1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

An update from Firaxis Games regarding Beyond Earth feedback

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by FXS_MisterKevin, Oct 30, 2014.

1. forty2j

forty2j King

True. But he was talking about "8 trade routes max", and with wonders & Venice you could be managing 20. The way the number goes up is different, but the way they're actually managed is the same.

2. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

And that was Venice's special thing. 1 city, many trade routes. In BE you will manage 20 cities and 60 trade routes. They do not even compare plus ALL factions have to do it.

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I get cheesed off just managing the number of trade routes in BNW. The number in BE is just too much for scrolling and hunting through lists.

4. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Emperor

There are mods that highlight previous routes and provide a hotkey to renew, so its not a major problem to manage them, IMO.

Getting the AI to not suicide convoys into my army is a bigger issue IMO.

5. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Be does have trade routes with the use of trade vessels, you can trade on land and sea.

6. mnf

mnf King

I actually don't mind a system where all trade route is managed in a deal-like system, convoys become a strategic resource that we can build, with the max number of convoys and routes from each city capped by the number of Trade Depots just like now.

7. Sartain

Sartain Chieftain

You can fix this yourself quite easily by accessing the GraphicsSettings file in your Documents/Civ 5 BE folder.

8. Gort

Gort Emperor

Thing is, they could improve the UI to the point where managing a million trade routes is a breeze (unlikely) but I still wouldn't actually understand what the design goal of having such a vast amount of food/production/science/energy tied to trade routes actually is. What is gained by having such a large amount of your empire's output tied to trade routes rather than buildings and tile yields?

All I can really think of is "The ability to get a new city up and running quicker" but that was already covered by using gold to rush-buy the basic food and production buildings.

If we had a concrete notion of what trade routes are meant to be adding to the game, it would be a lot easier to decide whether the implementation we have is well-designed or balanced.

9. PrinceofEggplant

PrinceofEggplant Chieftain

So, when am I going to be able to play fullscreen with my 144hz BenQ?

10. dhialuck

dhialuck Chieftain

Well sorry to say this but Firaxis you can go back to "sleep" as someone already fixed most of the UI in just a week from release.
    This guy basically did what you an entire company with Testers and Developers could not do. Link to the mod from Steam page http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=334840683. Props to IphStich.

edit: and this mod can be played as a DLC too it seems!

11. Gort

Gort Emperor

Not much use to anyone who wants to play Multiplayer though (until another modder fixes that) so for now please stay awake, Firaxis.

Edit: Waaaaaait a second. The dude's made it playable as a DLC! This might change everything!

12. Mozzington

Mozzington Prince

Come on Firaxis...what the hell is going on? Expecting a patch today or will be angry :mad: Grrrrr.....

13. Sebmono

Sebmono Chieftain

This mod seems awesome! Dl'ing as soon as work as over, woot!

14. Lunchmoney

Lunchmoney Chieftain

Why are you expecting a patch today? Did I miss a date annoucement?

15. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

No you didn't. People just made up their own deadline and are upset that the arbitrary schedule they made is not being honored.

16. Breezin

Breezin Warlord

I will say that it's been 2 weeks and still no patch which surprises me. The only precedent schedule we can go on is for Civ V and if I recall correctly, it had a patch 1 week after release.

Admittedly, there are a ton of problems with the game but i don't expect them to try to fix it with one patch. The issues they've addressed that are to be fixed don't seem like things that would take this long. The delay is puzzling.

17. David12596

David12596 Warlord

Pretty much agree with this. A lot of issues I have with the game seem to have been solved with mods that where pretty much release three days to one week after BE release. Now If we could use mods online I could totally wait for the patch, but seeing that we can't do that this wait is really disappointing.

18. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Yeah, I don't think people expect a balance patch that quickly. These things take time and testing... but the lack of a technical patch to fix the issues that have been seen, confirmed and acknowledged is a bit unusual. These usually come out quite quickly - not just from Firaxis but in the game industry overall.

19. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

Considering the balance in the game, and the fact these bugs are affecting a comparatively limited number of users, they may have decided to just roll out one big patch.

Additionally, their internal version may already have been addressing some of the balance issues when BE went Gold. If that is the case, they wouldn't be able to patch as quickly. They would have to roll back to the Gold version and work on a small patch for that then incorporate that into their current version. In that case, it may make more sense to keep working on what they have, ending up with less work in the long run.

20. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Another aspect could be: Civ:BE seems to have had a smaller budget than Civ5. If that's the case, I guess QA budget is smaller as well, meaning they can't have many patches as every patch needs another round of QA.