TMKY
RšGNY
KLST
ZM
Rš'DR

Last edited:
Code:
'YGLGLT
This is the best :p. I would choose first list.
What about punic ttanliteration with vocals? Latinized names seems to be not in place somehow.

This is the best :p. I would choose first list.
Igilgili. The Carthaginians often just transcribed Berber or Numidian place names into their script, and it results in some funny ones.
It's your mod, so it's your call.

I would be happy if you were contributor. I sent you invitation on github.

I don't think letter "é" in "Cancuén" is shown in city banner.
Is "The" needed in "The Quechua"? I would leave only Quechua. What is the difference from Tawantisuyu?

I don't think letter "é" in "Cancuén" is shown in city banner.
I didn't write up the mayan city names; shall I just change it to Cancuen?
Is "The" needed in "The Quechua"? I would leave only Quechua. What is the difference from Tawantisuyu?
The original TXT_KEY_CIV_INCA_SHORT_DESC is "The Inca", but the actual term used by Quechua speakers for 'people' is 'Nunakuna', So I will change it to that.
Tawantinsuyu literally means "The Four Directions", as in the 4 cardinal directions which the empire spans. It's as close to a word for "The Incan Empire" as there is.

In that case, here is a new version, with added conquered cities in the order they were added to the Empire of France + Ajaccio, Napoléon-sur-Yon (for the meme) and Portoferraio (main city of the Principality of Elba, which lasted around one year and was the state given to Napoleon after his defeat against the Sixth Coalition).
There are now 65 cities in total. Feel free to had more if you want @Moi Magnus.

<list skipped>
Shouldn't a city name be associated to one base civ only (ignoring Attila shenanigans)? The presence of Amsterdam/Rome/Barcelone/... in this list could make things confusing.

Or does the game auto-skip a name if already present? Even so, there would still be issues with Barcelone vs Barcelona.

Shouldn't a city name be associated to one base civ only (ignoring Attila shenanigans)? The presence of Amsterdam/Rome/Barcelone/... in this list could make things confusing.

Or does the game auto-skip a name if already present? Even so, there would still be issues with Barcelone vs Barcelona.

It's a valid concern, and one I had previously (hence my long post on the subject just above the one you quoted), but I was told to focus more on the "leader-side" of things, and, aside from some negligible cases (like Napoléon-sur-Yon, which, after research, should be named Napoléon-Vendée, for it was its actual name during the First Empire), no new city has been created, all new cities were conquered.

It is basically a matter of how we see the focus of the mod : should we focus on the culture (ex. : the Persian/Iranian debate can affect which cities can be used, since the Persians different from the Medes, which they conquered), on empires (in the case of Persia, can we add Gaza, a very important city-fortress at the time ?) or on leaders ?

A good example of how such an approach could affect a city list is how the Greek city list could evolve depending on its leader : when using the Macedon mod, Pericles leads Greece, and has the "Delian League" UA. Should Sparta, which became the most important adversary of the Delian League in the end, be included in Pericles city list ?

All in all, its not a simple situation, for, even though @adan_eslavo seems to have taken a more "leader-focused" approach, it can, as you said, create strange situations where the same city can be founded several times with only minor name differences.

I realize that my answer is already quite long for something that isn't that important in the end, but giving a simple answer isn't easy on that matter...

Last edited:
This ignores, of course, that the exact same city by different names already exists in civ 5. Constantinople/Istanbul being the obvious example, but the worst offender is Carthage. Basically every city in the Carthaginian city-list is used by some other civ. Carthage founded the modern cities of Carthago Nova/Cartagena, Olissipona/Lisbon, Rabat, Tinga/Tangier, Carthage/Tunis, Oea/Tripoli, Ziz/Palermo, Neapolis, Mahon, Gades/Cadiz, Hadrumetum/Sousse, so they're pretty inescapable.

Not to mention that if someone adds another russian/japan/other leader then how to differentiate lists between them? Of course by adding leader specific names.

@Hinin you are right about Gaza. Thats how Ive created Assyrian list. Can you help us modifying some lists if you have some knowledge? Can you post some suggestions/corrections about france?

As I said earlier, look at Rome. They founded many cities around the world. But the real cultural center was Rome and italian peninsula. So do you want to cut rome by 90% of their territory? Imo no.

Hi folks! I post my latest version I did many days ago, but didn't publish. Sorry I couldn't finishe it, but such project is too much for one person especially if someone like me looses track of what is happening in civ5 community. I hope it will be continued by someone. I think it works. As far as I remember I've added some new nations to the list and only few are missing (7?). Good luck and have fun!

