Antiquity Buildings Guide - Gameplay + Visual incl. Cultural Variations

JNR13

Warlord
1728177523900.png

Last edited:
Have we discerned what exactly a "Warehouse" does, and why some unique improvements do not remove Warehouse bonuses?

Would the Baray be an example of a “warehouse” building, then?
Technically no, as a Baray is an improvement rather than a building, and it adds food based on a terrain type rather than on what buildings are in the settlement. This may be meaningful depending on what other mechanisms interact with a warehouse.

I find it interesting that faith and happiness are now being intertwined. I'm not sure if I agree with the thesis yet, as to my mind if we are going down that route I would want happiness to ultimately be very entwined not only with faith (altars), but also would want other forms of cultural fiction, leisure, luxury, to affect happiness. By that I mean I would expect in exploration and modern eras that religion, ideology, and consumerism particularly to also be expressions of "happiness" in addition to just "leisure." But I think this is definitely an interesting jumping off point to help integrate religion into a grander theory of multiple facets of ideology that unite people and keep them happy.

Therefore, it makes sense to me that in antiquity altars would be "pure happiness" buildings, and in exploration era temples/churches will both be "happiness" and interact with whatever religion minigames are introduced in exploration era (wherein I suspect a fifth religious victory will be introduced). But I feel like amphitheatres (cultures), areanae (military), markets (economics), and maybe even academies (science) should also have "side-happiness" bonuses, to better tie into the fact that by modern era pop music/film (culture), sports (military), fashion/food/luxury (economics), technology/colleges (science), and megachurches (religion) all provide "happiness" in roughly the same placative manner. I'll be curious to see if that actually ends up being the case.

Also, as an extension of that logic, I wonder if we will get a "diplomacy/political" building in exploration era that functions as pure diplomacy the same way altar functions as pure happiness in antiquity, which would then be a lead-in for modern era diplomatic victory, as well as diplomacy/political-based "happiness" buildings to tie ideologies alongside the other cults of consumption. I don't know, it's a two-second thought that I am realizing has some wrinkles/obstacles, but possibly ones which could be smoothed out.

I find it interesting that faith and happiness are now being intertwined. I'm not sure if I agree with the thesis yet, as to my mind if we are going down that route I would want happiness to ultimately be very entwined not only with faith (altars), but also would want other forms of cultural fiction, leisure, luxury, to affect happiness. By that I mean I would expect in exploration and modern eras that religion and consumerism particularly to also be expressions of "happiness."

Therefore, it makes sense to me that in antiquity altars would be "pure happiness" buildings, and in exploration era temples/churches will both be "happiness" and interact with whatever religion minigames are introduced in exploration era (wherein I suspect a fifth religious victory will be introduced). But I feel like amphitheatres (cultures), areanae (military), markets (economics), and maybe even academies (science) should also have "side-happiness" bonuses, to better tie into the fact that by modern era pop music/film (culture), sports (military), fashion/food/luxury (economics), technology/colleges (science), and megachurches (religion) all provide "happiness" in roughly the same placative manner. I'll be curious to see if that actually ends up being the case.

Also, as an extension of that logic, I wonder if we will get a "diplomacy/political" building in exploration era that functions as pure diplomacy the same way altar functions as pure happiness in antiquity, which would then be a lead-in for modern era diplomatic victory, as well as diplomacy/political-based "happiness" buildings to tie ideologies alongside the other cults of consumption. I don't know, it's a two-second thought that I am realizing has some wrinkles/obstacles, but possibly ones which could be smoothed out.
Check out the tech tree for the exploration era, it includes tooltips for the Menagerie and Pavilion: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civilization-vii-gameplay-trailer-showcase-tech-tree.691332/
Both grant Happiness and neither is religious. Presumably in antiquity the Villa and possibly the Arena will also grant Happiness despite not being religion-themed.

Check out the tech tree for the exploration era, it includes tooltips for the Menagerie and Pavilion: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civilization-vii-gameplay-trailer-showcase-tech-tree.691332/
Both grant Happiness and neither is religious. Presumably in antiquity the Villa and possibly the Arena will also grant Happiness despite not being religion-themed.

Oh yes, I think maybe I called part of it right then, as both the Menagerie and Pavilion seem very comfortably like "proto-diplomacy" buildings in the same way the altar is a "proto-religion" building (as they both derive from navigation (exploration) in the science (antiquity) tech tree). I'm curious if there will be an equivalent happiness building in the civics tree, probably unlocking from an economics (antiquity) + religion (exploration) pathway, that is in itself not a religious building.

