Anno Domini Rise of Cities edition

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

Hi and welcome to Civfanatics! I'm actually amazed they're building so many. What is supposed to happen is that they can have up to an additional two cities if the conditions are right; this seems to be a side-effect.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to add any further civilizations today due to trying to sort out other elements of the mod (though there are still 6 new ones to add to those from the last release).

I'm trying to delete Great Writers and thought I'd found a short-cut but it seems not, so back to the drawing board (looks like it's a longer way round I need to go!)

There is some good news - I investigated the Death of a Great Writer and found that even with my limited lua skills, I was able to add another option (which is to give the scrolls to his family - basically a "do nothing" option). As this is available 100% of the time (the other options rely on the player have sufficient culture or gold), it will give a valid option to chose and hence prevent the crash.

I will still upload what I have later this evening; even if the Great Writers situation isn't sorted, it's an aesthetic issue rather than a game-breaking one.

Version 22 is being uploaded and should be available within about 45 minutes. Here's the change log:

New Civilizations
  • Etruscans
  • Franks
  • Rome under Scipio Africanus
  • Suebi
  • Tang
  • Tibet

Updates
  • Added hemiolia - a new ship at Optics, bridging the gap between the curragh and the galley
  • Pyramids now require the Liberty policy tree and the Great Granary requires the Health policy tree
  • More icons updated

Fixes
  • Removed Egypt and Macedonia from the "Ancient Med" pack due to issues arising from having them in two packs
  • "Levitate" promotion deleted
  • Extra option given to "Death of a Great Writer" event - to do nothing, which is always going to be available - therefore preventing any crashes associated with this event

There's a couple of things to note. Firstly, I have been trying to delete the existing Great Writers without any success, which is frustrating. I would appreciate any help with this and have set up a thread in the general forum to catch people not following the mod.

One tiny bug I've accidentally left in v22 (but don't worry, it's actually a positive for the player that it's there) is that I've left the hemiolia able to deposit cargo, like the curragh before it. This is the first bugfix in v23!!

I've decided not to upload to Steam quite yet...I'm going to update the website this weekend so that it absolutely corresponds with the mod as it is now. If I get the GW issue fixed and maybe a couple of extra civilizations added, then I'll look to upload it by next weekend.

Thanks for the welcome! Long time lurker, the CS settler spam was what forced me to make an account.

Keep doing what you do, I love the mod and slowly learning how to play it. Need to unlearn certain patterns from vanilla.

Another bug:

The in-game texts regarding which wonders are unlocked by social trees are highly unreliable right now. For example, the Liberty tree still claims to unlock the Great Granary, neither the Pergamon Altar nor the Temple of Artemis mention that they're only useable with certain social trees, etc.

Fortunately, it looks like the desired in-game functionality is there. (i.e. the Pyramids are unlocked by Liberty)

BTW... I'm *really* digging the new Rome civ. However, it looks like they might be kinda overpowered. As in, Babylon-in-the-normal-game overpowered. Those proconsul governors can get *amazing*, and the battle-oriented proconsuls can end up helping armies *much* more than the regular general. In my current game, I think Scipio's overpowered-ness is being offset by me trying out the Warfare tree as my primary initial tree. Oof. I have a feeling that Warfare might make a good secondary tree, but it has been pretty painful trying to use it as my initial tree.

More on Scipio Africanus:

So I read up on the exact mechanics & possible promotions for the proconsuls (described here) and it turns out I just got really lucky for my first proconsuls: a Pius proconsul (who helped kickstart my religion in the very early game), a proconsul with all the really good +general skills, and 2 other good governors. Not a bad one in the lot.

Of course, after reading about what I can *actually* get, my very next proconsul was a crappy +farmer proconsul.... who was a "Dreadfully Bad General". Basically, if he gets anywhere near a battlefield, my troops forgot which end of the sword to use. So... yeah. This new Rome faction seems really well designed.

BTW... two more small bug reports: (Or maybe they're not bugs?)

First, the Ggantila and the Etemananki wonders no longer have their special abilities. (+growth% and +culture%, respectively) They now just give rather meager resource yields for a whole lot of construction hammers. Was this intentional, or did they accidentally lose their special abilities?

Second, and this is an incredibly small thing, workers no longer have the ability to remove roads. What a weird, specialized bug. I mean, I hardly ever use that ability, but every now & again (like in my current game) it's handy to fill rough terrain just outside an enemy's territory with roads so military units can get around, and then go back & delete all the excess roads after the invasion. Fortunately, the In-Game Editor came to the rescue. Man, that mod is amazing. It almost always seems to work, and it can fix tiny irritating quibbles like this. The only downside is that when you use it you can't help but see hidden resources in the area. Oh well. It was worth it to get rid of those unsightly (and costly) extra roads.

First, the Ggantila and the Etemananki wonders no longer have their special abilities. (+growth% and +culture%, respectively) They now just give rather meager resource yields for a whole lot of construction hammers. Was this intentional, or did they accidentally lose their special abilities?

