ADNES1: Development Thread

Do you have an interest in helping or playing in a NES

• Total voters

Aiken_Drumn

Deity
Supporter
"Narrative roleplaying games in diverse settings, with an emphasis on collaborative writing and world building."

Long has NES slumbered.

I intend to construct a fun, simple sandbox for a small number of players. Mostly as a proof of concept that NES still has a place in 2021. It's setting will be an adaption of the fantastic mod by Plotinus, The Rood and the Dragon

If this is successful, I will allow a influx of more players in Jan 2022 and launch a full scale NES.

I will post various snippets in this thread as I make them, seeking out feedback.

Firstly though, are there any intrepid travellers still out there, with the time to add their :c5gold::c5gold:?

Last edited:
Well I'm interested. Can't help much though.

Any thoughts on concepts? Just going classical but small scale?

Interest is enough at this stage!

I have been thinking a lot on how to reduce the burden of the update. While for certain getting player orders in is a bore, virtually all NES have died as everyone waits for an update to come.

One route I have considered is an adaption of Roll 2 Rule by @Thorvald of Lym. In so much that orders are posted in thread, and their success decided by a dice roll. That means to update, I only have to roll a dice and write a line or two about each nation. Basic Nation/Tribe/Leader/(or whatever organism I decide you are controlling) stats will be kept as simple as possible. Any map work will be complex initially so that players understand their surroundings.. but then will be kept super simple for simplicity.

I'll contribute to the process.

Stats:

Uladh: Kyzarc Fotjage

Strength: 25/25
Leadership: Eochaid mac Muiredaig Muinderg
Capital: Ráth Celtchair
Religion: Pagan with flickers of Christianity
Colour: Green
Diplomacy: None
VAM: +1 for 2 updates

Mumha: Angst

Strength: 20/20
Leadership: Dauí Iarlaithe mac Maithni
Capital: Corcaigh
Religion: Weakly Pagan
Colour: Purple
VAM: +1 rolls relating to Ships & trade, -1 to rolls when interacting with a nation with Strong Religion

Meadh: Terrance888

Leadership: Failge Berraide
Capital: Uisneach
Religion: Pagan
Colour: Red
VAM: None

Connachta : Gelion
Leadership: Dauí Tenga Uma mac Briúin
Capital: Sligo
Religion: Christian
Colour: Orange
Description: Western Irish nation

Dunluce : Birdjaguar
Leadership: Fionn mac Cumhaill (Finn MacCool)
Capital: Ballykeel
Religion: Pagan
Colour: Dark Blue
Description: North East coast Irish nation
Diplomacy: +1 When acting with Dal Ariad

Laighn : erez
Strength: 10/15
Leadership: Illan mac Dúnlainge
Capital: Kilkenny
Colour: Blue
Description: South east Irish nation

Tyr Connail
Leadership: llan mac Fráech
Capital: Sligo
Colour: Burgundy
Description: North west Irish nation.
VAM: Great Barracks of Sligo(+5 to all Military Rolls)

Dal Ariadi: NPC

Leadership: Dúnlainge mac Finchada
Capital: Doire
Colour: Yellow
Description: Northern Irish nation
VAM: Shipyard of Doire (+2 to all Ship related rolls)
Diplomacy: +1 When acting with Dunluce

Last edited:
@erez87 @Terrance888 I see those votes :) Do you have time to lend some opinions, or more interested in playing whatever results?

I am sure they will be :D

Now, is there interest in setting this pre-history, historic, or present day? Realistic or Fantastical?

Honestly personally I could really do with a classic, simple NES in a historical setting, whether real world or not.

I am sure they will be :D

Now, is there interest in setting this pre-history, historic, or present day? Realistic or Fantastical?
Just nothing too niche. If you want to keep it small maybe something with city states in a certain geographical area.

I like the idea of posting orders publicly, and have experimented with some systems to that effect.

A random concept jumping off of erez87's post would be maybe Mycenean/Minoan city states c. Bronze Age Collapse/Trojan War era. Or something like BJ's Egypt unification NES.

I have been under various time crunches and stresses recently, but by next year I'll be settled in my new job and finished some online classes.

All sounding good chaps. If either I can get a Med-Cradle or even a old NK Map of an appropriate era I think that will be the setting. I will leave the random civs around the globe for the "full" NES.. but trials will be based around the Med.

Yes! A NES was run like that once. Had a lot of clans, waaay to many moving parts to manage (30+ I recall) but if I simplify the map (make it tiles) and simply the update (Roll to Dodge style progress) on some basic stats.

I want to keep the time passed as short - a year or two years at a time. This reduces the actual ability to make huge changes to the world and a need to track technologies etc.. but more a diplomatic/war sandbox to play out in.

Lets aim to pull something together within the next fortnight to trial out a few turns.

Yes that looks great. Unfortunately the borders are fuzzy. Does anyone have a way to clear that up with a click? Otherwise I might get a bit lazy in paint and not always colour it in.. even though that is hideous!

Spoiler test map :

I did a similar color picker and pulled out all the blacks.

Pros - pretty quick and dirty.
Cons - some borders are missing. If you want I can work on it more to clean up missing pixels.

EDIT: Empty sea tiles are ones where the coast is broken somewhere

That's great at!

Ocean can combined into one, and if its easy the borders filled in.

Beware I'll likely return to a euro map anyway for the main game (I assume there will be more interest?) but maybe I should just stick with the UK.... So don't spend too much effort here please :)

Top Bottom