A Tryst with Destiny

The elder rishis from the hills speak of a once great civilization, lost in time. This they say, were the forebearers of Bharat. They built vast cities of clay and brick built on the banks of the rivers Sindhu and Saraswati. The great civilization was centered around Harappa. But no civilization no matter how grand can withstand the ravages of time and the will of the mighty one. The centuries passed, and the fertile soil of the Sindhu and Saraswati turned to sand. The great river that once was the mighty Saraswati, returned to bosom of Brahma. The people of the once great cities abandoned their strongholds and scattered across the lands of Bharata, moving east and South. Cities fell, and villages rose.

Centuries passed, and there rose the nation of the Aryas, the great kingdom of Lord Rama and then came the clans of Pandavas and Kauravas. Their story has passed into the realm of myth and legend where only memories remain of the great dynasty of Bharata after which this land draws its name. The end of the Age of truth, the Satyug or Lord Ram and his descendants, came with the devastating Kurkshetra war. Brother fought brother for the fate of Bharat and the world.

The united empire that once was Aryavart has now been decimated, and splinter kingdoms have emerged on its ruins. These were the Indian Mahajanapads centered around large villages on the fertile plains of the mother of rivers, the river Ganga. The towns of Varanasi and Indraprasth, that ancient seat of the glorious Pandavas, were all that remained of the glory that was Bharatvarsha, :

.... but a new centre was emerging, farther east, where the Ganga turns South to meet the ocean, settlers would found the village of Patali gaon,

and in its bosom would rise a great metropolis, Pataliputra, the child of Patali. This city would become the capital of a great empire. Bharatvarsha shall rise again, greater than ever ...

Anyone else having issues seeing the last two pictures?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Works for me

Much better thank you :)

With the establishment of Pataliputra, the ruler of the city declared overlordship over all the lands of Magadh. This first dynasty of Magadh was founded by King Brihadratha, the Chandravanshi dynasty. The first King of Magadh sent out emissaries throughout the Ganges region calling for the unity all the mahajanapad into a confederacy.

Magadh was seen as more powerful and wealthier than all the other Janapadas. Should their rulers refute the offer of confederacy under Magadh's leadership, the path of conquest was open to them. The other janapadas would not stand a chance should the legions of archers descend upon their cities.

It was only the Magadhan that retained the learning of the Aryas. The secrets of agriculture, road building, bronze working, animal husbandry were all known. The vedas which were written and passed down from generation to generation was likewise a testament to our knowledge in writing. The same Vedas, which is the basis of our Hindu way of life.

The smaller janapadas of Varanasi and Indraprasth sensing their future under the divine guidance of Magadh, accepted the offer of subjugation by Brihadratha. Now Magadh shall rule over all of the Gangetic plains. The masses were content over years of peaceful rule and the peaceful subjugation of these kingdoms. The brahmins spoke of the beginning of a new age of prosperity which would be ushered in.

Just North of Magadh, stories came of a superior civilization. They called themselves the Chinese. These people saw themselves as the pinnacle of civilization and had the gall of threatening us with annihilation !

Soon after, the king sent out warriors on a mission. "You must explore the lands of Bharat, and beyond. I intend to reach out to the world and contact the civilizations spread through to the ends of the Earth" . The king would be known for building roads and extending agriculture throughout the janapadas his descendants would oversee a period of spiritual and intellectual enlightenment.

Woooooo go India!

Rules of the game :

Firstly, thanks for everyone who've shown interest in my story. On this game I'd like to clarify that I intend to make it a "write your own history" thread modelled on Royal Tenenbaum's America story and to some extent on CatterpillarKing's Brazil story.

I intend to start the participcation from the establishment of a monarchy (hereditary rule civic) where I will open ministerial posts modeled on Chanakya's system. I will specify the system of gameplay then and there. Likewise with each change in governance I will establish a new system and a new kind of voting will ensue.

I will play the game till the end of the 19th century. I haven't worked out the victory goal in mind, but I am not playing for the UHV :) .I welcome challenges/ideas on what kind of 'victories' can be had till 1899.

