Always War

Duckweed

Deity
Aspired by Snaaty's Deity AW thread, and also I have more time in this month. I decide to open a SG Always War game in normal setting.

Difficulty : Emperor or Immortal
Leader and Map: to be discussed

Anyone interested?

I've almost no experience in AW but I'd be happy to try.
I confress I wouldn't have a clue as to how to beat immortal AW tho.

...I would be interested, you're certainly a great player and could probably get a good team together. But I don't have much succession experience, and don't know if I could manage two succession games at once. Interestingly enough, the game I'm starting (Ragnar) could be very close to an always war, hoping it'll be fun if the story elements don't scare people away. No intention of hijacking your thread though, I just might be interested in this too.

Excellent! We have our team up.

Roster:
Duckweed
Ungy
Rusten
Dirk1302
r_rolo1
PaulisKhan

Time to discuss about the setting.
Here's my preference:
Difficulty: Emperor
Leader: Aggressive or Protective
Map: Continent (Pangaea could be too difficult, I am afraid 6 is too many to handle from beginning)

I'm fine with emperor if it's with standard settings (read: not technology trading off). The starting location will be a very big difficulty generator in itself.

I find aggressive to be more useful than protective in standard AW games. Not only does it help you on the attack, but easy access to the shock promo is very useful when defending. That said, I can play any leader--it doesn't have to be the "best" one.

I'm fine with emperor if it's with standard settings (read: not technology trading off). The starting location will be a very big difficulty generator in itself.

I find aggressive to be more useful than protective in standard AW games. Not only does it help you on the attack, but easy access to the shock promo is very useful when defending. That said, I can play any leader--it doesn't have to be the "best" one.

Everything is default except the AW is on.

Any other suggestions on the initial setting?

Emperor/Normal/Continent/Random Leader & AIs ???

I think having rolo participate on the team is a very good idea. He's a fine player and has some experience with AW which helps. We only have 5 players and 6 is a good number for succession games. I also know that rolo knows a thing or two about how civ is programmed. I had to write some very long posts yesterday, ultimately failing to convince a very good player about the basics of war declarations. It's nice to have someone on the team who can verify or also nullify conclusions i draw from the civ4 code.

Some other thing just so you know, i think knowing how civ4 is programmed is a normal skill thing just as good players know about xml.The most important conclusions about war declarations should have been in an article long ago imo but DanF posts go a long way there already anyway. As i posted yesterday i can also see who is planning on who by running any save through a debugger. I don't do that in my own games or succession games until after the game. As i posted in the Ungy06 game i strongly suspect Sal was after Kub or Bren there based on code, don't know which one because it's hard to quantify the code without knowing there power. I only take the save where Sal went wheeohrn through my program after that game is finished since knowing the quantification of the code tells me things about Kub's and Bren's power that i should not know while playing (not enough ep to know). But i'd be interested about how you feel about these sort of things.

Some other thing just so you know, i think knowing how civ4 is programmed is a normal skill thing just as good players know about xml.

I also write a lot codes five years ago, but I turn to a bench worker afterward.:crazyeye:

Here's the start:

We draw Bismarck. Not much help on the war. Well, would be nice to get some helpful wonders.

I would move scout to NE jungle hill first and tend to get some more green tiles by setting 1E. Suggestions?

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    35.8 KB · Views: 87
There should be another food in the BFC I think.
I don't think we should lose it so if we don't see it (or another) to the E I'd just settle in place.

After move the scout, yes, we do have another food resource, and to the north, there's a corn.

So here's the choices:
Settle in place, hope there's more resources west.
1N of the forest hill, lose one turn, get the extra corn, but lose two hill site
1W of the forest hill, gain 5 more green tiles. I prefer this. Hammer heavy capital is always my favorite type, especially in this game, we need to focus on production of units from beginning.

The 1st tech is obvious. AH

I like settling 1 east. As you mentioned there's a lot of green riverside tiles which are generally useful. We know for sure that another (useful) city can take the corn. Settling 1e means we get the pigs going 1 turn sooner than if we settle in place.

Top Bottom