Alternative Component Names for VP

I made repositories for mods I (we) created from scratch. Rest of mods were modified and it is easier for me to just open them in notepad. I will think of it later probably.

I did repositories for TO and CSL for now. It takes some time to move all files to github.

@ProCatGamer From what you said I compiled such list:
Code:
Majapahit
Daha
Kahuripan
Tuban
Pajang
Lumajang
Madura
Bedahulu
Jambi
Darmmacraya
Lamuri
Samudra
Barus
Panai
Palembang
Tumasik
Pahang
Kalanten
Keda
Banja
Sampit
Katingan
Berune
Tanjung Kutei
Sukadana
Galuh
Kalapa
Pakuan
Makassar
Luwu
Maloko
Hutan Kadali
Wandan
Ambwan
Ambwan
Batavia
Hujung Galuh
Kampung Medan
Bandoeng
Kabalan
Mataram
Sugeneb
Lampung
Dungun
Banggawi
Mataram
Pekan
Verify it, and sort out please. After that I will push it to the mod.

Revised Korean one.
Cities by population in 1454 (4 years after Sejong's reign) (Yes, I found the data.)
Spoiler :
Code:
Hanseong
Pyongyang
Kaesong
Gongju
Seongju
Gyeongju
Hamhung
Kilju
Anju
Yonghung
Gimhae
Andong
Jinju
Chungju
Haeju
Miryang
Cheongju
Pyongsan
Sangju
Hongju
Jeonju
Jeongju
Hwangju
Changwon
Suwon
Namwon
Gangneung
Pukchong
Daegu
Kanggye
Mujin
Ulsan
Naju
Jeju
Kyongsong
Anbyon
Icheon
Wonju
Ganghwa
Gwangju
Yongbyon
Yangju
Suncheon
Chuncheon
Uiju
Dongnae
Incheon
Anseong

v0.15.1 with 3 new (Greece, Inca and Ethiopia) and one revised nation (Korea).

Last edited:
I precisely only took some of the First French Empire that are no longer in France.
+ Belgium was part of France from 1789 to 1830, mostly the same for Luxembourg.
+Turin was part of France from 1802 to 1814.
+The other were conquered after 1804, but annexed. They were really considered by Napoléan as part of France (to the contrary to the other territories he just kept as "forced allies").

Reference: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/Europe_1812_map_en.png

It would be strage if Napoleon said: "I only conquered them, but nah, I don't want them to be part of France."
Just looking on the map - Hell, that's nice piece of land he conquered or subjugated. He had very high ambitions.

It depends on what type of list you're looking for. If you want the city list to be more related to the leader, then it is indeed true that the list I made is lacking a big chunk of important cities. If you want the list to be more "culture-related" (with all the ambiguity such a word brings), then I think that the list I proposed is a good representation (with a focus on 1812 metropolitan France, but all the cities mentionned are still relevant nowadays).

So, in the end, there are three questions related to this list :
- Is this list leader-oriented or "culture-oriented" ? => Do Napoleon's conquests count in it ?
- Is this list center-oriented or not => Do we put colony names ? (it would overlap with America, Canada, Australia and such)
- Is this list culture-inclusive or not => Do we put Ajaccio, Strasbourg, Nantes and other 'controversial' French cities (by 'controversial', I mean that their 'culture' has been a source of debates)...
=> All of this relate to a more general question : Is a civ in Civ V a state or a culture (and, as I said, 'culture' is a ambiguous term, but I hope you understand what I mean) ?

Last edited:
I think we should focus on leader, his conquests, his ambitions. So no-culture yes-leader. You can include some important colonies and those "controversial". Controversial or not they were part of the empire, right?

Every other nation we do is based on leader, but f.e. current english and spanish list (not revised) does not contain colonies. Same for Germany. I didn't check Portugal or Russia. This could change.

I think we should focus on leader, his conquests, his ambitions. So no-culture yes-leader. You can include some important colonies and those "controversial". Controversial or not they were part of the empire, right?

Every other nation we do is based on leader, but f.e. current english and spanish list (not revised) does not contain colonies. Same for Germany. I didn't check Portugal or Russia. This could change.

In that case, here is a new version, with added conquered cities in the order they were added to the Empire of France + Ajaccio, Napoléon-sur-Yon (for the meme) and Portoferraio (main city of the Principality of Elba, which lasted around one year and was the state given to Napoleon after his defeat against the Sixth Coalition).
There are now 65 cities in total. Feel free to had more if you want @Moi Magnus.

