1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Add-On Pack 1

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by Dale, Jul 30, 2007.

1. krokodil

krokodil Chieftain

LOL that was funny as hell

2. kettyo

kettyo Seeker of Reality

Really the leader of Japan during WW2 was not the young Hirohito but General Hideki Tojo.

3. Dale

Dale Chieftain

It's too hard to please everyone. Let it go kettyo.

4. kettyo

kettyo Seeker of Reality

I'm quite pleased with your mod, thanks :D
    Just wanted to point out that Hirohito was just a puppet.

And awaiting the global version :yumyum:

5. nemt

nemt Chieftain

Hirohito wasn't a puppet, he was just relegated to the Japanese Emperor's more traditional role (similar to the shogun period). I agree Tojo should be the leader included in the mod, unless you want to make Vittorio Emmanuel III the Italian leader and George VI the British leader.

6. kettyo

kettyo Seeker of Reality

I guess neither of us could produce the leaderhead though it would be great.

7. nemt

nemt Chieftain

Hmm..

perhaps he could be made from Gandhi?

8. Drogear

Drogear Chieftain

Anyone else have problems with opening saves? I cant get them to load, CTD at every attemt on several diffrent files.

9. VeteranLurker

VeteranLurker Chieftain

Dale posted a fix for the save problem this morning.

10. Drogear

Drogear Chieftain

Very good. Now I only have to find it.... proving to be hard at first try :)

11. LoNNemesis

LoNNemesis Chieftain

12. Yabon83

Yabon83 Chieftain

hello Dale,

First i congratulate you for your amazing work on that mod (and all the comtributors too :)).
    I'm a WW2 fan and i really love your mod (i find it balanced and playable, i really appreciate it).

But since i installed you last Update i discover that french are slightly nerfed!!
    (yes i'm french lol).

Now ALL the Unit are weaker than all other country.
    It's historically inacurate (now chinese have better tank and infantery, same thing with the Italians (The italian never win a battle versus the french in the 39-40 period!))

I know that France lose the war very quickly but the main reason was the "Doctrine" and not the material.

In the early period of the war (1939) France had very good tanks but not enough. The B1 Bis was largely better (guns and armor) than a panzer III (during the Battle of France, only the 88 flak Canon was able to destroy the B1 Bis Armor).
    The R35 in the other hand was weaker than the German equivalent.

I think this nerf of the french Unit is not balanced.

I think you'll not change that but i need to mention it.

In the futur it will be more accurate to keep the early french Unit (Tank, Infantery and planes) weaker but give some normal statistiques to the other Units.

For example :
    With your Update
    Panzer4 strong :30
    B1 Bis strong : 23

i propose :
    Panzer 4 : 30
    B1 bis : 27 but less movement (1 for example, it was the principal weakness of this tank)

Same thing for infantery (Why the french infantery is so weak!! do not understand!!)
    You can keep the french planes as they are now : it's correct (the only good french plane was the Dewoitine 520).

To sum up i would say : better stats for some of the french units(B1 bis, Advanced infantery, Dewoitine) especially in the second period of the war (since 1940), but less technologie and unit number at the start in order to play a more realistic experience.

Thanks again Dale.

PS : i don't know if it is possible but i'll try to make that modifications for me... is it possible and is it Hard?

13. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Hi Yabon,

Thanks for the comments. :)

Yes it's true that historically that French units should be a little stronger than they are in RtW, and that German doctrine and tactics were the telling factor in the Battle of France (sending the entire northern army into Belgium/Holland got them cut off by Guderian). However it's almost impossible to simulate this in Civ4. Hence the weaker units. :)

14. kettyo

kettyo Seeker of Reality

Did the Italians win a single war in the whole war? :evil:

(strange cos they fought quite hard in WW1)

15. Dale

Dale Chieftain

They conquered Ethiopia and Albania in the leadup to WW2. ;)

16. Samael

Samael Chieftain

And, as a result, were somewhat taxed out by the time WW2 pulled around, if I recall correctly.

17. Yabon83

Yabon83 Chieftain

ok i understand Dale.

But someone can answer my last Question ?
    Is it hard and/or long to do some modifications in the Units Stats?

Thx

18. nemt

nemt Chieftain

The Italian and Italian-Askari forces conquered British Somaliland, and large parts of the Sudan early in the war before being driven from East Africa and beginning a massive guerilla campaign against the allies in the region.

The Royal Air Force and National Republican Air Force had equal or favorable kill ratios with the allies throughout the war, despite utilizing outmoded planes in many instances.

Italian cavalry forces (ie: horses + sabres) launched the final two cavalry charges in the history of war against british (second last) and soviet (last) forces, both with surprising success.

Italian forces involved in Operation Barbarossa achieved victories over both retreating and advancing Soviet forces, many times fighting while the Germans ran (a strategy also used by Rommel). The Italian forces successfully repelled a massive Soviet counterstrike in Stalino, and held positions on the Don River long after the Germans had fled west.

The Italians also had the premiere naval special operations unit in the war (Tenth Assault Vehicle Flotilla) which was the inspiration for the US Navy SEALs later on in the century. A large coordinated assault on New York harbor was planned by Junio Borghese and Karl Doenitz, but was called off as the war ended.

19. DarthCycle

DarthCycle WWII Freako

Actually, this is incorrect. Doctrine and unit quality should be reflected by promotions, not unit strength.

Early german tank, for example Panzer II, should have weaker base strength than equivalent french tank. However, due to better training and doctrine the german tank unit should have combat I-II and perhaps a bliztkrieg doctrine than would give it some extra punch. This would be more accurate as a design model instead of tweaking with comparative base strength of unit.

20. DarthCycle

DarthCycle WWII Freako

Here's a couple of comments on the 1938 scenario.

First of all, congratulations on the amount of work you've put in this, the fun factor is definitively there.

My biggest problem relies with the OOB, the order of battle. For germany, it is completely off.

1) There's too many Pz IV. In fact, there should be almost none. Less than 200 units were produced in 1938 and 1939. Right now, they amount to about 20% of the unit count.
    2) Tank destroyer. There should be none. These units were introduced in order to recycle old tank chassis later into the war and to make up for the german inability to produce tank in sufficent numbers (they were a cheaper alternative). At most, there should be a few anti-tank units but no tank destroyer.
    3) Too many air units. It should be tone down a little.
    4) More german infantry. There's too little right now.
    5) Sea unit. About right. However, I would have the northern cities have battleships in their queue, with about 50% completed. I would also remove the tank and air factory from those cities.
    6) City setup. I like your design where a factory is required in order to build tank or air units. However, I would reduce the cities where they can be built and increase the cost of these factories. They should cost about 25+ turns of production, meaning it should be a hard choice to start building them. This way, only a few key cities would be able to produce tanks and a few others would produce air units, which would simulate the shortage the german had. The backbone of the army is the infantry and artillery. Tank and air units are support units. We should cherish the few units we have of that type and really feel their loss.

I haven't look at the other country but my guess some tuning will also be required. Still a great mod/scenario but a lot of improvement are required.

Need any help?