1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative Component Names for VP

Discussion in 'Mods Repository' started by adan_eslavo, Nov 18, 2018.

1. adan_eslavo

adan_eslavo Archmage of all Pixels Supporter

v0.22 on github:
    Code:
    - added endonyms for city-states;
    - added easier half of the adjectives-endonyms;
    - fixed few things (f.e. England, Lisbon, China);
    - added few cities to existing nations;
    - cleaned the code;
    @HungryForFood Can you look at city lists that you are in common and verify them, correct, add something? Chinese one is nice, but little too short imo. And you probably have access to better data, than I am. Current one was made by @Phalanx BR.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  2. adan_eslavo

Using current reserve made by @SeelingCat I expanded Iroquois city list from 31 to 55 names. New ones:
    Code:
    Onnontare
    Tiohero
    Canienga
    Osquake
    Teatontaloga
    Chittenango
    Hostayuntwa
    Ossewingo
    Tkanetota
    Touenho
    Ahaouete
    Deseroken
    Gannentaha
    Chenango
    Joneadih
    Onnahee
    Yoroonwago
    Sheshequin
    Annaooka
    Ingaren
    Unanauhan
    Tasqui
    Nyuchirhaan
    Contahnah

3. adan_eslavo

Aztec list expanded by 6 names:
    Code:
    Tenochtitlan
    Texcoco
    Tlacopan
    Chalco
    Azcapotzalco
    Xochimilco
    Acolman
    Citlaltepec
    Cuauhtitlan
    Cuauhuacan
    Petlacalco
    Toluca
    Huey Atotonilco
    Atotonilco
    Xilotepec
    Axocopan
    Hueyipochtlan
    Ocuillan
    Tlachco
    Cuauhnahuac
    Huaxtepec
    Tlalcozauhtitlan
    Quiyauhteopan
    Tlatlahquitepec
    Cuauhtochco
    Cuetlaxtlan
    Yohualtepec
    Coaixtlahuacan
    Acatlan
    Ahuatlan
    Cuauchinanco
    Huexotlan
    Ocuituco
    Tetela
    Xalapan
    Cempoalatl

4. adan_eslavo

Ok, today I have this "creativity mood", so another quick update: v0.23. Few corrections, few new adjectives (endonyms), but the important part is thing suggested by @HungryForFood/@pineappledan: xenonyms for civilizations. Now you can choose between:
    • original version
    • xenonyms:
    Spoiler Xenonyms :
    upload_2020-4-14_19-35-43.png

• endonyms:
    Spoiler Endonyms :
    upload_2020-4-14_19-36-22.png

As you can see, some adjectives (endonyms) are missing, but I'm working on that... Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Hinin and pineappledan like this.
  5. adan_eslavo

15 years, and such a big game is using it to represent country with tousands years of history :p

6. adan_eslavo

v0.24. Finally I got rid of those automatic preffixes and suffixes!

Attached Files:

7. adan_eslavo

@pineappledan I noticed Venice can now found cities, but they do not have any city list. I decided to add one, but serious part of it are islands. Do you have any knowledge about if there were some important cities on them? (islands are written with CAPS LOCK):
    Code:
    Venesia
    Olivolo
    Murano
    Poveglia
    Malamocco
    Albiola
    Mazzorbo
    Treporti
    Burano
    Ammiana
    Tercello
    Costanziaco
    Chioggia
    Sottomarina
    Brondolo
    Cavanella d’Adige
    Cavarzere
    Loreo
    Cittanova
    Jesolo
    Caorle
    Bibione
    Grado
    Molfancone
    Capodistria
    Trieste
    Parenzo
    Pola
    VEGLIA
    CHERSO
    LUSSINO
    ARBE
    PAGO
    PREMUDA
    I. LUNGA
    Zara
    PASMANO
    CORONATA
    Sebenico
    Trau
    ZURI
    Spalato
    SOLTA
    BRAZZA
    LESINA
    I. ISSA
    CURZOLA
    Castelnuovo
    Ragusa
    SABRIONCELLO
    CURZOLA
    LAGOSTA
    Durazzo

8. adan_eslavo

In the meanwhile Official Release of v1 version of the mod!
    Code:
    - added simplified venetian list for now
    - both (xenonym and endonym) civilization lists uses xonym adjectives. There are too many problem with sentences created using endonym adjectives with english nouns.
    Rewored main post, added official site for downloading. Enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Hinin, Eboq and thunderbird_14 like this.
  9. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

To my knowledge, Venice can only settle 3 additional cities using their GMerchants. I believe the cities in the current VP list are good and accurate, they are the names of Venice’s largest Latin and Dalmatian colonia.

i’m not aware of any circumstance that would require a city list larger than 4 names

10. adan_eslavo

Then this list will be fine. Thanks for the info. I didn't play Venice since rework.

11. WhimsicalCotton

WhimsicalCotton Chieftain

The Huns still steal city names?
    I've actually always used this mod alongside with the better Celt and Polynesian names but with this mod I can pretty much dump them.

