

I have just finished the playtesting till the Mughal spawn. Two unusual things which has happened again with me. I followed the advice of one of the players here and allowed the cities to flip. The peculiar thing is that even the capital of Pataliputra flipped ! That is NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN! This is the second time a capital city is flipping even though that didn't show in the option when flipping occurs. That was when I was playing Babylon and Babili flipped when I allowed the flip. Second odd thing which happened was that in my first try, the mughals did not declare war, but they did so in the second turn ?! Considering these unusual occurrences I'm thinking of modifying the spawn using WB when it happens so that Varanasi, Delhi and Takshashila don't flip but the Mughals get a killer stack in Afghanistan

I have just finished the playtesting till the Mughal spawn. Two unusual things which has happened again with me. I followed the advice of one of the players here and allowed the cities to flip. The peculiar thing is that even the capital of Pataliputra flipped ! That is NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN! This is the second time a capital city is flipping even though that didn't show in the option when flipping occurs. That was when I was playing Babylon and Babili flipped when I allowed the flip. Second odd thing which happened was that in my first try, the mughals did not declare war, but they did so in the second turn ?! Considering these unusual occurrences I'm thinking of modifying the spawn using WB when it happens so that Varanasi, Delhi and Takshashila don't flip but the Mughals get a killer stack in Afghanistan

yeah, the mughals should really just flip Kabul/Herat and Lahore and get a killer stack

why leoreth chose the Delhi is just weird and aggravating

The people of Bharatvarsha were already divided into the four fold caste, yet this division was weak. The shudra(worker) could become a Kshatriya(warrior), the Kshatriya could become a brahmin(priest) and a vaishya(trader/peasant) may be outcasted into a shudra. This primitive tribal existence of society kept us backwards and prevented development of our great race.

Spoiler :

The brahmins came together in the brahminical council to seek a change from here. With the acquisition of new knowledge of foreign peoples and new technologies, the brahmins who have held control over all knowledge thought of a plan for change. King Srutanjaya had a rival, Sukshruta, he had the claim by the laws of succession. Most importantly, this was a king who was firm in his belief in the righteousness of the caste system and conscious of his duty to dharma. Thus, began the bloody palace coup in Pataliputra.

Spoiler :

Over the next 16 years the new king established his rule throughout the realm. Every chief of all the mahajanapadas submitted to his reign. He appointed a council of advisors recruited among brahmans and established the advisory council. later historians would comment that this would be the beginning of an absolute rule over the Indian sub-continent. A precursor to absolute monarchy.

In the meanwhile, more explorations were conducted by emissaries of the king. Far to the west over the desert lands north of Gandhar(Afghanistan) we found a traveller from a distant continent. His skin was lighter, his clothes different and he spoke in a tongue most foreign to anything the people of Bharata had seen before. Yet, in structure, this language seemed not too dissimilar to sanskrit. This traveller said he hailed from the land of the Greeks, he delivered a message from their king Pericles :

Spoiler :

Our people were in peace and our cities grew as did our armies. New divisions of archers were trained from the town of Indraprasth ( called by its locals Dilli after Dhillika ) , agriculture was spreading with the cultivation of rice near Varanasi, and brahmin scholars were perfecting the rules and rituals of priesthood. In the midst of this peaceful environ, disturbing reports came from the hills beyond Gandhar of fierce chariot riding horsemen who had enslaved the people of Takshashila. They were now seeking new villages to reave and set their eyes upon the fertile Sindhu river. But we had set up our defenses, and this made the horsemen wary, deterring any chance of them invading us. King Srutunjaya would be proven an able defender of Bharatvarsha.

Spoiler :

However, a more disturbing report came in. An emissary from Greece had travelled the world and compiled a book on wealthiest nations of the world. Five great nations ruled the world. Of these the indian mahajanapadas featured at the lowest rank :

Spoiler :

The report sent the king's council into a tizzy. The ailing king Srutunjaya who had set Bharata on a new course, did not take this insult well. A fit of rage followed by a sudden attack of the heart took the life of our great king. His successor Suchi would have to take throne of Magadh and lead bharat to glory and establish its true place in the world as the leader of civilization.

Explorations continued to discover new lands and people. A race known as the Phoenicians had established themselves somewhere near the borders of the Babylonian empire. Our explorers had went around the seas of the deserts to find more barren and forested lands. The Northern borders of the Babylonians stood before the explorers now, but our request to pass through their lands to reach the Phoenicians would be turned down.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

With the establishment of the brahminical council in the wake of adopting forced labor, I am going to appoint a council of advisors to guide the king (me) for the next 80 turns of the game. Each update would now consist of 20 turns. The Council will remain unchanged for 4 updates. Then it will change as per qualifications of new subscribers.