I think the special abilities just don't show up in the tooltip/description text. At least in v18 the functionality was still there.

I think the special abilities just don't show up in the tooltip/description text. At least in v18 the functionality was still there.

Huh. You're right. I could've sworn that I tested those buildings (via IGE) before posting about them. Guess not.

Thanks!

Also, I just noticed that harbors don't extent the range of sea trade routes in Anno. In fact, I don't see any ways to extend sea trade routes. So it looks like land trade routes can end up having longer ranges than sea ones, once you factor in both +land range buildings and roads. Weird.

Quick question can i use the 34 civs mod with this?
No. This mod is a full conversion, so only civs designed for this mudpack will work with it. (For example, if you tried using the standard Bismarck with Anno Domini, his UU is the panzer.... and tanks don't exist in Anno Domini.)

IGE and InfoAddict work with it, actually.

So that's a genuine question. It's better if you test it out.

Hi Rob,
I have download v22 but I am going to stick with my v21 game for now as it's all quite exciting at the moment. One thing I have been noticing with v21 (which may have been fixed for v22 but I haven't seen it mentioned) is the music. After you load the game the title music is basically on a loop until you click on a leader to open the diplomacy screens. Then the individual leaders music plays. When that track ends and providing you have not talked to any other leader then no music plays. I think music played after I entered a new era or this might have been triggered by another leader denouncing me or something. The upshot is the music doesn't seem to be functioning as it normally does. I played a long game in v19 and this was not the case. I am playing as Rome (again) and I have checked all my settings which are the same as usual.

Anyway I'll hope to get to v22 maybe later this weekend.

Happy New Year!

Also, I just noticed that harbors don't extent the range of sea trade routes in Anno. In fact, I don't see any ways to extend sea trade routes. So it looks like land trade routes can end up having longer ranges than sea ones, once you factor in both +land range buildings and roads. Weird.

Yes, Harbors in AD are a complete mystery to me as well. The tooltip says they give +1 Production from ... what, sea tiles??? I think it's supposed to be sea resources but that doesn't really work either. I've never really been able to fix the Harbor in my Modmod of the xml files because it uses mostly Vanilla or BNW values and I don't really know which of them applies to AD. In short: I have no idea what a Harbor actually does apart from enabling city connections over sea tiles.

More on Scipio Africanus:

So I read up on the exact mechanics & possible promotions for the proconsuls (described here) and it turns out I just got really lucky for my first proconsuls: a Pius proconsul (who helped kickstart my religion in the very early game), a proconsul with all the really good +general skills, and 2 other good governors. Not a bad one in the lot.

Of course, after reading about what I can *actually* get, my very next proconsul was a crappy +farmer proconsul.... who was a "Dreadfully Bad General". Basically, if he gets anywhere near a battlefield, my troops forgot which end of the sword to use. So... yeah. This new Rome faction seems really well designed.

BTW... two more small bug reports: (Or maybe they're not bugs?)

Second, and this is an incredibly small thing, workers no longer have the ability to remove roads. What a weird, specialized bug. I mean, I hardly ever use that ability, but every now & again (like in my current game) it's handy to fill rough terrain just outside an enemy's territory with roads so military units can get around, and then go back & delete all the excess roads after the invasion. Fortunately, the In-Game Editor came to the rescue. Man, that mod is amazing. It almost always seems to work, and it can fix tiny irritating quibbles like this. The only downside is that when you use it you can't help but see hidden resources in the area. Oh well. It was worth it to get rid of those unsightly (and costly) extra roads.
I'm not sure why I didn't add the delete roads ability for workers and have done so for the next version. The World Wonders' text has been updated to reflect their true abilities (what they were previously).
I'm pleased to hear you're enjoying playing as Scipio!

Yes, Harbors in AD are a complete mystery to me as well. The tooltip says they give +1 Production from ... what, sea tiles??? I think it's supposed to be sea resources but that doesn't really work either. I've never really been able to fix the Harbor in my Modmod of the xml files because it uses mostly Vanilla or BNW values and I don't really know which of them applies to AD. In short: I have no idea what a Harbor actually does apart from enabling city connections over sea tiles.
Sorry for the confusion; let me clear it up. I only changed the text, tech prerequisite and cost of the harbour. When I copied the text over (to reflect it was an Anno-Extentionis building, not a Medieval one), I copied the text from the Vanilla folder, when the effect was an increase in sea resource production rather than the BNW folder, when this had changed to the trade route benefit. I've changed the text now, ready for the next version.

Hi Rob,
I have download v22 but I am going to stick with my v21 game for now as it's all quite exciting at the moment. One thing I have been noticing with v21 (which may have been fixed for v22 but I haven't seen it mentioned) is the music. After you load the game the title music is basically on a loop until you click on a leader to open the diplomacy screens. Then the individual leaders music plays. When that track ends and providing you have not talked to any other leader then no music plays. I think music played after I entered a new era or this might have been triggered by another leader denouncing me or something. The upshot is the music doesn't seem to be functioning as it normally does. I played a long game in v19 and this was not the case. I am playing as Rome (again) and I have checked all my settings which are the same as usual.

