Alternative Component Names for VP

v0.22 on github:
Code:
- added endonyms for city-states;
- added easier half of the adjectives-endonyms;
- fixed few things (f.e. England, Lisbon, China);
- added few cities to existing nations;
- cleaned the code;

@HungryForFood Can you look at city lists that you are in common and verify them, correct, add something? Chinese one is nice, but little too short imo. And you probably have access to better data, than I am. Current one was made by @Phalanx BR.

Attachments

• (text) Alternative Component Names for VP (v0.22).zip
    75.4 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Using current reserve made by @SeelingCat I expanded Iroquois city list from 31 to 55 names. New ones:
Code:
Onnontare
Tiohero
Canienga
Osquake
Teatontaloga
Chittenango
Hostayuntwa
Ossewingo
Tkanetota
Touenho
Ahaouete
Deseroken
Gannentaha
Chenango
Joneadih
Onnahee
Yoroonwago
Sheshequin
Annaooka
Ingaren
Unanauhan
Tasqui
Nyuchirhaan
Contahnah

Aztec list expanded by 6 names:
Code:
Tenochtitlan
Texcoco
Tlacopan
Chalco
Azcapotzalco
Xochimilco
Acolman
Citlaltepec
Cuauhtitlan
Cuauhuacan
Petlacalco
Toluca
Huey Atotonilco
Atotonilco
Xilotepec
Axocopan
Hueyipochtlan
Ocuillan
Tlachco
Cuauhnahuac
Huaxtepec
Tlalcozauhtitlan
Quiyauhteopan
Tlatlahquitepec
Cuauhtochco
Cuetlaxtlan
Yohualtepec
Coaixtlahuacan
Acatlan
Ahuatlan
Cuauchinanco
Huexotlan
Ocuituco
Tetela
Xalapan
Cempoalatl

Ok, today I have this "creativity mood", so another quick update: v0.23. Few corrections, few new adjectives (endonyms), but the important part is thing suggested by @HungryForFood/@pineappledan: xenonyms for civilizations. Now you can choose between:
  • original version
  • xenonyms:
Spoiler Xenonyms :
upload_2020-4-14_19-35-43.png

• endonyms:
Spoiler Endonyms :
upload_2020-4-14_19-36-22.png

As you can see, some adjectives (endonyms) are missing, but I'm working on that... Enjoy!

Attachments

• (text) Alternative Component Names for VP (v0.23).zip
    76.7 KB · Views: 256
The goal was specifically to use endonyms if one is known (obviously for dead languages and such, we can't do much). China being comfortable with their English appellation is fine, but there are other cultures where the xenonyms are rooted in either ignorance (Inca), sweeping generalizations (Persia, Aztec), or outright bigotry (Iroquois). The prevailing theory for the name "China" is that it comes from the Qin. At the very least, if AE is changing everyone else, there could be a more accurate name for the empire represented by a Tang/Zhou empress.

IMO, I wouldn't name the civ meant to represent the length and breadth of China after a dynasty that lasted only 15 years... The compromise would be to call China "The Middle Kingdom", perhaps
15 years, and such a big game is using it to represent country with tousands years of history :p

v0.24. Finally I got rid of those automatic preffixes and suffixes!

Attachments

• (text) Alternative Component Names for VP (v0.24).zip
    76.9 KB · Views: 271
@pineappledan I noticed Venice can now found cities, but they do not have any city list. I decided to add one, but serious part of it are islands. Do you have any knowledge about if there were some important cities on them? (islands are written with CAPS LOCK):
Code:
Venesia
Olivolo
Murano
Poveglia
Malamocco
Albiola
Mazzorbo
Treporti
Burano
Ammiana
Tercello
Costanziaco
Chioggia
Sottomarina
Brondolo
Cavanella d’Adige
Cavarzere
Loreo
Cittanova
Jesolo
Caorle
Bibione
Grado
Molfancone
Capodistria
Trieste
Parenzo
Pola
VEGLIA
CHERSO
LUSSINO
ARBE
PAGO
PREMUDA
I. LUNGA
Zara
PASMANO
CORONATA
Sebenico
Trau
ZURI
Spalato
SOLTA
BRAZZA
LESINA
I. ISSA
CURZOLA
Castelnuovo
Ragusa
SABRIONCELLO
CURZOLA
LAGOSTA
Durazzo

In the meanwhile Official Release of v1 version of the mod!
Code:
- added simplified venetian list for now
- both (xenonym and endonym) civilization lists uses xonym adjectives. There are too many problem with sentences created using endonym adjectives with english nouns.

Rewored main post, added official site for downloading. Enjoy!

Last edited:
To my knowledge, Venice can only settle 3 additional cities using their GMerchants. I believe the cities in the current VP list are good and accurate, they are the names of Venice’s largest Latin and Dalmatian colonia.

i’m not aware of any circumstance that would require a city list larger than 4 names

To my knowledge, Venice can only settle 3 additional cities using their GMerchants. I believe the cities in the current VP list are good and accurate, they are the names of Venice’s largest Latin and Dalmatian colonia.

i’m not aware of any circumstance that would require a city list larger than 4 names
Then this list will be fine. Thanks for the info. I didn't play Venice since rework.

The Huns still steal city names?
I've actually always used this mod alongside with the better Celt and Polynesian names but with this mod I can pretty much dump them.
Good to know! I will add it then :)

Hi @adan_eslavo. I've been working a little on the missing parts of the mod, and made an excel document about it. If you're interested, here is the color code for it :
- green : already present in the modmod
- orange : the xenonyms I've found and I'm fairly certain about
- yellow : xenonyms with problems
- red : missing xenonyms

Hope I can be helping in the next two weeks so that a more definitive version can be created. Powodzenia/bon courage pour la suite. :)

P.S. : Of course, all the xenonyms I've found can be talked about. Some are based on interpretation (ex. : Mingghan), others on personal translation work.

