Anno Domini Rise of Cities edition

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

The galley should now work (will test it prior to the next version going live). Essentially the program thinks the galley has been deleted and that a new unit, the warship, has been created, with a new unit class. The player will view this as the galley, but freed of any in-built restrictions, it should work like any other unit.

I'm not sure when the next update will appear; I've done a number of changes that aren't necessarily obvious, such as switching some of the civilisations from the base game to packs and correcting a few issues (including issues no-one has raised but I've spotted myself). Other "dull tasks" but necessary in my personal view include switching over the city lists so that there's one central list which all the civilisations refer to. For those unsure what I mean, it's that modded civilisations come with their own city list which is independent to anyone else, so there could be, for example, lots of cities called "Thebes". This ensures there's just one instance of each city name.

The only new civ so far since last time is Elam. I'd like to add a couple of others at least, plus finish off my amendments, prior to the next release. Don't quote me on the timescales, but I'm guessing the last couple of days in November.

Found another Promotion-related bug: The Recruiter doesn't actually give the "Recruit" promotion. And checking the Civilopedia I noticed it would have the icon that's usually associated with +Movement - while you're at it, maybe that could be changed to some other icon. I can't find the Recruiter in Buildings.xml though (it does appear in BuildingsText), is that added through some different file??

Oh, and here's a screenshot with the roads. You'll notice that they can be seen clearly on relatively clear terrain, but as soon as the ground is covered by farms or mines (not counting Polders because even Vanilla roads are invisible underneath those) you'll need to check with the mouse if there really is a road or not.

Spoiler :

The unit I have selected has been built in a city with a Recruiter and there's no >>> icon as it should be according to the Civilopedia.

Thanks for feeding the information in :).

There's something I've recently discovered about promotions granted through buildings (there needs to be an entry in the UnitPromotions_UnitCombats section). I seem to have missed the Recruiter when I did this, but will amend it forthwith.

In relation to the armoury, I need to add Anno Domini-specific help text. To be clear on the requirements for the buildings, the armoury requires the Castra Praetoria, which in turn requires the barracks.

So you gave up implementing FA's automatic building tooltips? If you make them work properly, the information about required buildings should be generated automatically.

I'm using a similar system in my (yet unreleased) mod, and it's a great thing - you don't have to write the help text yourself, and also it's good for catching mistakes in the database - you will see that the help text doesn't correspond to the in-game effect you intended.

There's something I've recently discovered about promotions granted through buildings (there needs to be an entry in the UnitPromotions_UnitCombats section). I seem to have missed the Recruiter when I did this, but will amend it forthwith.

Could you please tell me where to find the Recruiter? :) I'd like to fix that in my own game (and while I'm at it remove the resource requirement and instead add 2-3 Maintenance). I just can't find it in Buildings.xml, which is really weird. And might also be why you missed the Recruiter when fixing the promotions. It's simply not there; I even searched for the prerequisite tech in case it has an obscure name, but nope. Thanks!

Good question! It's in the mercenaries/core folder, under the buildings there.

The extra code you need to make the promotion work is below.

Code:
<UnitPromotions_UnitCombats>
		<Row>
			<PromotionType>PROMOTION_RECRUIT</PromotionType>
			<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_ARCHER</UnitCombatType>
		</Row>
		<Row>
			<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_MELEE</UnitCombatType>
		</Row>
		<Row>
			<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_MOUNTED</UnitCombatType>
		</Row>
		<Row>
			<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_RECON</UnitCombatType>
		</Row>
		<Row>
			<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_SIEGE</UnitCombatType>
		</Row>
</UnitPromotions_UnitCombats>

Thank you! :)

Speaking of Mercenaries, now that I have actually begun my unstoppable march on Pella (through the entire Carthaginian empire, sorry Dido ...) I did encounter enemy mercenaries and could recruit some of my own. I love em! However, the option to extend the contracts doesn't seem to be working. The "Filled Contracts" window is simply empty. But it could be that there are some conditions that I'm not meeting. For example, I couldn't extend the contract for my Helepolis, and then a few turns before the contract ran out, it died. Now the Helepolis appears again but I can't re-hire it.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't really understand how the Mercenary system works and I haven't found an explanatory Civilopedia entry either. (And either I'm blind or the explanations in the Mercenary mod's thread aren't very clear either.)

Edit: Okay, mixing SQL with XML code for the same building is apparently a bad idea. Couldn't select the production menu anymore after loading the game. I *think* I figured out how to change it in the SQL file but the change doesn't apply to an existing savegame. Maintenance cost does show up when I start a new game. (If I change or add Maintenance cost to an existing building in the XML file, the changes immediately apply. One more reason why I like XML better than SQL, other than that it's more straightforward and easier to understand and emulate.) So for this game I'll just stick with the resource requirement instead of Maintenance cost. The promotion is now given, however, and that was the main thing I wanted to fix anyway. :)

Hi people,

The download link is down, would you please upload it again

I would love to but have been temporarily suspended by Dropbox due to exceeding their download limits. I'm not looking to re-upload the version I uploaded at the end of October but will try and source an alternative download venue for the next version, which is possibly going to be available this time next week, depending on how next weekend goes.

Wait, if you were to play as the Qin and get the Angkor Wat, would you be able to buy tiles for free?

No, it would be a quarter of the normal price. The Angkor Wat doesn't appear until the end of the game in any case, so it's the empire points that are more important at that stage of the game; the conjunction of the effects of Angkor Wat and Bureaucracy (the Qin UA) doesn't make it a particularly overpowered ability at that stage of the game.

As an aside, the Qin aren't in the game at the moment.

In other news, it looks like dropbox have lifted the ban and the mod is downloadable again :).

One thing I've noticed is that early in the game, when barbarian camps spawn slingers, you can stand a unit a stone's throw away, and the slingers seem to pretty reliably hit you and retreat after battle, leaving the camp undefended and easily taken by your unit. Certainly doesn't ruin the game but it is kind of strange behavior.

I don't know how difficult something like that is to change, though.

No, it would be a quarter of the normal price. The Angkor Wat doesn't appear until the end of the game in any case, so it's the empire points that are more important at that stage of the game; the conjunction of the effects of Angkor Wat and Bureaucracy (the Qin UA) doesn't make it a particularly overpowered ability at that stage of the game.

As an aside, the Qin aren't in the game at the moment.

In other news, it looks like dropbox have lifted the ban and the mod is downloadable again :).

Wait, why were the Qin taken out? When will all the Anno Domini MODLCs be out?

One thing I've noticed is that early in the game, when barbarian camps spawn slingers, you can stand a unit a stone's throw away, and the slingers seem to pretty reliably hit you and retreat after battle, leaving the camp undefended and easily taken by your unit. Certainly doesn't ruin the game but it is kind of strange behavior.

I don't know how difficult something like that is to change, though.
It's not something I'd be able to change; it's all hard-coded. The only way to remove it would not to have the "move after attack" promotion, but that would then take it out of ordinary slingers. There may be a way of making a unit unavailable to barbarians, but I don't know how to do that.

Wait, why were the Qin taken out? When will all the Anno Domini MODLCs be out?
All the civs were taken out initially, as advised earlier in the thread. There's a Steam upload limit. I'm putting them back in one by one, but on the way am ensuring the civs are as synergised as possible - and have support for events and decisions, which isn't a two-minute job. The MODLCs? Are you talking the civ packs? If so, I'm not sure about the answer, but am hoping I should get it done over my Christmas/New Year holiday.

Top Bottom