Anyway I'll hope to get to v22 maybe later this weekend.

Happy New Year!
I'm unsure why this is, but if I can track it down, I'll correct it.

Downloading v22 right now even though I haven't finished my v18 game. I want to play that new Rome. I read the other thread and it just sounds so amazing and different. Did you change all the free buildings to appropriate ones?

EDIT - first observations and questions, also bug reports:
- Did you change anything major about the Barbarians except for disabling Slingers for them? Apparently Barbarian Encampments now spawn with Great Generals in them most of the time. And DAYMN the Barbarian GG is tough! Not only +15% Combat Strength but also -15% for nearby enemies, plus any unit stacked with it will heal 25HP every turn, no matter what it does. I gotta say, I'm loving it. Is it supposed to simulate a Barbarian "city"? [I'm using the Ancient Mediterranean, East of Rome, and Enemies of Rome civ packs.]
- Also, the new limit for XP gained from Barbarians seems to be 60 instead of 100 (lvl4 instead of lvl5). Intentional? (I'm just curious; this would be easy enough for me to change if I didn't like it.)
- The Armenian city of Gyumr is displayed as TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_JFD_GYUMR.

Downloading v22 right now even though I haven't finished my v18 game. I want to play that new Rome. I read the other thread and it just sounds so amazing and different. Did you change all the free buildings to appropriate ones?

EDIT - first observations and questions, also bug reports:
- Did you change anything major about the Barbarians except for disabling Slingers for them? Apparently Barbarian Encampments now spawn with Great Generals in them most of the time. And DAYMN the Barbarian GG is tough! Not only +15% Combat Strength but also -15% for nearby enemies, plus any unit stacked with it will heal 25HP every turn, no matter what it does. I gotta say, I'm loving it. Is it supposed to simulate a Barbarian "city"? [I'm using the Ancient Mediterranean, East of Rome, and Enemies of Rome civ packs.]
- Also, the new limit for XP gained from Barbarians seems to be 60 instead of 100 (lvl4 instead of lvl5). Intentional? (I'm just curious; this would be easy enough for me to change if I didn't like it.)
- The Armenian city of Gyumr is displayed as TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_JFD_GYUMR.
I did do something major about the barbarians - put in Leugi's barbarian enhancements! I hadn't noticed that the limit for XP had dropped; perhaps that is in Leugi's pack as well; I'll look at that.
With respect to Gyumr, which should be Gyumri, I'd also noticed that in gameplay and have fixed it.

I did do something major about the barbarians - put in Leugi's barbarian enhancements! I hadn't noticed that the limit for XP had dropped; perhaps that is in Leugi's pack as well; I'll look at that.
It sounds like you're going to change the barbarians soon, but I'll ask this question anyways:

Why am I sometimes granted +100 gold and +75 culture for taking an encampment, and sometimes I just get the standard 25 gold? The larger reward seems to be completely random. At first I thought it might be the existence of the general that triggered it, but I've gotten the smaller reward even when I killed the general in the encampment.

It sounds like you're going to change the barbarians soon, but I'll ask this question anyways:

Why am I sometimes granted +100 gold and +75 culture for taking an encampment, and sometimes I just get the standard 25 gold? The larger reward seems to be completely random. At first I thought it might be the existence of the general that triggered it, but I've gotten the smaller reward even when I killed the general in the encampment.

It's from Leugi's barbarians and untouched. I was under the impression it was if there was a Great General myself. I didn't write the code, but merely stole it ;).

I'm suprised nobody else has posted it yet (unless i've just not noticed while glancing through!), but the Stone resource only provides 1 per quarry again (i'm sure it's been fixed for the last few versions), which is making wonder building nigh on impossible. Not sure if you've done this on purpose to make the wonders more evenly spread? I tend to spam wonders from an early point and even with more cities and quarries than anyone else i can't build anything! So yeah, i've still not worked out if this is a good thing (making the game harder) or a pain in the bottom lols!

I'm suprised nobody else has posted it yet (unless i've just not noticed while glancing through!), but the Stone resource only provides 1 per quarry again (i'm sure it's been fixed for the last few versions), which is making wonder building nigh on impossible. Not sure if you've done this on purpose to make the wonders more evenly spread? I tend to spam wonders from an early point and even with more cities and quarries than anyone else i can't build anything! So yeah, i've still not worked out if this is a good thing (making the game harder) or a pain in the bottom lols!

The stone resource only ever could create one per quarry - but there is the stone works (which can be built on cities with hills and gains 3 stone) and stone masons (+2 stone and +2 limestone, but the city must have access to either stone or limestone).

Wonder why i'm struggling to build wonders on my current game then. Have some of the wonders changed required resources to stone? There's about 4 or 5 wonders that i'd normally have built already and i can't yet for some reason, there just seems to be a massive shortage of stone. I must be missing something (apart from a boat load of stone :lol: ). Oh well, guess i'm off to invade the remaining desert lands and plunder the local oiks.

Top Bottom