All aboard the hype train!

For those who don't think the graphics are bad, wait until they reveal the leaders.

I'll eat my hat if they don't look closer to the cartoonish and silly style like they did in Civ Rev than the civ 5 style.

It seems like my dreams of seeing next-gen leader scenes that push the envelope even further has been flushed down the toilet...
Civ Rev was such an abomination. Civ was always so realistic. Look at that cartoony sh*t:

Oh wait... That's Civ 4.

Also the screenshot are pretty zoomed in. Never played CIV 5 this zoomed in. But i just couldn't play Civ 5 without all the icons on, because the representation was bad. With new color code district and distinctive unit models you will so much more overview farther zoomed out.

Civ Rev was such an abomination. Civ was always so realistic. Look at that cartoony sh*t:

Oh wait... That's Civ 4.

Also the screenshot are pretty zoomed in. Never played CIV 5 this zoomed in. But i just couldn't play Civ 5 without all the icons on, because the representation was bad. With new color code district and distinctive unit models you will so much more overview farther zoomed out.

Civ V was not realistic, either. Just think about it.

If it improves performance enough it would be fantastic - I play on lowest settings on a work laptop while travelling, so late game can get extremely sluggish. It would be fantastic if playing beyond industrial era on a wide domination game didn't force me into the strategic view on a standard map.

If it improves performance enough it would be fantastic - I play on lowest settings on a work laptop while travelling, so late game can get extremely sluggish. It would be fantastic if playing beyond industrial era on a wide domination game didn't force me into the strategic view on a standard map.

Yeah that's the rub for game studios. Shiny insane graphics does put a ceiling on total potential revenue, but it can also hurt revenue if they aren't impressive enough to market.

Yeah that's the rub for game studios. Shiny insane graphics does put a ceiling on total potential revenue, but it can also hurt revenue if they aren't impressive enough to market.

True - which is why I guess a cartoony approach can work. Lower polygon counts and simpler textures for the built in crap graphics cards to handle.

All in all, I'll turn down saturation and be happy that I don't have to switch to the strategic view to be able to select units and issue orders.

Indeed the cartoonish style is troubling in regards to whether or not they intend to further simplify the mechanics and UI. Their explanation for "low resource demand" is kinda crappy [edit: holy moley, so many smiley faces for such a tame -now edited- word!] as far as I'm concerned. Civ 5 is so demanding because it's badly programmed and on a very old engine that didn't have a lot of room for performance improvement, plus that Firaxis can't optimize a game to save their lives. Even so, people with low specs could always use the strategic view that was perfectly functional and made playing on bad machines very feasible, so I don't see the need to decrease the graphical fidelity. Speaking about the engine, I hope it's 64 bit and we'll finally get bigger maps because they always tend to feel crowded as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention the better optimization and better resource usage that come with a 64-bit engine.

That being said, I'm fairly certain the AI will still be fairly stupid and nowhere near to what CBP achieved, and considering Firaxis' history regarding diplomatic AI, I am even less optimistic. I could only hope that they'd take notes from Paradox games as CBP did to a certain extent, but I'm not holding my breath.

But if there is one thing that I really want is to please, PLEASE get rid of the global happiness! That was perhaps one of the worst decisions they could have made alongside the severely decreased information available to the player compared to Civ 4. This is also one of the main reasons CBP is so damn good imho.

From their interview I see that they really want to not have a standard meta, but is that really avoidable? There's always gonna be a most optimum path in a certain circumstance and I'm afraid that their approach will be to slash into the player freedom so that we'll be railroaded to certain paths. I would not like this approach, the best solution would be imho to make civs as distinct as possible, with unique traits that have as much influence as they can. That way you'll not be tempted to play with France in the same way you'd with Germany, for example.

That being said, I'm curios and cautiously excited for the game but I'm NOT going to pre-order [please don't, they don't even give pre-order bonuses of any kind!] and I WILL wait on it. I remember how utterly bored each session of Vanilla Civ 5 was before the expansions [and mods] and I really don't trust them that they won't oversimplify the BNW features that they claim Civ 6 will keep on launch. Not to mention the tons of civilization DLCs that are bound to come, and in the end I'll perhaps end up buying it on a sale just like I did with vanilla Civ V. It's not like CBP isn't keeping me entertained.

Civ Rev was such an abomination. Civ was always so realistic. Look at that cartoony sh*t: Oh wait... That's Civ 4.
Civ 4 was released in the middle of the 2000s... Realistic in-game faces were still difficult to make back then (most pcs couldn't handle it). Cartooney was basically the only option.

