• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Annex asks...Best City Skyline?

Most Impressive City Skyline?

• Hong Kong

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • New York

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Dubai

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Tokyo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shanghai

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • Chicago

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • Toronto

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Annex, you well endowed individual, you forgot ___!

Votes: 12 10.6%

• Total voters
I remember Cincinnati's fondly.

This is mainly based on the pictures in the first post, and different perspectives would probably change a lot:

Hong Kong, New York, and Tokyo just look so boring, though they all have pretty much the same angle.

That central tower in the Dubai one, just keeps me from looking at teh rest of the city, and when I see the others they look so small.

Chicago's is leaning towards bad angle and bland, but other shot posted looks so much nicer.

The Toronto picture is about a good as you can get of that city and the perfect angle. The thing I like best about it is the variety. You have the buildings gradually getting bigger as you move to the right, with the SkyDome and CN tower (which while it dominates, is plainly a different kind of building and offcentred, so it doesn't detract).

Shanghai, perfect angle and amazing architecture.

It helps these two that I like towers like the CN tower, Calgary tower, Space Needle, the one Shanghai has.

All in all, based on that set of images I have to say Toronto, but several would likely be right up there with better pictures (but I think New York is ugly).

No love for Sydney?

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Your own pics Arwon?

I like Hong Kong with New York coming in a close second place

As someone who spends a fair amount of time on SkyScraperCity.com, I can say that this is the correct answer ;)

Of course New York is going to win, because this board is dominated by Americans.

In a couple years, Dubai is going to take over, though, and Shanghai might be a contender as well.

I would say Chicago is 3rd.

Those are some pretty bad shots of the respective skylines in the OP, btw. There are far better shots of all of those out there.

(Yes, I know this is all a matter of opinion, please take my post with a grain of salt. You really can't beat Hong Kong, though.)

The Toronto picture is about a good as you can get of that city and the perfect angle. The thing I like best about it is the variety. You have the buildings gradually getting bigger as you move to the right, with the SkyDome and CN tower (which while it dominates, is plainly a different kind of building and offcentred, so it doesn't detract).

Actually, Toronto's skyline is best appreciated if you look at it from the east or west. There is a long line of skyscrapers along Yonge street that you just don't see from the waterfront. There are clusters of skyscrapers going as far north as the northern part of North York.

The problem is the best views of Sydney are from the water or from the parts of the city I don't live in. So yeah.

Point is Sydney should be in that list at the very least.

New York city.

The SkyScraperCity.com forum has recently ranked the top skylines. About 1,000 people voted

The results:

1. Hong Kong, China
2. New York • Manhattan, USA
3. Chicago, USA
4. Sydney, Australia
5. Shanghai, China
6. Toronto • City, Canada
7. Tokyo, Japan
8. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
9. Melbourne, Australia
10. Singapore CBD, Singapore
11. Dubai, UAE
12. Seattle, USA
13. San Francisco, USA
14. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
15. Jakarta, Indonesia
16. Guangzhou, China
17. Vancouver, Canada
18. Bangkok, Thailand
19. Metro Manila, Philippines
20. São Paulo, Brazil
21. Frankfurt am Main, Germany
22. Minneapolis, USA
23. Shenzhen, China
24. Los Angeles, USA
25. London • City, UK

Not that this is meant to be any sort of authoritative list, but I would say it closely mirrors to what the Skyscraper community in general would agree is a good top 25 list.

Manila has a skyline? Unless they're talking about the Makati area, then that seems very strange.

Now I kinda feel bad for not including Sydney. :(

Those are some pretty bad shots of the respective skylines in the OP, btw. There are far better shots of all of those out there.

(Yes, I know this is all a matter of opinion, please take my post with a grain of salt. You really can't beat Hong Kong, though.)

Yeah I know. I was too lazy to find good pics for each city so all of em in the op is from one site, except for the one Whomp posted.

I would have probably voted for Hong Kong if I had the pleasure of seeing it in person, but alas Ive only been to New York and Toronto of the cities on that list.

Top Bottom