I am giving until midnight day after tomorrow ( 46 hours from now ) for people to apply for a seat in the council. I will make the appointments on the basis of the following points :

1) Number of RFC DOC victories (1 point for each victory)

2) Difficulty levels in which said victories were achieved. (multiplier of 2 for monarch and multiplier of 4 for emperor level)

3) Regularity and frequency of engagement with this thread. (1 point for each post made in which a worthwhile contribution was given)

The council must have at least 3 players in it, so if I don't get applications I will suo motu make the appointments. The council will function through deliberations and make its final resolution known to the King. The King will have the power to call a council meeting and end the council meeting.

This structure will last as long as there is direct rule.

I will apply for a seat

DOC victories
7 viceroy games (Vikings Space Victory, England Space Victory, France Space Victory, Spain Space Victory, Holy Rome Domination Victory, Prussia Domination Victory, and Russia Space Victory)
2 monarch games (India Space Victory, China Domination Victory)
and my most recent
1 Emperor game as the Romans, Domination Victory

im currently in the middle of a monarch difficulty Thailand game, so i will edit this if i beat it before the deadline

I would like to become part of this council. Might I suggest this method too complex for a system where we serve you. I have had one victory in RFC DOC and no other multipliers to that victory. I might not be qualified in victories but I more than make up for that in my wisdom with decisions, especially militarily.

Edit: How will you show points for the last item?

Are you planning on taking the lands to the South? I would take some of those areas, but not too South as the Tamils will spawn eventually.

I'm not going to run, but I'm just wondering what you'll do when the Coca-Chola civilization shows up

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Please don't run, I have enough difficulty as it is because I have only finished one DOC game :p I play it for the fun and success of a huge empire, not winning.

I'm not going to run, but I'm just wondering what you'll do when the Coca-Chola civilization shows up

He'll probably conquer them

though that's not always the best idea because

1) More Euros to defeat
2) More maintenance cost
3) The Tamils make a fairly good trade partner (better than china, who backstabbed me at friendly)

The only plus side is it's an amazing commerce area

Simple. He;s going to open them up and drink them.

In my playtest I went all out expansionist early on. Once I got the iron I whipped swordsmen, axemen, catapults (with maths) and bought a few elephant mercs and threw it at the Cholas. It was actually they who declared war against me. Then I even settled an extra settler on Herat for the horse. Once Persia and Greece collapsed I took out Persepolis too. But I couldn't hold myself, I took out the undefended city of Pagan as well! By 600 AD I held Burma, India, Tamil Nadu and Persia! My economy was bleeding and my science rate became abysmally low. I had the largest empire on earth, but lagged behind from Byzantium and China. Tech trading got me some place but I was only trailing and not leading. I did not like that. I probably won't repeat that sorry experience. But still... I am always tempted to have a big India by the 12th century :) .

With only two applications received, King Srutunjaya decided to appoint the applicants on default basis. The king was visibly frustrated on this state of affairs. He pondered for hours on what to do with an incomplete council. He could not keep procrastinating from the administrative duties of a king, and he would not disestablish the office of the king's council, for that would anger the brahmins.

So the king must now work with this incomplete council. King Srutunjaya enlisted the structure, powers and duties of the King's Council :

1) The chief function of the King's council is to advice the king on matters of administration and policy. e.g changing civic options ( except government and labor ), deciding whether to expand territory or grant independence, whether to wage war or make peace, what wonders to build and where.

2) The King's council would only formulate proposals for the king, but it would be at his discretion how they would be implemented.

3) The Council would be a temporary body but which would last for 80 turns. However, If the king is dissatisfied with the council he may create a new council by dissolving the old one.

4) There is no compulsory retirement for councillors, if no new councillor comes forward to be part of the King's council, the old members or their heirs would continue their office.

5) The king may enlarge or decrease the powers of the council at his will.

With this, I declare the King's council to come in force

Welcome councillors :

Acharya Mukteshwar (Moai Spammer)

and

Acharya Nagabhatt ( CatterpillarKing)

In honor of being selected as councillors to the king's council I bestow you both with Sanskrit names and the title of Acharya :).

Congratulations!

Yay thank you! :D Oooo sanskrit, fancy :)

Top Bottom