Hinin and adan_eslavo like this.
  12. adan_eslavo

Good to know! I will add it then :)

13. adan_eslavo

Hinin likes this.
  14. Hinin

Hinin King

Hi @adan_eslavo. I've been working a little on the missing parts of the mod, and made an excel document about it. If you're interested, here is the color code for it :
    - green : already present in the modmod
    - orange : the xenonyms I've found and I'm fairly certain about
    - yellow : xenonyms with problems
    - red : missing xenonyms

Hope I can be helping in the next two weeks so that a more definitive version can be created. Powodzenia/bon courage pour la suite. :)

P.S. : Of course, all the xenonyms I've found can be talked about. Some are based on interpretation (ex. : Mingghan), others on personal translation work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    adan_eslavo likes this.
  15. adan_eslavo

I will wait then for your definitive version. Meanwhile I have much other work to care about, so there's no rush. Good to hear, that some more endonyms are found.

I resigned from the idea of endonyms adjectives, because they look awful ingame. In some texts they are totally breaking the style, because they are part of senteces written in english. I can add them, but they will be disabled by default.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  16. Hinin

Hinin King

Ok, so I'll do a list about all the elements present in the excel doc, so that we can discuss about the translations for some of them.

Spoiler Big list :

Spoiler Adjective :

I understand the problem, so I'll let things as they are. Except Ashshuru, Babiluu and amaZulu, which directly designate someone or something originating from a place (for Assyria or Babylon, it means litteraly "from Assur"/"from Babylon") or from a people ("from the Zulu people"), most of the others are quite problematic in themselves, so it's better to let them be for now.

Also, what could be the correct adjective for India ? @pineappledan ?

Spoiler Assyria :

- Siege Tower => Dintu : The only word I've found used to describe a tower that has an offensive/siege connotation.
    - Iron Chariot => Attartu : Attartu is the Akkadian word to specifically describe a war chariot (in opposition to a "civilian" chariot).
    - Royal Library => Daru Gerginakku : That one is a bit problematic, since it's more a transliteration than the actual name that was used for the building (name that I've not found yet)
    - Lamassu Gate => Aban Lamassi : Here again, a transliteration meaning "Lamassu amulet/protection". Can't find more a precise expression for now.

Spoiler Babylon :

- Wall of Babylon/Blue Wall => Iqnu Amuhhu : I tried at the beginning to use the Ishtar Gate as a base for translation, but that doesn't work in the context of a civ game where this UC isn't a wonder. As a result, I translated "Blue Wall" : "Iqnu" is the word to describe the "lapis lazuli blue" of the wall, while "Amahhu" is used to describe a city wall.

Spoiler Carthage :

I'm sorry Carthage, but there is simply not enough for me to find a single "acceptable" translation of the words needed...

Spoiler Denmark :

- Berserker => Ulfhednar/Berserkir : Normally, it should be easy to find the translated word, but the fact is that the unit picture shows warriors with wolf pelts, and not bear pelts, which tends to make me think that they could be described as Ulfhednar. @De_Genius isn't present on the forum nowadays, so is there a Scandinavian among us that could help here ?
    - Runestone => Runesten : Simple search in the Danish dictionnary, but there could be a mistake, so any help is welcome.

Spoiler Egypt :

- War Chariot => Merkebet (from mrkbt) : One of the main words used to describe an war chariot in ancient Egypt (example).
    - Is there someone with a bit of knowledge in Egyptology to explain how "3Ht" (which is supposed to describe a royal tomb) can be written in English ?

Spoiler Ethiopian :

- Monolithic Church : The only thing I've found is an ugly transliteration for "stone-hewn church". I think we need someone with actual knowledge in Ethiopian here.

Spoiler Akhachin :

- Sachem's Council => Sachem Akhachin : "Akhachin" is the word I've found in an 17th century French-Onondaga dictionary for "council", but that's not a very fiable source unfortunately. Sachem is also problematic, since it's more of a global term in the region, and not a xenonym used by the Onondaga.

Spoiler Maya :

- Ball Court => Pokolpok : "Pokolpok" is the current Mayan name for the sport practiced in these courts. A more precise word would be used, but I've not enough information for now.
    - Atlatlist => Hul'che : I've searched for ways to insert an "occupational" dimension to the word, but I've yet to read a precise enough method in Mayan grammar books (which is logical, for they weren't made for neophytes simply searching for a single grammatical equivalent). Well, we can use the same word used in Civ6, which is already more faithful than the one in Civ5.

Spoiler Mongolia :

- Black Tug => Mingghan : An expression like "Black Tug", which is understandable in English due to its ability to easily form new words, is difficult to translate in another language. Since the unit is meant to describe a contingent of charging horsemen, I think the word "Mingghan", already used for the unique promotion of the unit and originally describing a regiment of a thousand warriors, is good enough.
    - Yassa Court => Yehe Sazag : Litteraly means "High Law", so it's more about the concept and less about the building, but I think using an actual expression instead of a transliteration is the best course here.

Spoiler Sweden :

Carolean => Karoliner : Easy search.

Spoiler Venice :

Great Galleass => Galea Sottile/Bastarda/Grossa : A Galea Sottile was the Venitian equivalent of a galley (so rowed ships), with Galea Bastarda and Galea Grossa being the heavier variants in the XVth-XVIth centuries. Your choice.

17. adan_eslavo

Reuploaded:

Attached Files:

Hinin likes this.
  18. Hinin

Hinin King

Just a thing : the Babylonian Iqnu Amuhhu is for the UB1 and not the UU1. My mistake.

19. adan_eslavo

Correcting...

Hinin likes this.
  20. adan_eslavo

Digging for such endonyms is time consuming and I really appreciate you are doing that. Cannot wait for next "confirmed" names list :thumbsup:

Hinin likes this.