1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI Controlled Cars, or Your Right to Drive

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by illram, Dec 30, 2013.

1. bhsup

bhsup Deity

All you had to say was "I cannot find any examples." You don't have to dodge it and try to spin my question into a different area that I wasn't asking about.

2. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

The difference between driving and skydiving/skiing/bungee jumping is that with the latter, you're choosing to put yourself in a risky situation that only increases your own chance of injury. With driving, you're increasing the risk of harming yourself, but much more importantly you're increasing the risk of other vehicles and pedestrians being injured.

It's not about your right to drive, it's about everyone else having the right to go about their business without you significantly increasing their risk of injury.

3. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

No, I can't find any examples of where an AI car has hit a deer or jack-knifing big-rig. So it's fair to say that those either (A) aren't issues or (B) haven't been encountered yet. Personally, I'd be willing to wager that the car would hit the brakes in both situations quicker than I could ever hope too.

4. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Why do you think automating cars is going to make most of them disappear?

I take it you haven't actually skied. It is quite similar to operating a car. And in some ski resorts near NYC it is like operating your car on the Long Island expressway during rush hour.

There is a simple solution to not facing the extremely remote possibility that you will be killed while driving. Just don't do it anymore.

5. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

We've had GPS driving assist for a while now on tractors. There is no ''near future'' where computer controlled driving is going to near adequate for any sort of road conditions that are not incredibly clean and predictable. In fact, as Formy implies, removing the human check on control even in the most predictable driving possible by lulling them onto inattentiveness is dangerous. You have a fair bit of processing power that is well adjusted to spatial thinking in control of every vehicle now. Laws and punishment for distractions like using hands free devices are much better fruits here than wishful thinking that an automated highway is going to give one everything they want: to have the flexibility of individual rather than mass transit, to watch a movie, to yammer idiotically on the phone, and to save time my removing all those pesky peer citizens from the equation while possibly being programmed for a little in transit fellatio.

6. bhsup

bhsup Deity

It is about both. You all who keep saying it is person A endangering endangering person B is being disingenuous. You're purposely ignoring person A endangering themselves because you don't want to address how your position has to translate into behavior being banned across all aspects of society.

7. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Simply because automated interchanges would be much more efficient. As would computer controlled convoys of vehicles: all moving at the same speed, braking at the same time, and moving in synchronization. None of that pesky individual specific quirky reaction times and poor judgement, leading to bunching and pile-ups.

Mind you, I'm not familiar with the roads referred to, here. So, I'm really only guessing.

8. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Yes, it's quite similar in that you have a great hunk of metal around you and everyone else on the mountain. Right?

Did you even read what you replied to? It's not about removing the possibility that you're killed while driving. It's about reducing the risks of anyone else being injured by your driving.

9. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

@Farmboy.

Most of us already have considerable computational power in our cars managing our breaks, ensuring we don't lose traction, etc. Sure, we still drive. But we drive considerably better than we would otherwise drive.

10. Silurian

Silurian Deity

These are scenarios where an AI controlled vehicles may well be better than fully human.

If the deer cannot be avoided the AI could deploy airbags before impact.
    It would also be less likely to swerve and roll the vehicle.

If the deer can be avoided the car would talk to the oncoming vehicles to get out of the way break etc.

The jack-knifing arctic could talk to other vehicles in the same way so that they would automatically break, drive to avoid it or deploy airbags.

11. Formaldehyde

Ah. So in your vision of the future some mega-computer actually controls everything which is occurring. That it wouldn't even allow you to drive if there wasn't a vacancy in its traffic control algorithms.

Only you don't need a "great hunk of metal around you" to be killed by another skier doing 30 mph. "Right"?

Skiing accidents are probably more common that auto accidents, but someone is typically hurt.

12. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Well, if I had to hazard a guess, this will have huge capitalist support before it becomes truly ready. Think of all the profit to be made with sensitive electronics, maintenance, and most especially, data marketing. This concern will trump all others in final analysis.

13. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

It won't make cars disappear, but most traffic comes from: accidents, weaving, people speeding up and then breaking, changing lanes inefficiently, and just generally people being enormous dicks. Notably automation would take all of this out of the equation.

14. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Person A endangering themselves is their own responsibility and their own problem. It is not society's role to save people from themselves.

But when Person A's needless risky behaviour results in a significant increase in risk to 3rd parties, it is society's obligation to legislate against that behaviour.

15. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

Centralized control would have issues due to lag and the sheer complexity of the road network and user demands. So that's rather unlikely to ever happen.

It'll just be built into the cars at production. It might add a little to the sticker price. But the big story in cars like most consumer durables is falling real prices.

16. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

So... that's no legislation on seat-belts or motor-cycle helmets, then?

17. Formaldehyde

It predominately comes from so many vehicles being in the same area. It is basic queuing theory.

18. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I don't see how that logically follows at all.

I mean, it's true that higher traffic densities are associated with more accidents. But why computer control couldn't eliminate them, especially under these conditions, is beyond me.

19. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

About half of it, sure, although that stuff usually just cars moving slower, rather than the stop-and-go type traffic I'm talking about:

20. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

The great hunk of metal means there's a hell of a lot more momentum at the point of impact. This increases the force impacted upon the body of the person being crashed into. A skier doing 30mph is going to do a lot less damage than a car doing 30mph. As a result, I'd strongly suspect that while skiing accidents might be more common, the severity of an auto accident is generally much higher.