All leader portraits

What I actually see in this picture is a lot of "ninetys/fortyfives" in the upper background ( the middle part is actually looking like a checkerboard pattern ) which lends to the conclusion that it is some artificial ( not natural ) structure in the background.

You mean like, perhaps, windows?

Spoiler :
I personally still think this statue of Osman I is the real-life picture that is the closest match to C5, just from a slightly different PoV:

Spoiler :

(Depending on how I look at C5, I can either see a man in a turban looking right, or a man on a horse looking left)

And maybe I'm trying too hard here, but in this pic you can see that around the statue are apartment windows:

Spoiler :

If we imagine moving the camera to get the angle that matches C5, those windows could end up behind the statue - could that be the cause of the dark blobs you can see in the background of C5? (esp. top right corner)

Also, of course, the Ottomans fit the alphabet pattern, and BEST PROOF YET the Ottomans have featured in Ed Beach's board games so he's clearly a massive fan! :crazyeye:

I'll shut up about this theory after this, but I will be back to say I told you so when we see the original picture!

That would also mean B5 is a previous civ, which I don't think any of our guesses so far are.

I've been looking everywhere and each of the articles I read mentioned simply that there would be 18 civilizations in the base game, some of which are brand new.

None of the different sources I tried did specify an exact number for the civs that were never seen before:
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2016/06/14/e3-2016-settling-in-with-civilization-vi/212164/
http://www.gamezone.com/news/e3-2016-civilization-vi-3440560
http://www.millenium.org/civilizati...resentes-guide-faction-nation-pays-mtj-146050
https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/4o3q7d/18_civs_in_civ_6_base_game/

If someone has a link somewhere that specifies the actual number of new civs, I would be very glad if they would share it!

I've been looking everywhere and each of the articles I read mentioned simply that there would be 18 civilizations in the base game, some of which are brand new.

None of the different sources I tried did specify an exact number for the civs that were never seen before:
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2016/06/14/e3-2016-settling-in-with-civilization-vi/212164/
http://www.gamezone.com/news/e3-2016-civilization-vi-3440560
http://www.millenium.org/civilizati...resentes-guide-faction-nation-pays-mtj-146050
https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/4o3q7d/18_civs_in_civ_6_base_game/

If someone has a link somewhere that specifies the actual number of new civs, I would be very glad if they would share it!

It was a Livestream from E3. The Gamespot one maybe.

B5 could be Kublai Khan accidentally (and one would assume temporarily) attributed to the "Golden Horde." I can't find a perfect match for the photo but it looks so much like his portrait:

Spoiler :

Alternatively, B5 could be Batu Khan wearing clothes similar to the Kublai Khan picture, OR we have another Isabella of Spain/Portugal situation where the photo is supposed to be Batu but is actually Kublai

I still think it was 4 and either c5 or e1 one is new, as well as b5.
I hope that C5 is Persia under Cyrus if that's not the case.

Soooooo...just rewatched E3 livestream of Civ6 from Gamespot and Ed did say that "some civilizations have never been covered before", with no mention of a specific number of such civs.
Roughly from 11:00 to 12:30, here: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/civilization-vi-developer-gameplay-preview-with-ed/2300-6432860/

I am more and more convinced that we never actually heard of a specific number for the new civs.
I'd like to be proven wrong, that would help with guessing the remaining pictures. If someone can find evidence that I might have missed, please do post it here.

I too don't recall hearing or reading of a specific number of new Civs, but I remember Ed's mention that some would be new in that video dnoisette linked. I can't pretend to have watched every video or read every article but how confident are we that this was ever said?

I still think its most likely that D5/E1 is meant to be 2 separate Leaders for Spain: Isabella the Catholic (with the wrong picture) and a Reconquista trait, and Philip II with a Counter-Reformation trait.

The same goes for B5, and since I see no way for that to be Greek, I assume its German. It is probably a Gothic Queen.

C5 is still our Mongolia/Ottoman/Persian leader that we can't identify, possibly because its already concept art.