Code:
Paris
Lyon
Marseille
Bordeaux
Chartres
Orléans
Nantes
Grenoble
Toulouse
Lille
Verdun
Avignon
Versailles
La Rochelle
Ajaccio
Strasbourg
Dijon
Angers
Nancy
Metz
Poitiers
Saint-Etienne
Rennes
Dunkerque
Auxerre
Pau
Carcassonne
Bouges
Montpellier
Boulogne
Amiens
Bayonne
Nice
Caen
Le Havre
Calais
Bourges
Nîmes
Toulon
Troyes
Brest
Cherbourg
Valence
Besançon
Reims
Blois
Nîmes
Arras
Napoléon-sur-Yon
Bruxelles
Cologne
Luxembourg
Gênes
Florence
Rome
Trieste
Amsterdam
Münster
Aix-la-Chapelle
Brême
Barcelone
Mayence
Turin
Portoferraio

@Hinin Thank you. It's 63 names because you posted 64 and Nimes is twice.

v0.16 with France added.

Silly me... :crazyeye:
Happy to be of some use !

Kudos to the master @sukritact for another way of randomizing names, this one might be the better choice. I'm sure you're already familiar with his other great mods.
This mod randomises your city names, the same way civ 6 does. Weighted randomisation. So instead of a complete randomisation where your second city's name might end up being an unknown village in the middle of nowhere, you will get one of the more important cities near the top of your list: though you won't know which.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/sukritacts-civ-vi-style-city-names.607375/

Spoiler :

Code:
-- Civ 6 Style City Names
-- Core Functions
--=======================================================================================================================
-- Functions
--=======================================================================================================================
-- GetRandom
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
function GetRandom(lower, upper)
    return Game.Rand((upper + 1) - lower, "") + lower
end
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Shuffle
local function Shuffle(t)
  local n = #t -- gets the length of the table
  while n > 1 do -- only run if the table has more than 1 element
    local k = math.random(1,n) -- get a random number
    t[n], t[k] = t[k], t[n]
    n = n - 1
 end
 return t
end
-- CollectCityNames
-- This function compiles a list of all city names possible based off existing civs in the game
-- It is possible to exclude a specific player's cities.
function CollectCityNames(iPlayerToExclude)

if not(iPlayerToExclude) then iPlayerToExclude = -1 end
    local tPlayerNames = {}
    local tCityNames = {}

for iPlayer, pPlayer in pairs(Players) do

if iPlayer ~= iPlayerToExclude and not(pPlayer:IsMinorCiv()) and not(pPlayer:IsBarbarian()) then

tPlayerNames[iPlayer] = {}
            if GameInfo.Civilizations[pPlayer:GetCivilizationType()] then
                local sCivType = GameInfo.Civilizations[pPlayer:GetCivilizationType()].Type
                local sQuery = "CivilizationType = '" .. sCivType .. "'"

for tRow in GameInfo.Civilization_CityNames(sQuery) do
                     table.insert(tCityNames, tRow.CityName)
                     table.insert(tPlayerNames[iPlayer], tRow.CityName)
                end
            end
        end
    end

local tShuffledNames = {}
    while #tShuffledNames < #tCityNames do

if tPlayerNames[iPlayer] and #tPlayerNames[iPlayer] > 0 then
                table.insert(tShuffledNames, Locale.ConvertTextKey(tPlayerNames[iPlayer][#tPlayerNames[iPlayer]]))
                tPlayerNames[iPlayer][#tPlayerNames[iPlayer]] = nil
            end

end    
    end

return tShuffledNames
end
-- GrabRandomName_Weighted
function GrabRandomName_Weighted(tCityNames)

local iEligible = 5 -- How many of the top unused names are eligible?
    local iRemaining = #tCityNames - tCityNames.Used
    if iEligible > iRemaining then iEligible = iRemaining end

local tPool = {}

for iKey, tName in ipairs(tCityNames) do
        if not(tName.Used) then
            for iNum = 1, iEligible do
                table.insert(tPool, iKey)
            end
            iEligible = iEligible - 1
        end
        if iEligible < 1 then break end
    end

local iFinalKey = tPool[GetRandom(1, #tPool)]

return iFinalKey
end
-- CompileNameList
function CompileNameList(iPlayer)

local pPlayer = Players[iPlayer]
    local sCivType = GameInfo.Civilizations[pPlayer:GetCivilizationType()].Type
    print(sCivType)
    local sQuery = "CivilizationType = '" .. sCivType .. "'"

local tCityNames = {}
    tCityNames.Used = 1

for tRow in GameInfo.Civilization_CityNames(sQuery) do
        table.insert(tCityNames,
            {
                Name = tRow.CityName,
                Used = false,
            }
        )
    end

