1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Add-On Pack 1

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by Dale, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Dale

Dale Deity

Then play at a harder level. :)

2. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

3. Kalimakhus

Kalimakhus Emperor

I have just downloaded the Add-On pack. First of all It is quite amazing that you released it that soon. I haven't actually played much yet so I have no additional notes about the game play other than what was already mentioned. The points I would like to stress are City sizes, and cultural borders expansion. The last I actually ran into with WWII 1939 Mod as well. In general a realistic mod like these two should find a work around the usual mechanics of cultural borders in the game. It is so obvious especially with crowded maps like Europe. One solution would be to grant the conquered city some extra culture or reassign the same cultural level it used to have so it will keep its borders. (In real life borders don't shrink when cities are taken)

Anyway my other note has nothing to do with game play. I have noticed that you included the source code for the DLL. As a programmer I appreciate this very much. It is a chance to inspect and learn from a master. However, you just forgot to remove the intermediate compilation files for both debug and release builds. These files are quite huge. They add tons of MBs to the download without any real benefit. (Well unless it occurred to me to change something and recompile the DLL, it should take less time to compile).

Anyway if it is your intention to release the code (which I would be thankful for), just consider making this a separate download, without build time files of course. Most people won't really need the code. Separating media files also can give people with limited internet band-width a chance to enjoy the mod. Though I must say that the intro movie is quite a treat very well thought over and the implementation is impressive.

Again I like the game pace, time between turns is more than reasonable, almost fast given the number of civs and units.

Looking forward to your incoming additions and fixes to make an amazing work even better.

4. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon King

I'm most impressed with the quality of this modpack. The movies alone are just... stunning, for lack of a better word, and so well done. Kudos. This has to be one of my favorites.

5. Dale

Dale Deity

Thanks folks. :)

As for the DLL source, thanks for the reminder. That's the code I work from, hence the build files still in there.

6. The Pharaoh

The Pharaoh Chieftain

Hello all, I've been playing the mo and I must say that I have enjoyed it greatly. However, I have a problem. Whenever I try to have a multiplayer game, only the first nation selected seems to be playable. Once you enter the game, a message saying "player (n) is joining the game. Please wait." occurs, but no matter how long you wait, they never seem to join. Any suggestions?

7. Dale

Dale Deity

Can't say I know much about how the mod will play via MP. I don't play MP.

Can anyone confirm the above?

8. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

Shouldn't Germany start with a few artillery pieces? I believe Hitler himself inspected the shelling of Poland with great satisfaction. :) There was something else but I forgot. Otherwise this is a great scenario. Is there any chance you could redo the WWI scenario for BtS? :D

9. Caleb_kreegan

Caleb_kreegan Chieftain

hi Dale, really nice mod and scenarios but i've played with Germany and Spain and i realized that the voices of the units are in american english... it would be great if u put them into the german and spanish voices to each one
    anyway nice! :D

10. Dale

Dale Deity

Caleb_kreegan:

In the next bit of the add-on, I'll do some of the voice fixing. :)

11. lamppost4

lamppost4 Holder of the Light

I am not completely sure where to post this but since it happened during the add on pack to ill post it here. Whenever I try this mod, a screen pops up during the first turn like a movie is about to play and then the game crashes.

12. Dale

Dale Deity

Have a look in c:\Program Files\Firaxis\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\The Road to War\Assets\Art\movies\Intros

Is there a file called RtW_intro.bik?

13. Dale

Dale Deity

This is the current change log for the up-coming beta 2. :)

14. Kalimakhus

Kalimakhus Emperor

@Dale

Do you mind using some of your mod's components in other mods (with due credits given appropriately of course)? What I have in mind for now are the bombing missions and the specialized factories for different types of modern units. They can fit into the regular game nicely and enhance it a lot.

15. Dale

Dale Deity

No problems

16. Lord Dom

Lord Dom Chieftain

one suggestion i have is bringing in more units, so as to give each civ a unique fell. i know this is a lot of work but you should do it like edu for ww 2.

17. Dale

Dale Deity

The only problem is graphics. I am not a unit-maker. If I was, then RtW would be full of single-colour boxes moving around the map. :D

As it is, some of the UU's still do not have unique graphics as no one has created them. Having more UU's for minor civs, or even different graphics for minor civs would massively compound the problem. Aside from the fact the sheer number of units would become unmanageable.

18. Dale

Dale Deity

BTW, I've just added era-specific Great People names.

So now your GG's will be from WW2. :)

19. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

get me that units-needed list dale when you get a second ;)

20. Joebasalt13

Joebasalt13 Warlord

Well for new units, you can start by looking through the unit index on here and add all the WW2 units created by others. If you haven't done so already of course ;)