Rules of the game :

Firstly, thanks for everyone who've shown interest in my story. On this game I'd like to clarify that I intend to make it a "write your own history" thread modelled on Royal Tenenbaum's America story and to some extent on CatterpillarKing's Brazil story.

I intend to start the participcation from the establishment of a monarchy (hereditary rule civic) where I will open ministerial posts modeled on Chanakya's system. I will specify the system of gameplay then and there. Likewise with each change in governance I will establish a new system and a new kind of voting will ensue.

I will play the game till the end of the 19th century. I haven't worked out the victory goal in mind, but I am not playing for the UHV :) .I welcome challenges/ideas on what kind of 'victories' can be had till 1899.

1. Unite all of India, Southeast Asia, and Tibet under one rule by 1899
  2. Do not lose a single city to any European nation by 1899
  3. Be more powerful than China by 1899

Rules of the game :

Here's some possible goals

1. Hold at least five colonies in Africa by 1899.
2. Control all of Persia through conquest or vassalization by 1899.
3.Have at least five colonies in the Americas by 1899.
4. Control at least one of the Top 5 cities by 800 A.D.
5. Convert all Asian nations to Hinduism by 1700 A.D.

Obviously you can tweak the dates if you choose to go with any of these.

1. Allow no religion in India except Hinduism in 1899 (there are persecutors in DoC, right?) OR Spread Hinduism to 45%
2. Control 1/3 of the world's population in 1899 OR produce the most crop yield in 1899.
3. Allow no European cities in East Asia in 1899 OR control India, Indochina, and Persia in 1700

That capital placement... could be better.

actually, he should have settled the marble tile on the Indus

it gives the mughals one less city (because capitals can't be flipped), as well as being a better spot

Well maybe the ministers can get him to build a capital in a city that he founds there :)

That marble capital city was available in vanilla RFC. In DOC, if I don't settle the capital at the starting spot Varanasi or Dilli becomes the capital. I intend to simulate early history in India and build up Pataliputra as the main city in india. I did get Takshashila later on when a settler spawned from a tribal village. I'll update later tonight.

I'm going to make one playtest to see how I handle the Mughals just to remember how to tackle the Mughals. :)

The emissary of king Dharma went across Bharata, to the lands beyond the region of Gandhar once home to the heirs of the legendary Queen Gandhari and the hero Karna of the Mahabharat, the lands were little more than wastelands of barren hills and deserts. But explorers saw gems and cotton growing around the plains and hills of the region near the Sindhu. In the meanwhile, roads were completed connecting the janapad of Magadh to Kashi and the town of Varanasi.

Spoiler :

The brahmans of Bharata were now working on the secrets of new technologies. Masonry would allow us to build new buildings and mine the marble on the western desert which was once the great river Saraswati. Our explorer in the meantime, found an isolated village. These were the descendants of Gandhari, and sought a way to return to the lands of Bharatvarsha. The visit from our explorer was an eye opener for the villagers, and they all decided to journey East to the Sindhu river.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

..However, there were other, more hostile enemies in the lands to the West ...

The charioteers from the Iranian plains had hitherto been reaving the peaceful villagers of Gandhar from time to time. But our warrior liberated them from such a menial existence. As the villagers made their way back to a better life on the banks of the Sindhu(Indus) our warrior, the emissary of King Dharma, fought the charioteers to death.

The settlers from Gandhar founded the city of Takshashila, on the banks of the Sindhu river, with fertile flood-plains to its east and mineral rich forests and hills to its west, this would grow to become one of the greatest cities in Bharatvarsha. The Janapad of Takshashila was established as part of the federation of Mahajanapadas throughout North india.

Spoiler :

As the janapadas expanded, so did learning. Our brahmans had finally uncovered the secrets of masonry. All over the realm brahamans sought the King's sanction to build beautifully mastered places of worship.

Spoiler :

Yet, the people were not willing to build these as quickly or as strongly as the brahman priests wished. King Susuma, the son of King Dharma of Magadh, would only take such measure as would please all in his realm. But with new knowledge comes new demands, the brahmans would support a new king to replace the old indicisive rule of King Susuma. The new king would be Srutunjaya !

Spoiler :

Note : The names of Kings I am adopting are semi-historical : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brihadrathas_dynasty

Top Bottom