I feel that B5 is Amalasuntha of the Ostrogoths. I have no real evidence except circumstantial. She is often depicted wearing a veil and crown. She ruled the Ostrogoths first as a regent and then outright. She was the daughter of Theodoric the Great. She felt very strongly about maintaining Roman culture. I feel that could tie into her Agenda. Just my 2 cents.

If they list Pericles as Hellenistic vs Greek, that would open up the alphabet a bit more for B5.

You mean “Hellenic” - “hellenistic” is an adjective more accurately rendered as “in the style of the Greeks” rather meaning “Greek” itself. Hence why the spread and adoption of aspects of Greek culture across thousands of miles and myriads of non Greek peoples is called Helenistic- because they are doing something or other in the style of the Greeks. :)

Itd be cool to see Greeks more rightfully called Hellenes, but I doubt it.

I feel that B5 is Amalasuntha of the Ostrogoths. I have no real evidence except circumstantial. She is often depicted wearing a veil and crown. She ruled the Ostrogoths first as a regent and then outright. She was the daughter of Theodoric the Great. She felt very strongly about maintaining Roman culture. I feel that could tie into her Agenda. Just my 2 cents.

Yes, I think this is the most likely. The Goths are about the only Civ that fits alphabetically that doesn't require alphabetical acrobatics (Golden Horde instead of the Mongols, thinking that Greece might be called the Hellenic League - I mean, really?) or assuming that the order has been messed up, and is actually kind of plausible.

I'd still be surprised - and I am quite surprised they would lead with a queen few people have heard of as opposed to Alaric - but everything else looks like an even bigger stretch to me.

Here is how I see it:
c5.png
red: white fez
blue: head, dark skin tone, facing us
green: wide white sleeves
orange: clasped hands, possibly a sword pommel
background: very geometrical pattern

On the whole I'd say Malinese or thereabouts.

It looks very much like in game concept art to me, which explains why we can't find a matching image.

But why put yet another European civ in the game? And at least to me the Goth feels like proto Germany and if Germany is already represented by an early leader, like Barbarossa, why have an even earlier representation of Germany in the game?

I love Germany as a country but I think Korea and Ghana would be note fitting and likely

But why put yet another European civ in the game? And at least to me the Goth feels like proto Germany and if Germany is already represented by an early leader, like Barbarossa, why have an even earlier representation of Germany in the game?

I love Germany as a country but I think Korea and Ghana would be note fitting and likely

Theodoric the Great's (Amalasuntha's father) domain at its greatest extent didn't actually include much of modern Germany:

I take your point about it being yet another European Civ. Personally, while I think the Goths would be a nice addition, I agree that there are other worthier candidates for inclusion in the base game.

It's just that literally none of those worthier candidates fit with the B5 picture and alphabetical order any more than the Goths do. Korea would be far more expected but come on, imagining that they will be called anything other than Korea is wishful thinking.

Theodoric the Great's (Amalasuntha's father) domain at its greatest extent didn't actually include much of modern Germany:

I take your point about it being yet another European Civ. Personally, while I think the Goths would be a nice addition, I agree that there are other worthier candidates for inclusion in the base game.

It's just that literally none of those worthier candidates fit with the B5 picture and alphabetical order any more than the Goths do.

Exactly. Other options require tortured logic and/or defiance of Occam's Razor.

It's just that literally none of those worthier candidates fit with the B5 picture and alphabetical order any more than the Goths do. Korea would be far more expected but come on, imagining that they will be called anything other than Korea is wishful thinking.

Uh, Ghana still fits B5

But why put yet another European civ in the game?

What's wrong with European? Why it seem that every european in the forum hates european now?

Uh, Ghana still fits B5

Ghana fits alphabetically, but I really don't see how it fits the picture. Not being funny but that's clearly not a black person in the image, and I think there is enough colour there to be quite confident we're not dealing with an unpainted marble or stone statue.

I'm not ruling anyone out at this stage (not even Tamar :mischief: ) and I'm not about to say the Goths deserve to be in more than Ghana. But if the image is going to have any relevance to the leader, I think anyone who looks at B5 and sees a Ghanaian is fooling themselves.

Top Bottom