1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Add-On Pack 1

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by Dale, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

I still think Firaxis should have made this mod official and coded the AI specially for the mod, e.g. Germany not being likely to invade Britain, USSR pulling back its forces to use for a surprise encircling of German armies near Stalingrad, etc.

Otherwise I think the mod is about as good as any WWII mod will be without Firaxis resources.

2. VeteranLurker

VeteranLurker Warlord

After more extensive play, as both Germany and Japan and USA(Pacific), I wanted to add some more observations:

1) I too noticed the "invincible air unit" anomalie, but it was in a fort not a city and I was trying to take it with infantry or tanks. Hopefully this has been fixed as you say, but wanted to point out it wasn't limited to cities.

2) Perhaps for the noble or lower levels, at least put a remedial militia type unit on the unoccupied islands in the Pacific. It takes 200 some turns to build anything out there, so I was easily able to sweep in and clean up those islands basically for the price of loading a transport. So far on prince level I am noticing that most islands have garrisons so maybe it is a level issue. Again, a half-strength type unit might be enough.

3) Colonies. I notice oil in Alaska, and I build a fort (connected by rail) there but it doesn't grab the resource nor will it allow a well since of course it is not inside my borders. Perhaps this isn't how it is supposed to work? Perhaps adding a couple settlers at the start of the scenario (but without the ability to build any more) would help?

3. tajjuk

tajjuk Chieftain

I tried adding a few settlers with worldbuilder but it wont let you put any down, i thought that the USA in the pacific game is a bit low on mainland cities, and considering their imense production capabilities they seemed a bit inferior to the japanese.

4. Dale

Dale Deity

Beta 3 will be available tomorrow. :)

5. Kalimakhus

Kalimakhus Emperor

This is really a good news :goodjob: . Thanks a lot for you hard work on this Dale.

6. Dale

Dale Deity

Beta 3 (full version) is NOW AVAILABLE!

Before installing delete the entire Road to War folder from ..\Beyond the Sword\Mods\

The installer is the full version.

7. vidimce

vidimce Warlord

When is the no movies version be available ?

8. Dale

Dale Deity

It's uploading now, so about 6 in the morning my time (it's 9pm now). :)

9. vidimce

vidimce Warlord

Cool. Well Im on Gold Coast mate. Ill just download the full version. :)

10. wotan321

wotan321 Emperor

Dale,

What did you change to make the AI more active?

11. actonweber

actonweber Chieftain

I play Civ4 and BtS on the STEAM version so this may apply only to that situation.

After following Dale's instructions for installation, the RtW options did not appear on the scenarios list in BtS. I did the following to fix it:

MOVE the RtW sub-folder from the Add-On Pack folder created in ../Valve..../BtS/Mods to a temp location (along with the install and uninstall files.)

DELETE the ../Valve....BtS/Mods/Add-On Pack folder.

MOVE the good RtW folder (and other files) into .../Valve..../BtS/Mods.

Voila! Problem fixed.

What a great Mod for a great game. After reading about the changes, I can't wait to get started. Thanks, Dale!

12. Dale

Dale Deity

Strategies, Warplans and AreaAI's.

13. wotan321

wotan321 Emperor

Oh, good. I have no idea what those are.... but they sound very impressive. I am excited about trying out the new update.

14. Dale

Dale Deity

No movies version up now. :)

15. wotan321

wotan321 Emperor

Dale,

Tell us what you did in the Civ4LeaderHeadInfos.xml file, the changes you made and how you intend for those changes to effect gameplay. I am not clear on what all those attitude tags do.

Thanks.

16. Dale

Dale Deity

Basically, the leader heads file controls how long and how badly a leader will remember certain opponent actions. It effectively controls their attitudes to others.

For instance, Montezuma has a long memory of who backstabs them, and an affinity to war. Using Montezuma I based all the major's leaders off him and made them more aggressive and likely to spend more on military and more likely to attack.

17. Dale

Dale Deity

Strategies control the long term goals of the civ. For example, the civ may employ a high espionage strategy which means it'll spend more on EP points, build more spies and use them against others.

War plans are basically your "Chiefs of Staff". They control what military is built and how it is used. For example a civ could run under WARPLAN_ASSAULT_MASSING which means it'll build units for a naval invasion, but not deploy them. As soon as the warplan switches to WARPLAN_ASSAULT it'll deploy the naval invasion against the intended target.

Area AI's control a specific area of the map and control what units are made and deployed where. An area AI is determined by what the current warplan is, and the overall strategy. The AI's short term goals in fact.

Blake can give a much better explanation than me though. :)

18. wotan321

wotan321 Emperor

Hmm... I'd like to see the civs more aggressive if attacked but have a shorter memory, so diplomacy could be a little more dynamic. I am glad the civs are more aggressive in war, but it seems that in the earlier version it wasn't possible to woo other civs cuz they were stuck in their attitude. I think I will tinker with this....

Thanks for your great work on this, the newest beta is fantastic.

19. Dale

Dale Deity

How's the AI holding up? Notice any changes with them?

20. Virulent

Virulent King

Hey Dale,

How many more betas do you have planned for Add on Pack 1? Are you going to wait until Firaxis releases the next BtS patch before you make a finalized version of AoP1?