Rev, and now Civ 6, were intended design choices. It's different. This time around they have the technology to do better, but choose not to.

I kind of agree with those who say that people are overreacting a bit on the graphics. I'm not impressed by the screenshots either, but like Gazebo say, simply by toning down the saturation (a lot!), things get too look much better.

Spoiler :

I'm not impressed by the trees, and yes the units do look too big, but I can easily live with this if just colours are toned down compared to what they show us now.

This time around they have the technology to do better, but choose not to.

Just because someone is not catering to your very specific tastes does not mean that they're faltering. They've explained their art decision and it makes sense, and if you dislike what they're doing, you're more than welcome to not buy their game.

@kaspergm The reason I'm going at it is not because of the actual map (a color correction and some texture tweaking is enough to make it ok), it's because I'm antecipating what the leaders will look like. I can still be pleasantly surprised but I'm not expecting it to happen.

I said before in another thread that one of my biggest things to look for in civ 6 would be leader scenes that push the envelope even further and I believe they already said that not to be the case, and that they're going for a more "expressive" (cartooney) style.

@kaspergm The reason I'm going at it is not because of the actual map (a color correction and some texture tweaking is enough to make it ok), it's because I'm antecipating what the leaders will look like. I can still be pleasantly surprised but I'm not expecting it to happen.

I said before in another thread that one of my biggest things to look for in civ 6 would be leader scenes that push the envelope even further and I believe they already said that not to be the case, and that they're going for a more "expressive" (cartooney) style.
Ok, I respect that tastes differ, but for me, leader scenes are quite unimportant. I use less than 1 % of the game time to actually look at the leader scenes, so while I like them to be well done (as was the case in Civ5), that's not a breaking point for me.

What do people think about 64 bit? For me it is pretty important feature. Seems that Civ6 is being designed to run on windows tablets as well as PCs. That means that 64 bit is still a possibility isn't it?

If this release isn't a 64bit executable then that to me is a serious mistake.

The graphics are a complete let down. Civ 5 was absolutely beautiful on launch, one of the best looking games I'd ever seen. Every other "realistic-looking" game was grey and brown, and Civ 5 managed to be bright and colorful without looking fake.

I don't get why you'd just throw all that away.

It's not an absolute deal breaker, but if it's comboed with any other colossal screw ups like ruining the music, or repeating all the mistakes they made with Civ V engine (no borderless mode, crap netcode, crap Linux mod support, I.E all the fundamental stuff that modders can't fix), then I won't be buying it.

I really don't have a problem with the graphics.

Since they said that there will be a varying degree of day to night color scheme that will tint the look as you go or can be set for one particular "time of day", I think that will allow you to literally set the saturation level as you go as well as being pretty cool. I will let it scroll day to night as I go most likely.
I've always wanted them to have a night time look where the city lights would glow as the day wore on.

I will buy and play regardless, especially if it means more control and features for the players and modders.

In this article: http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/11/s...i-debuts-this-fall-with-a-new-take-on-cities/

Local Happiness confirmed:

The happiness level will be focused on a city level, rather than on a global basis across your civilization.

Interesting take on AI:

The artificial intelligence of the computer-controlled players will be different as well. This time, the non-player A.I. will always have some kind of agenda that drives their behavior. You can’t really change someone’s agenda, such as Manifest Destiny. But you can change their attitude toward you very quickly if you invade them.

This means that diplomacy will be dynamic, changing as the ages evolve and as the leaders show their character, said Andrew Garrett, an A.I. expert, in an interview with GamesBeat.

“We have a system that has a historical agenda linked to a leader, but they also have random leaders, chosen game by game, that are hidden from the player,” Garrett said.

You can find out what the agenda of a particular leader is by spying or just understanding their behavior. If a leader is obsessed with Wonders, he or she will strive to out-build the other societies when it comes to creating wonders. If you challenge that leader in the Wonder race, you’ll likely come into conflict. You may even be able to set leaders against each other through careful observation. Civilization VI will have a new espionage system, but Firaxis isn’t describing it yet.

I think it looks wonderful, and everything they have said so far sounds fantastic to me.

Of course, the things they havent said could still be awful, and its possible that they can talk the talk but cant walk the walk when it comes to the parts theyve already said...

But I see no reason not to be optimistic. Its not like my whining is going to change it, so I might as well sit back and live life until it comes out.

Top Bottom