Age of Imperialism: 1895-1924 PBEM

I have somewhat of an unique problem, being the USA in both game i can see I might make the misstake of confusing Diplomatic situations. I will take care to look up the player in the roster but it might help to refer in the subject line something like AoI, where the original might be P, AoI or something on these lines. I'll copy this message to the other thread as well
Thanks
Eclipse

I have been saying old or new game to differentiate between the two. The one on this thread being the new game.

Unless the majority of players speak up and support adding a second city trading rule we shouldn't try implementing it. I mean it might just be that not everyone has commented on the forum, but because that is our only metric of polling, it appears to be a minority movement. My opinion has already been stated though not to the extent of describing what I propose/status quo as trading conduct.

First off the allowance of protecting cities railroaded to the capital nullifies the rule in much of western europe and almost completely for some players. Other than that the rule only says a city must be empty during the transfer which means 1 or 2 turns of a vulnerable city until it changes ownership - this is the only thing that makes trading different in this game from any other pbem. That means intercepting a trade isn't a new creation it's just the fact that the city is empty. So we are looking at a military- not diplomatic - effect on the gameplay. Is it even a military advantage to capture a city empty is a matter of situation (in a suprise attack as discussed, I would prefer to kill some cavalry or artillery instead of take the city first to have them attack me after). Yet it is still matter if questionable and if the only. That'd be the basis for an additional rule if it is added.

Perhaps outside of the military aspect, A recaptured and damaged city may trade for less on the real estate market. Also the recapture would delay the trade. But this is assuming the garisson otherwise present would be absolutely impregnable. Then it assumes that the land could be reclaimed.

If other issues are to be explored I don't see why they aren't brought up for every PBEM with the potential for city transferring. It's not like random cities will be going to random owners at constant high volume throughout the whole game. No one is required to do any trades, no one is required to attack without a warning - or even at all. Don't buy a city if it's in a bad neighborhood. Either announce a trade or keep it secret - whichever course you think is best. Just don't think they won't see it on the map when their turn comes. If your purchase is lost during an attack on your partner you have choices: to just give it up, ask either the trade partner or the aggressor for your "money" back, declare war on either of them to fight for your lost share, or on both of them if you think it was a scam.

what's the rule about declaring war during the beginning? do we need to wait a certain number of turns?

I thought people were talking about not being able to declare war first turn? Oh wel, I'll let you guys know what I end up doing.

Back from camping in what seemed to be the only bit of the UK to get rain this weekend! Thanks for playing my turn, Bowsling!

I will stop making rule suggestions, and go with whatever the game-master, TomYo, says in the first two posts - I can see this getting wildly complicated!

First off the allowance of protecting cities railroaded to the capital nullifies the rule in much of western europe and almost completely for some players. Other than that the rule only says a city must be empty during the transfer which means 1 or 2 turns of a vulnerable city until it changes ownership - this is the only thing that makes trading different in this game from any other pbem.

If other issues are to be explored I don't see why they aren't brought up for every PBEM with the potential for city transferring.

So I understand correctly, Tom:

-Players can trade cities, but cannot gift non-contiguous cities to the AI. E.g. France could gift Djibouti to Ethiopia but not Polynesia.

-The city traded must be emptied of troops before the trade, for the purpose of preventing magical teleportation of troops back to the capital.

-Otherwise, there is no waiting time for transfers. So if the two players are back to back, the transfer would be right away, but if there are turns in between, someone could be That Guy and seize the empty city. If players are trading cities, they could go on trust where one person gifts on one turn and the other gifts on his turn.

This sound about right?

So I understand correctly, Tom:

-Players can trade cities, but cannot gift non-contiguous cities to the AI. E.g. France could gift Djibouti to Ethiopia but not Polynesia.

-The city traded must be emptied of troops before the trade, for the purpose of preventing magical teleportation of troops back to the capital.

-Otherwise, there is no waiting time for transfers. So if the two players are back to back, the transfer would be right away, but if there are turns in between, someone could be That Guy and seize the empty city. If players are trading cities, they could go on trust where one person gifts on one turn and the other gifts on his turn.

This sound about right?
I'm not Tom, but it looks like you're correct.

Cyc, why aren't you playing again?
The game just got too busy with the Rick thing and the new game. Seemed there was a lot of confusion, so I sat it out. Plus, before he left, Sting had offered to let me play the USA for him. I would have enjoyed that, but it's no longer available. Is there a decent nation open? Or just the smaller ones?

Cyc said:
The game just got too busy with the Rick thing and the new game. Seemed there was a lot of confusion, so I sat it out. Plus, before he left, Sting had offered to let me play the USA for him. I would have enjoyed that, but it's no longer available. Is there a decent nation open? Or just the smaller ones?

take germany from the old game and austria from the new game, or something.. we really need a player or two

Guess what Cyc. Germany & Austria-Hungary are open. Not one, but two decent empires. Send me your email if you're interested. It's my forum name @hotmail.

I am trying to find out the turn situation to see how fast a replacement can occur.

Other issue: I will eventually make an update regarding inanswered rule questions.

Guess what Cyc. Germany & Austria-Hungary are open. Not one, but two decent empires. Send me your email if you're interested. It's my forum name @hotmail.

I am trying to find out the turn situation to see how fast a replacement can occur.

Other issue: I will eventually make an update regarding inanswered rule questions.

Done! :D

Austria-Hungary has completed it's turn. Lots of reading done. BTW, I accidently clicked on a coal icon and the game crashed. Reloaded.

To whom do I email this to?

EDIT: Never mind. I see that it goes to Sully. I will send it to him.

EDIT2: Done!

Top Bottom