Abaddon's Weird News of the World!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazon working to fix Alexa after users report random burst of 'creepy' laughter

This looks like either an Onion article or a story idea for Twilight Zone/Black Mirror.

Amazon acknowledged on Wednesday that some of its Alexa-enabled devices have developed a new skill: creeping out their owners with unexpected and unwarranted bursts of robotic laughter.

“We’re aware of this and working to fix it,” the company told The Verge Wednesday.

People began reporting the problem with their “smart” speakers on social media in recent weeks. “So my mom & I are just sitting in the living room, neither of us said a word & our Alexa lit up and laughed for no reason,” tweeted one woman, Taylor Wade, on 5 March. “She didn’t even say anything, just laughed

Another Twitter user reported that Alexa began laughing in the middle of an office conversation: “I asked why she laughed and she said, ‘Sorry, I am not sure.’”

This is usually the last scene before people start getting locked in fridges or electrotuced by their appliances.

Straight for @Kyriakos

Romanian Court tells man he's not alive

In a case reminiscent of a Kafka novel, a Romanian court has ruled that a 63-year-old man is dead despite what would appear to be convincing evidence to the contrary: the man himself appearing alive and well in court.​

And the man is a Romanian who's having trouble with the Turks… hmmm.

Its not the Turks but the Romanian courts.

I would assume he would have a case with the ECHR.

It is after all a clearly farcical decision.

It is after all a clearly farcical decision.
Yet the Romanian courts have ruled that the decision is final and he's not allowed to appeal it because he's dead and dead people can't use the court system, so the case is closed.

Well, that's clearly unworkable.

Its not the Turks but the Romanian courts.
Actually he's having trouble with the Turkish authorities because his passport isn't valid any longer.

Which is because he is legally dead in Romania.
turkey has many faults but this is not their cause.

I had this friend who for four consecutive years was refused his tax refund because the IRS insisted that he was dead. He kept asking them how he was generating all this taxable income and withholdings if he was dead, and also asking them to please inform the US Navy that he was dead so they would let him off the boat. Dunno what ever became of that. Last I saw of him he was still officially dead, and still on the boat.

Talk about a skeleton crew.

You can get updates for traffic signs printed on plastic with a sticky backing supplied with a film over the backing, just peel off the backing and stick on the sign.
You can also get plain white (its not just white it has some variation to help with visibility) which the council could stick over Gotham City etc.
If they do not have any plain white in stock and do not want to wait a day for some to come in the post they could spay them out with temporary spray paint, comes off with a brush and water or a few months of rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom