An update from Firaxis Games regarding Beyond Earth feedback

Cannot believe the game shipped without a completed production notification. That is just...wow.

played civ since civ 1 on DOS and have 4,500 hours on civ 5. never posted here. registered today to let Firaxis know I will not play BE until this horrible trade route fiasco is sorted. please rush out an 'automatic' option as per worker, or whatever you fancy. just sort it. every turn ends with more time spent micromanaging trade routes than grinding filthy opponents into bloody mush, which is what used to be the point of civ.

click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click - that's 6 trade routes sorted. playing on massive maps that's possible EVERY $%!#@ TURN! what have I ever done to you to deserve this?

good game, should be great eventually... keep up the good work, but PATCH ME NOW PLEASE.

played civ since civ 1 on DOS and have 4,500 hours on civ 5. never posted here. registered today to let Firaxis know I will not play BE until this horrible trade route fiasco is sorted. please rush out an 'automatic' option as per worker, or whatever you fancy. just sort it. every turn ends with more time spent micromanaging trade routes than grinding filthy opponents into bloody mush, which is what used to be the point of civ.

Sounds like you won't be playing at all then.

Trade route management is far from the most urgent thing that needs to be addressed in this game. When they do address it, I expect they'll add a couple more sorting options, and that's it. It was the same way for the entirety of Civ V.

Cannot believe the game shipped without a completed production notification. That is just...wow.

There are some basic grammar and spelling errors. I'm not surprised that QA missed major things like production notification.

I don't get why a trade routes have to be set again and again. Why don't simply make them permanent and only notify me if the merchants are killed or something. AND let me re-route them whenever I please, not every X amount of turns.

I find it funny how some people here complain about resetting trade routes but not about shuffling their military units around every turn.:p

Perhaps because moving military units is engaging and necessary, while having a supposed "automatic" feature popping out every few turns asking you if you want to re-rout it is tedious and unnecessary? Unnecessary at least "gameplay mechanics" wise.

It would be useful if it was on the form of the advisor telling me "hey, this most advantageous trade route is open, why don't we cease X route, which is the least beneficial of the current ones and reassign it?" or "X city is starving, why don't open a trade route there from Y city"

A simple "keep trade routes until said so" option on the menu could fix it.

Trade route benefits/yields can change between the lifespans of any given route, you know.
Or a player might want to change ASAP from internal to external (or vice versa) routes for some reason.
Or a quest pops up that needs a trade connection before other colonies beat you to it.
Or diplo-trade routing with some AI colony over another.

Automating a trade route could be benefitial, but there is still the need to cancel it on short notice if a situation arises.

Perhaps because moving military units is engaging and necessary, while having a supposed "automatic" feature popping out every few turns asking you if you want to re-rout it is tedious?

A simple "keep trade routes until said so" option on the menu could fix it.
Since you can only change trade routes at the end of a cycle, and cycles are tied to yield from stations, there seem to a be a couple of sollutions:
- Reduce the number of routes. 1 pr city seems a good bet, but will not solve the problem with trade routes promoting going as wide as possible. A set max number (for example 6, 8, 10 and 12 with certain techs/buildings) will reduce micromanagment a lot.
- Put the last used route on top of list
- Give a notification at the end of each cycle instead of being forces to chose every time.
- Option of auto-renewing (with the possibility of missing out on better yields)

Automating a trade route could be benefitial, but there is still the need to cancel it on short notice if a situation arises.
Exactly.

Since you can only change trade routes at the end of a cycle, and cycles are tied to yield from stations, there seem to a be a couple of sollutions:
- Reduce the number of routes. 1 pr city seems a good bet, but will not solve the problem with trade routes promoting going as wide as possible. A set max number (for example 6, 8, 10 and 12 with certain techs/buildings) will reduce micromanagment a lot.
- Put the last used route on top of list
- Give a notification at the end of each cycle instead of being forces to chose every time.
- Option of auto-renewing (with the possibility of missing out on better yields)
I'm more inclined on the last two. Perhaps with the option of allowing you to change trade routes at anytime with some small penalty for doing so.

Exactly.

I'm more inclined on the last two. Perhaps with the option of allowing you to change trade routes at anytime with some small penalty for doing so.

The problem with changing trade route at any time is that it is open to exploit. When a trade convoy/vessel is about to be smushed (by an alien or hostile faction) you could 'change route' before it gets hit and save your Trading vessel/convoy.

Aye.

The problem with changing trade route at any time is that it is open to exploit. When a trade convoy/vessel is about to be smushed (by an alien or hostile faction) you could 'change route' before it gets hit and save your Trading vessel/convoy.

Aye.

Hence the penalty

Automated trade routes selected on a city-by-city basis and optimizing for your choice of variable (science, gold, food, production, culture) actually sounds pretty ideal (as an option for the UI).

Top Bottom