-- The Capital ALWAYS comes first
    pPlayer:AddCityName(Locale.ConvertTextKey(tCityNames[1].Name))
    tCityNames[1].Used = true

-- Then keep adding cities while there are more cities to add.
    while tCityNames.Used < #tCityNames do

local iKey = GrabRandomName_Weighted(tCityNames)
        local sName = Locale.ConvertTextKey(tCityNames[iKey].Name)

tCityNames[iKey].Used = true
        pPlayer:AddCityName(sName)

tCityNames.Used = tCityNames.Used + 1
    end

-- Now add ALL THE CITIES (foreign)
    for iNum, sCity in ipairs(g_tShuffledNames) do
        pPlayer:AddCityName(sCity)
    end

end
-- Initialise
    if pPlayer:IsEverAlive() and not(pPlayer:IsMinorCiv()) and not(pPlayer:IsBarbarian()) then
        if pPlayer:GetNumCityNames() < 0 then
            print("City Lists have already been randomised: Aborting")
            return
        end
    end
end

print("Randomising City Lists")
g_tShuffledNames = CollectCityNames()

if pPlayer:IsEverAlive() and not(pPlayer:IsMinorCiv()) and not(pPlayer:IsBarbarian()) then
        CompileNameList(iPlayer)
    end
end

Not sure how you're planning on handling Hawaii/Polynesia, but here's a Kamehameha-based list:
Spoiler Kamehameha List (26 + capital) :

Kailua
Honolulu
Lāhainā
Hilo
Waikīkī
Waipahu
Lahaina
Kaneohe
Wailuku
Halawa
Waipio
ʻEwa
Wahiawa
Kaunakakai
Olowalu
Lihue
Nānākuli
Wailea
Waimea
Māili
Makaha
Laie
He’eia
Honokōhau
Hanalei
Kalaupapa
Keaau

I updated the mod to v0.17 adding some new city lists up to Kamehameha.
City lists still missing:
Code:
Arabia, Austria (soon), Carthage, Celts, Babilon, Morocco, Netherlands (soon), Persia, Rome, Sweden (soon) and Venice.
All leader names verified.
Some small fixes.

@FoxOfWar I know your are Finnish but could you help me with Swedish list?

Attachments

• (text) Alternative Component Names for VP (v 1).zip
    54.4 KB · Views: 100
I've created Persian list based on Cyrus, Cambysos and Darius conquers. Where I found I switched city names to old persian versions.
Code:
Pārsa
Pāθra-gadā
Bābirush
Hagmatāna
Karmana
Shush
Arbela
Tarsisi
Zaranka
Samarqand
Turuspa
Sadrakarta
Sparda
Arauvati
Damashq
Sur
Pura
Bakhtrish
Pushkalavati
Phra
Artakoana
Drepsa
Merv
Halicarnassus
Dascylium
Ganzak
Spahān
Rhaga
Miletus
Susiya
Xanthos
Hecatompylos
Cyropolis
Comana
Celaenae
Rhambacia
Mazaka
Hariva
Anshan
Stakhr
Gordion
Lygos
Pella
Kyrene
Pattala
Sindomana
Taxila
Sinope
Trapezous
Pelousion
Memphis
Thebai
Elephantine
Ammonion
Salamis
I used this map as help.
@pineappledan Any thoughts?
Available along with Sweden, Austrian, Iroquois and Dutch update.
I also expanded American list and di few minor fixes.
v0.18 available.

Attachments

61.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
0.19 released:
Code:
Vienna --> Wien
All byzantine city names reworked to greek pronounciation (during theodora reign coptic greek was used)
All Ottoman names revised and renamed to ottoman or turkish
Fixed Damascus names for some civs
Added Venice
Added Rome.
I have problem with "The Great" suffix which still shows up in diplomacy screen for example: "Süleyman-i Evvel The Great". How to get rid of it? Anyone knows?

Attachments

62.2 KB · Views: 155
Umm, okay, here goes:
Spoiler Persia city list review :

1. Generally, cities that aren't ethnically Iranian/Median/Elamite probably shouldn't be included. Cities like Halicarnassus (Greek), Sparda (Lydian), etc? In the game, these are functionally cities that other civs have that you conquer. So, if Greece settles Halicarnassus and you conquer it, then you have it. It doesn't seem to fit my concept of how the city list is supposed to work if the cities don't ethnically or culturally belong to the civ in question. I guess I don't agree that order of conquest is the best method to get the city list *shrug*
  2. You seem to be working off of old persian mostly. If that's the case, Susa, which you have as Shush, the modern Iranian town near the old city ruins, should be named Çūšā
  3. Why is Karmana, a minor city of no importance, 5th on the list, as opposed to Bakhtri, or some other city of greater importance. This goes back to that quibble about how the order and which cities were chosen for the list, you're going to get some very unimportant cities which just happened to be places where a very large battle took place, and not much else.