Attachments

• (text) Alternative Component Names for VP.zip
    69.1 KB · Views: 278
Upcoming updated Moroccan city list according to what I found about Saadi dynasty and european cities at those times:
Code:
Merraksh
Fas
Sala
Taza
Sijilmassa
Tarudant
Debdou
Taghazut
Tawdenni
Tuwat
Tetouan
Ar-Ribat
Meknas
Shafshawan
Asfi
Wejda
Agadir
Warzazat
Beni Mellal
Kharaybakat‎
El Kelaa des Srarhna
Qnīṭra
Fédala
Al-Uyun
Al-Breyja
Al-Ksar al-Kebir
Fquih ben Salah
Al-Naazur
Settat
Barashid‎
Al-Khamisat
Guelmim
Ad-Daakhilat‎
Ben Grir
Arfud
Timbuktu
Gao
Jenne
Kukiya
Walata
Tindirma
Agadez

And Celtic (Welsh) names from mod:
Code:
Ynys Wydryn
Duntagell
Eborakon
Isca
Caerleon
Dinas Maelor
Cwmbran
Caernarfon
Pentrellawr
Ynys Mon
Porthleven
Caer Sws
Powys
Brenin Tre
Caerphilly
Dumnonia
Llandudno
Aberystwyth
Penzance
Durobriwa
Dalriata
Lugdunum
Caer Gwynedd
Dineiddyn
Caer Ludd
Treorchy
Luxulyan
Bretwynn
Caerwent
Penryn
Dwrent
Ynys Wair
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll
Ynys Trebes
Balwynn
Caerdydd

Arabic city list based on Abbasids c.800:
Code:
 Madinat al-Salaam
Ar-Raqqah
Makkah al-Mukarramah
Madīnat an-Nabī
Samarra
Al-Mawṣil
Diyar Bakr
Al-Fusţāţ
Tabriz
Zaranj
Nishabur
Merv
Bukhara
Lashkargah
Al-Aḥsā
Basra
Sa'dah
Sanaa
Zabid
Janad
Al-Quds
Dimashqu
Homs
Hamah
Tarsus
Dabil
Tiflis
Gazzah
Al-Iskandariyya
Aswan
Al-Ahwaz
Hamadan
Isfahan
Rayy
Shiraz
Sari
Kirman
Herat
Qandahar
Ghazni
Kabul
Balkh
Samarqand
Isfijab
Talas
Multan
Manisura
Suhar
Benghazi
Ṭarābulus
Tunis
Āl-Qayrawān
Adin
Ar-Riyadh
Edessa
Ardabil
Tabriz
Arḍ ar-Rūm
Shushan
Maḍīq Hurmuz
Masqaṭ
Urganch
Bukhara
Spoiler Maps :

And last: Babylon
Code:
Babilim
Barsip
Nibbur
Upi
Uruk
Uru
Kishshatu
Larsam
Dilbat
Kutha
Der
Hit
Tikrit
Harran
Iritu
Ninua
Ashshur
Arrapha
Nasibina
Mari
Karkamisha
Tarsus
Hamath
Tadmor
Damashq
Gubla
Sidon
Sur
Yerushaláyim
Tema
Arvad
Anah
Jesus, Firaxis really screw the thing. They forgot that Mesopotamia was ruled over thousand of years and Old-Babilonia is not the same as Neo-Babilonia and they were divided by over 1500 years! Almost all cities Firaxis added were Old Babilonian and didn't survive to ruling of Nebhadnezzar II. Echh.

At least I managed to do those lists. This region was tough (Bizantine, Macedon with Greek language; Neo-Assyria and Neo-Babylon with Akkadian; Arabia with Arabic; Ottomans with Turkish; Persia with Persian and Roman Empire with Latin) - all rulers were conquering same regions over thousands of years. I never thought it will be such difficult to do this mod... But I managed do make them as close to native languages as possible, and all cities from their territories were included. Were those cities important? Were some cities missed by me or anyone alse?

After looooong time v0.21 is officially released!

All nations have their lists and now I ask you, your friends, anyone who know mentioned regions, nations, languages to verify my (and other guys) work. Some civs have low number of city names. The base is done. Pass the info. Notify civfanatics users. Spread the knowledge.

Now next part is city-states I start to rework.

Attachments

• (text) Alternative Component Names for VP (v0.21).zip
    73.7 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
I have never heard of anyone ever refer to China as 'Zhonggua' when speaking in English, and I'm Chinese myself.

'China' makes sense to me, or you can use Wu Zetian's dynasty name 'Zhou', or 'Southern Zhou' to differentiate from the earlier Zhou dynasty.

I was using native translation instead of english ones. "Zhongguo" means "China" in chinese transliteration, right? Like Polska instead of Poland etc. Of course I made each part of the mod optional, so anyone can adjust it to its need if it fell awkward. I personally play with all stuff enabled and it gives me some kind of "feeling".

But you may be right about using dynasty name :)

The goal was specifically to use endonyms if one is known (obviously for dead languages and such, we can't do much). China being comfortable with their English appellation is fine, but there are other cultures where the xenonyms are rooted in either ignorance (Inca), sweeping generalizations (Persia, Aztec), or outright bigotry (Iroquois). The prevailing theory for the name "China" is that it comes from the Qin. At the very least, if AE is changing everyone else, there could be a more accurate name for the empire represented by a Tang/Zhou empress.

IMO, I wouldn't name the civ meant to represent the length and breadth of China after a dynasty that lasted only 15 years... The compromise would be to call China "The Middle Kingdom", perhaps

Last edited:
I can add xenonyms which are much closer to those times. F.e. instead of Austria --> Habsburg Monarchy (xenonym), Habsburgermonarchie (endonym). For now we have only Endonyms.

Top Bottom