All aboard the hype train!

Who cares about the graphics really? I don't play Civ because it is pleasing on the eyes. What sort of systems and what kind of depth the game has is far more important to me. Civ VI doesn't look that bad anyway IMO.

This looks neat, in fact.

Looking at those graphics I feel the same way as when I saw Diablo 3 for the first time... Why do people insist in cutesy cartoony graphics for games that have no place for them?

I'm already anticipating for leaders to be all cartooney and unrealistic looking too.

It isn't really driven by aesthetics. It's a revenue driven decision. The more relaxed the system requirements are for a game the more accessible it is. They want to sell a bunch of copies of Civ 6, so it makes sense.

Looking at those graphics I feel the same way as when I saw Diablo 3 for the first time... Why do people insist in cutesy cartoony graphics for games that have no place for them?

I'm already anticipating for leaders to be all cartooney and unrealistic looking too.

It does look quite a bit better with lower saturation: http://i.imgur.com/LxnXZNg.jpg

Edit: reminds me (a lot) of the aesthetics of Settlers 7: http://d1vnh8mbrp67em.cloudfront.net/screenshot/image/7/9b/154517/00320988.jpg
G

It isn't really driven by aesthetics. It's a revenue driven decision. The more relaxed the system requirements are for a game the more accessible it is. They want to sell a bunch of copies of Civ 6, so it makes sense.

I don't know because there are some other people who will not buy it because of the graphics.

Link to Firaxis' reasoning behind the graphics?

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/11/11640726/civilization-6-vi-announcement-release-date

Civilization VI was built using a brand-new engine, and with that comes an overhauled visual style that gives it a much brighter and more detailed look than its predecessor. According to Shirk, though, the graphical changes aren’t purely cosmetic, they're functional as well. For instance, the AI characters are now more expressive, with more animation, making it easier to judge their mood and mindset just by looking at them. The different city tiles, meanwhile, are easier to differentiate now, so that you'll know what they are at a glance. "We didn’t want to do a visual overhaul if we didn’t have reasons to do it," says Shirk. "Everything needs to be more readable."

I can not understand why someone would call for grapgics in this game. The setting will not make it possible to create a realistic setting, because what is realistic? Would a look like Skyrim fit, or like Crysis? I think that a look for a tabletop like game can be cartoonish, because it is a simplyfied version of a possible reality that we play. Don't forget that the screenshots don't show any UI, so this will change the look additionally.

I can not understand why someone would call for grapgics in this game. The setting will not make it possible to create a realistic setting, because what is realistic? Would a look like Skyrim fit, or like Crysis? I think that a look for a tabletop like game can be cartoonish, because it is a simplyfied version of a possible reality that we play. Don't forget that the screenshots don't show any UI, so this will change the look additionally.

In fact, there has never been a "realistic" graphics in any of the Civ games.

People are entitled for their opinions. Personally, I see the aesthetics of a game as a reflection of the game's intended depth and/or gravitas. The trailer, with its booming music and sean beannery, has an epic, weighty feel that is not matched by the styling shown in the screenshots. So, for me anyways, it isn't so much that the style is 'bad,' but rather it does not match the tone of the series, nor our first introduction to the game via the trailer.

G

Translation: "It's cheaper and players will swallow it because it has fun colors".

Although for the sake of fairness I must say that cartoonish style may be easier to mod, though that doesn't make me happy personally.

While civilization never aimed for full on realism, they always had a certain aesthetic style that fit the tone of its games very well (serious and quasi-realistic, but not too much so). The problem here is that this is a step in the wrong direction. It doesn't look like a civ game. There's a certain level of realism that adds seriousness to the game and now it looks like they're aiming for a less serious tone here.

Perhaps, but if the goal is to grow the overall customer base, then adding indirect costs to playing the game doesn't help.

Well, probably most customer base upgraded their hardware after six years of waiting, anyways. Many other games/apps forced them to do so etc

My first impression is: not impressed by the graphics.

And really, at this point that is all that I can judge, because that's immediately visible to the eye. Without getting into specifics as to how the mechanics work, it's pointless for me to base my expectations on speculation. So for now, underwhelmed. We will see how it plays out, I guess, because there's no way I can't not mod Civ 6!

Firaxis explained that these cartoonish graphics help users with low-end PCs. Civ V had some crashing problems and long waiting times, so they try to create a game that is less unstable by these more simple graphics.

Sounds like Blizzard's philosophy for World of Warcraft. They have an explicit goal to support low-end PCs.

I don't have anything against "cartoonish " graphics, I take this as people making loud noise over spoiled milk, when there can be dozen potential bigger problems.

Besides game looks nice, nothing fancy but nice and my sister is probably going to celebrate, if what Firaxis says is true and people with low-end pc can run it (not just her but majority of Civ fan base, )

It's easy to explain. Cartoonish art don't help with immersion if you're up to relive history, or seek commitment with historical representation, which is one of the main selling points of this game. The Age of Empires community had the same reaction when they were presented to cartoonish graphics, and I'm sure the fans of the Total War series would as well.

In a way, games have a personality and the art is supposed to portrait it, or it feels out of character. Diablo 3's graphics being described as "colorful" when the series was known to be dreadful is an example. Civilization is known to be about representing human history and complex struggles, but cartoonish styles normally evoke child stories and fantasy. Not the thing fans want to imagine when they contemplate their empire.

There are more examples out there that also involves the music or writing of the game. Just imagine how out of character it feels to see a video of someone playing civ5 with metal playing in the background. All while screaming "Hell yeah, **** that Ghandi! Who has the nukes now?!!".

But then, if you care less about immersion than about, say, balance, that's indeed a low priority.

For those who are having a 'color issue', look at Gazebo's post with the link to lower saturation.

Its not half bad really.

For those who don't think the graphics are bad, wait until they reveal the leaders.

I'll eat my hat if they don't look closer to the cartoonish and silly style like they did in Civ Rev than the civ 5 style.

It seems like my dreams of seeing next-gen leader scenes that push the envelope even further has been flushed down the toilet...

Not a fan of the graphics, I like my Civ gritty. The pics so far makes it look more like an app for my phone. I hope these are just early concepts.

Top Bottom