Regarding a city list for carthage, that sounds like a fun little pet project for me. I could try to do one.

@pineappledan I just took prepared list for Cyrus II and expanded it for Darius and his predecessor. I think the problem of native/non-native cities in this region is that we have ovrerlapping civs like Babylon, Assyria, Persia, Macedonia, Egypt, Ottomans, Byzantine, Rome and each one had f.e. Jerusalem in its borders (maybe except Egypt). I think we should include conquest of the leader to not to punish him. With your point of view Persia should have only small part of south Iran territory and nothing more. One thing and only one that concerns me is when there will be Jerusalem CS on the map and Persia or Assyria found Yerushalaim which is exactly same city but translated. But such situations would be rare. I would rather cut the list delicately to most important cities, but not totally restrictive to one region.

Could you check and correct at least some translations for current civs?

For the order I didn't change much. When I did assyrian or polish list I prepared it for few days. It is very time consuming for person not knowing much about the region or detailed history. If you have ideas for sorting things out Im open for suggestions. I will appreciate any help.

And what about ethnic region of America? They were true settlers at someones lands.

With carthage the real problem is that when Dido ruled it was only small colony in africa and it expanded seriously around half century later. Its somewhat problematic.

Last edited:
And what about ethnic region of America? They were true settlers at someones lands.
Yes, but they ethnically replaced the native population. A European example would be Twangste (Old Prussian) ==> Königsberg (German) ==> Kaliningrad (Russian)
With your point of view Persia should have only small part of south Iran territory and nothing more.
No, because colonies count, or cities with no other significant attestations like keništa.
If it were me, I would expand the definition of Persian beyond the Acheimenids to be more ethnographic, including successor states and ethnically similar peoples on the list.
Examples:
  • Parthian (Kōmiš, Nisa, Arshak)
  • Sassanid (Parsa-staxra, Ctesiphon)
  • Saka (Sigal, Sakastan)
  • Azerbaijani/Shirvanshah (Baku, Shirvān)
  • Safavid (Tabriz, Qazvin), etc.
With carthage the real problem is that when Dido ruled it was only small colony in africa and it expanded seriously around half century later. Its somewhat problematic.
Well, I think at this point I've demonstrated that if you gave me control of a city list I would probably focus less on the ruler than you do, but in a case like Dido, who would have considered herself Phoenician, rather than Carthaginian, your two options are to either entirely reorient Carthage to be Phoenicia, or to not focus on Dido's life. Instead, I would focus on a sequence of Carthaginian colonial and imperial expansions.

The thing I'm most excited about, more than messing with the city selection and order, is re-working the Carthage city list so it doesn't use the Latin names, and uses an approximation of Punic instead:
upload_2019-5-16_8-47-4.png
== TšDHTRQ == QRTHDšT == Qart-Hadasht == Carthage
LLB'M == Liliybaeum
'GDR == Gadir == Gades

The big question is what do you do with Utique, and other Phoenician colonies which predate Carthage? Utique is only 40km away from Carthage and later became an ally/client of Carthage, but had enough autonomy that it brokered its own peace deal from Carthage much earlier and escaped destruction.

Last edited:
Heh first thing about punic. We both agree that using native lang from that period is very good but remember that leaving it that way (qrthdsht) is near hardcore. The same you could do with neo-assyrian (damsacus = tmshq) and probably old persian and babylonian. I thing we should use punic transliterations of spoken lang instead of written. Just for user friendlyness.

So what you suggest is keeping only native cities. But what about Rome or Byzantine f.e.? Rome was so big country that stripping it to Italian peninsula would be a massacre. It was conglomerate of cultures with uts center in Rome.

I am eager to try your idea but without your help I cannot guarantee implementing it. Lately I made Oktavian Rome but I have no idea how to cut it.

Last edited:
I did some revision for America and I think it is ready. I looked at Assyria and Austria and really have no idea what can be trimmed. For Austria, should we leave Hungary, Chech, Silesia? There were not austrian lands by ethnicity, but the were rulled for years... Your point of view is difficult to assess.

Top Bottom