Attachments

• Tableur Xenonyms (v. 0.4).xlsx
    11.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Hi @adan_eslavo. I've been working a little on the missing parts of the mod, and made an excel document about it. If you're interested, here is the color code for it :
- green : already present in the modmod
- orange : the xenonyms I've found and I'm fairly certain about
- yellow : xenonyms with problems
- red : missing xenonyms

Hope I can be helping in the next two weeks so that a more definitive version can be created. Powodzenia/bon courage pour la suite. :)

P.S. : Of course, all the endonyms I've found can be talked about. Some are based on interpretation (ex. : Mingghan), others on personal translation work.
I will wait then for your definitive version. Meanwhile I have much other work to care about, so there's no rush. Good to hear, that some more endonyms are found.

I resigned from the idea of endonyms adjectives, because they look awful ingame. In some texts they are totally breaking the style, because they are part of senteces written in english. I can add them, but they will be disabled by default.

Last edited:
Ok, so I'll do a list about all the elements present in the excel doc, so that we can discuss about the translations for some of them.

Spoiler Big list :

Spoiler Adjective :

I understand the problem, so I'll let things as they are. Except Ashshuru, Babiluu and amaZulu, which directly designate someone or something originating from a place (for Assyria or Babylon, it means litteraly "from Assur"/"from Babylon") or from a people ("from the Zulu people"), most of the others are quite problematic in themselves, so it's better to let them be for now.

Also, what could be the correct adjective for India ? @pineappledan ?

Spoiler Assyria :

- Siege Tower => Dintu : The only word I've found used to describe a tower that has an offensive/siege connotation.
- Iron Chariot => Attartu : Attartu is the Akkadian word to specifically describe a war chariot (in opposition to a "civilian" chariot).
- Royal Library => Daru Gerginakku : That one is a bit problematic, since it's more a transliteration than the actual name that was used for the building (name that I've not found yet)
- Lamassu Gate => Aban Lamassi : Here again, a transliteration meaning "Lamassu amulet/protection". Can't find more a precise expression for now.

Spoiler Babylon :

- Wall of Babylon/Blue Wall => Iqnu Amuhhu : I tried at the beginning to use the Ishtar Gate as a base for translation, but that doesn't work in the context of a civ game where this UC isn't a wonder. As a result, I translated "Blue Wall" : "Iqnu" is the word to describe the "lapis lazuli blue" of the wall, while "Amahhu" is used to describe a city wall.

Spoiler Carthage :

I'm sorry Carthage, but there is simply not enough for me to find a single "acceptable" translation of the words needed...

Spoiler Denmark :

- Berserker => Ulfhednar/Berserkir : Normally, it should be easy to find the translated word, but the fact is that the unit picture shows warriors with wolf pelts, and not bear pelts, which tends to make me think that they could be described as Ulfhednar. @De_Genius isn't present on the forum nowadays, so is there a Scandinavian among us that could help here ?
- Runestone => Runesten : Simple search in the Danish dictionnary, but there could be a mistake, so any help is welcome.

Spoiler Egypt :

- War Chariot => Merkebet (from mrkbt) : One of the main words used to describe an war chariot in ancient Egypt (example).
- Is there someone with a bit of knowledge in Egyptology to explain how "3Ht" (which is supposed to describe a royal tomb) can be written in English ?

Spoiler Ethiopian :

- Monolithic Church : The only thing I've found is an ugly transliteration for "stone-hewn church". I think we need someone with actual knowledge in Ethiopian here.

Spoiler Akhachin :

- Sachem's Council => Sachem Akhachin : "Akhachin" is the word I've found in an 17th century French-Onondaga dictionary for "council", but that's not a very fiable source unfortunately. Sachem is also problematic, since it's more of a global term in the region, and not a xenonym used by the Onondaga.

Spoiler Maya :

- Ball Court => Pokolpok : "Pokolpok" is the current Mayan name for the sport practiced in these courts. A more precise word would be used, but I've not enough information for now.
- Atlatlist => Hul'che : I've searched for ways to insert an "occupational" dimension to the word, but I've yet to read a precise enough method in Mayan grammar books (which is logical, for they weren't made for neophytes simply searching for a single grammatical equivalent). Well, we can use the same word used in Civ6, which is already more faithful than the one in Civ5.

Spoiler Mongolia :

- Black Tug => Mingghan : An expression like "Black Tug", which is understandable in English due to its ability to easily form new words, is difficult to translate in another language. Since the unit is meant to describe a contingent of charging horsemen, I think the word "Mingghan", already used for the unique promotion of the unit and originally describing a regiment of a thousand warriors, is good enough.
- Yassa Court => Yehe Sazag : Litteraly means "High Law", so it's more about the concept and less about the building, but I think using an actual expression instead of a transliteration is the best course here.

Spoiler Sweden :

Carolean => Karoliner : Easy search.

Spoiler Venice :

Great Galleass => Galea Sottile/Bastarda/Grossa : A Galea Sottile was the Venitian equivalent of a galley (so rowed ships), with Galea Bastarda and Galea Grossa being the heavier variants in the XVth-XVIth centuries. Your choice.

Reuploaded:

Attachments

• Tableur Endonyms (v. 0.5).xlsx
    9.4 KB · Views: 145
Correcting...

Digging for such endonyms is time consuming and I really appreciate you are doing that. Cannot wait for next "confirmed" names list :thumbsup:

Top Bottom