1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Age of Colonisation

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by imperator1961, Aug 28, 2007.

1. imperator1961

imperator1961 Last of the Mohicans

The population cost for me is necessary to reflect the difficul to raise huge army in 1500-1600 so the majority of troops were mercenaries. Another thing is the limit of population due to bubbonic plague and lack of food. So the cavalry units have 2 population cost to reflect also the elite status (they come from patricians) and their low number, and other troops 1 population cost, and the mercenaries have no population cost.
    For Netherland I have raised the original number of city (3) to 4 but if necessary we can raise it to 5 or raise the number of unit at the start of the game. What do you think of this?

2. imperator1961

OH, OH I see a problem. What happens if another civ like Ottomans, Rus or Swedish conquest territories of Holy Roman Empire in which there are mercenaries resources? They can raise Landschneckt or Swiss mercenaries but this is unhistorical. Also they have other kind of mercenary troops like Norseman and Cossacks.
    In CIV3Edit we must assign the Landsckneckt and Swiss Mercenary only a certain civ AND the resource requested Mercenaries.

3. EX-terminator

EX-terminator Chieftain

oh, sorry, i want to say worker xD
    but the Tupi, are an interesting civ, so, i'm brazilian, and i love the american history, and about the tupi, they can have another rival civ, like the Jê, or Gê, that are the same civ, but that civ will represent an group of language, like the Tupi.
    so, there is an resourse called overseas exploration. I think it's desnecessary because only the sea-expansionist civs have acess to it, and we can make a civ like in MEM, that you have really to download, so, the civ have unique techs, this can allow to it new units. so, an idea it's to put an unique tech for spain, that allow it to build more fast ships in the early of the game, and portugal, a little latter, the other civs will have this same ships, but a latter than the 2, this allow spain and portugal to establish an more strong colony, and making the another civ "search" for location to made it's own colony or declare war to the other civ to conquer it.
    i will make some changes in the .biq and send to you by e-mail, so, the curious people will have "água na boca (water in mouth)", like we say here in Brazil ^^
    well, bye, and wait for the e-mail with the link to download it ^^

4. imperator1961

Ok, its'true. In game there's a civ advance called Colonization. Spain and Portugal have it at the start, the other civilizations must discover it during the game. Historically the Spanish have a little advantage over the Portuguese and in game this is represented by the fact they have Caravels at the start and the portuguese must build these. In the last version that I havent'upload yet, I have deleted the colonists to all civs excepted for Spain and Portugal. So the advantage of spain and portugal over all other european civs is done. In game testing the Spain can explore and settle in american continent instead Portugal is focused in african continent.
    I suggest you to play the Mod for some turns to test all.
    In the end I have dowloaded your biq. but it have many graphic differences between the original. Can you try to use the original biq. for further modifications? Thanks and bye.

5. cubsfan6506

cubsfan6506 Got u

OT: I'm going to get this out of the way first, aren't the patricians from roman times or do you guys still call rich nobles in Italy that.
    Here are my notes on the biq. (Everything I say here is being addicted to the mod this is based off of the great game, and testing how the A.I will react to certain historicle things from this era in preperation for my own canceled mod.)

1. Ditch the victory point locations the A.I doesn't settle on them. They just send out units to gaurd them or native civs ussually grab them first not really giving the colonisers any chance for getting them.

2. Here is an old quote I highly suggest you follow this
    3. How to handle colonists. The euros will not builde colonists in europe to ship them oversees once they have their first city on the mainland. So heres an example England will not build colonists in europe to send to north america once they have a city their. But they may still build ones to send off the the carribean.

So here is a solution to that problem. Make settlers auto produced in europe only small wonders. (As a side affect you will have to turn off sea trade. Yet this is entirely worth it for it also have a serious reduction in turn time.)

4. I would make coastal india open to colonisation. Place Ideal city locations around the indian coast and Sri Linki.

5. Place a impassable mountain terrain down the middle of asia placement similar to that of aoi. But make it include manchuria and Korea on the souther half. (This is to prevent colonisation of India from overland.

6. Weakan congo and mali they are to conquerable which is unrealistic. Make them barbarians. Same with the native americans.

I will make more posts later.

6. EX-terminator

EX-terminator Chieftain

i do not think that we can make the natives barbarians
    so, the history said that many europeans kingdons make alliance to they to have more power in the land

7. EX-terminator

EX-terminator Chieftain

and about the biq, the only modification where the city location and some correction of terrain in north africa
    no one change in graphics
    so, the change seens because you open the biq in the wrong location. If you move it to the location of the archive of graphics, it will seens the same ^^

8. imperator1961

Wow, thanks cubfan6506.
    1. Its' true, I have see it in game. We will delete victory point, but we can change also the victory conditions of the Mod.
    2. The idea of Ideal City Locations is intersting, but how to make this in game? For russian settlers the idea is to avoid other's european civs to settle in east russian, it's true? If so for me it's OK. In game test I see several times the spanish, portuguese anf dutch colonists go to east instead of toward america and africa.
    3. Good idea, but what we do for a small wonder that built colonist only after a civ have a city in africa or america?
    4. In india the historical conquest was by attack and conquest already existing cities. So I think is better to maintain the situation.
    5. I have made this, but I leaved a passage from China.
    6. I think like EX-terminator. The africans have more powerful kingdoms, but I think we can create several Ideal City Locations along the coasts.

9. imperator1961

OK. My error. Thanks.

10. imperator1961

Sorry. I intended the rich nobles, from whom the cavalry troops were raised.

11. EX-terminator

EX-terminator Chieftain

imperator, get online in MSN now ^^

12. imperator1961

Hi mat. I am at work now and I cannot use MSN. I can post only in this thread.

13. EX-terminator

EX-terminator Chieftain

ok
    how you could enter?
    so, you can put the hour there in Italy, i know to convert to here in Brazil ^^

14. imperator1961

The hour in Italy is 2.45 PM. Today in cannot enter, 'cause I'm out home. Tomorrow I could enter in MSN at 6 PM.

15. EX-terminator

EX-terminator Chieftain

=P
    that's is an problem
    but tommorrow we can work ^^
    today i have hunted some new graphics, and i have found some flavor units for the Russians and Slavics, and some for the Far Eastern, but we have to work the biq file before, and toguether is the only way ^^

16. imperator1961

Greats units, I have see them. Do you think is possible ask to the authors for to design some units for our Mod?

17. cubsfan6506

cubsfan6506 Got u

18. EX-terminator

EX-terminator Chieftain

i know this
    so, looking to the date, the MOD beggins in 1496, the correct date is 1492, that Colombo arrives to Santa Mônica, in Bahamas.
    So, about units, each country have a unit, i whink we can change it, and one mode to make this is to start the units again, so, we can look the units we will use and delete some desnecessary, like "French Pikeman" and "Dutch Pikeman", that have the same graphics and all, so, we can put "European Pikeman", "Slavic Pikeman", "Arab Pikeman", "Eastern Pikeman", "Meso Pikeman" and "African Pikeman", they will have different graphics so, will act as flavor units, and this makes the game fore likely to reallity and no so heavy to load

19. EX-terminator

EX-terminator Chieftain

o yeah, the North American Indians can have some flavor units, to plains a "Mounted Pike" and to iroquois and inter-mountain the "Indian Pike", so, the civs of Amazonia can have "Amazonian Pike", that unit i minded to Tupi and for an new civ, the Jê, that will be the adverssary of the Tupi in the colonization of Brasil. So, we have to put some Impassable Mountais from the Incan to the Amazonia, because they colonize that area

20. imperator1961

Sorry Mat. I am out home for three/four days. I will return next week. Bye.