I am also going to guess, based on this idea, that "lighthouse" is a rudimentary trade building that signals toward a more developed "trade" (science-tree) system to run alongside religion (civics-tree) in exploration era. And then I could see in the modern era "ideology/diplomacy" being added to civics, and "corporations/technology" being added to science.

As for the Arena, I think that wants to be a hybrid happiness/military building. I am hoping we get a few more buildings like that. I hope the baths and villa are our happiness/cultural and happiness/economic buildings. I hope there is a happiness/science building to complete the set. And then I imagine the Barracks is just our second core military building, since they seem to be coming in pairs.

Oh yes, I think maybe I called part of it right then, as both the Menagerie and Pavilion seem very comfortably like "proto-diplomacy" buildings in the same way the altar is a "proto-religion" building (as they both derive from navigation (exploration) in the science (antiquity) tech tree). I'm curious if there will be an equivalent happiness building in the civics tree, probably unlocking from an economics (antiquity) + religion (exploration) pathway, that is in itself not a religious building.

I am also going to guess, based on this idea, that "lighthouse" is a rudimentary trade building that signals toward a more developed "trade" (science-tree) system to run alongside religion (civics-tree) in exploration era. And then I could see in the modern era "ideology/diplomacy" being added to civics, and "corporations/technology" being added to science.

As for the Arena, I think that wants to be a hybrid happiness/military building. I am hoping we get a few more buildings like that. I hope the baths and villa are our happiness/cultural and happiness/economic buildings. I hope there is a happiness/science building to complete the set. And then I imagine the Barracks is just our second core military building, since they seem to be coming in pairs.
There are plenty of exceptions to any pairs rule one tries to establish, so I wouldn't be too rigid about it with expectations.

The Bath really just seems like growth building and nothing else.

There are plenty of exceptions to any pairs rule one tries to establish, so I wouldn't be too rigid about it with expectations.

The Bath really just seems like growth building and nothing else.
Of course, I am not expecting the final product to fully line up, it would feel a bit too gamey. Just indicating a sort of guiding big picture structure I am hoping loosely holds after the gameplay has been polished and the inherent gaminess obscured a bit better with flavor and inefficiency.

I think the civs/leaders are far more predictable, by contrast, once you can nail down the criteria and goals of the designers and how they are likely vetting options.

Religious structures, if there are any, are presumably in the Civics tree which we haven't seen for the second Age.

It will be interesting to see what kind of mechanics they have for religion this time around. All we know about it is that aside from Pantheons, which are the same, it starts in the Exploration Age, and that there is some kind of Missionary unit.

Religious structures, if there are any, are presumably in the Civics tree which we haven't seen for the second Age.

It will be interesting to see what kind of mechanics they have for religion this time around. All we know about it is that aside from Pantheons, which are the same, it starts in the Exploration Age, and that there is some kind of Missionary unit.
Yes, I think it's a pretty safe prediction at this point that religion is going to be the Civics tree counterpart to "navigation/trade" that is seen as the science tree's new facet/system/minigame.

I too am curious. VI had religious units, it had religious pressure (on top of cultural pressure, and I hope that they bring trade/economic pressure into the third era as a representation of soft power, like we had in Corporations and Monopolies), it had worship buildings, and it had beliefs as a sort of second, smaller policies system. On its face, it is difficult to imagine ways that can be improved.

What I do have a hunch about is that, now that civs are contained within eras and no longer need to be generalists for most of their run, that the civs within each era more clearly incorporate and express the unique systems/minigames of each era. By that I mean, in exploration age, we are going to see Songhai, Normans, and Mongolia heavily capitalize on whatever the trade system/minigame is, while the Abassids more heavily express religious spreading. And maybe some civs like the Chola and Ming can flip either way or do a little of both. I think a lot of prospective civs will likely develop around this idea. The Shawnee are clearly trade relationship oriented. I think prospective civs like Swahili/Kilwa and Majapahit will be trade oriented, civs like Silla and Maori will be religion-oriented, and Byzantium will probably also be a little of both. I have no idea how the Inca will lean, but the Aztecs, base game or DLC, will definitely have a religious bent. And if that be the case, maybe we will see some fairly unique and specific expressions of trade and religion gameplay that VI wasn't designed to accommodate.

They may also be accessed via religious beliefs, as they were in Civ 6.

And we have seen what seems to be a Mosque in the Abbasid city at the end of Hetshepsut's FL. I believe you have it categorized as an unknown building on your website.

And we have seen what seems to be a Mosque in the Abbasid city at the end of Hetshepsut's FL. I believe you have it categorized as an unknown building on your website.
Unfortunately, we know so little about the Exploration Age structures that I think it's premature to even guess at most of these buildings. What looks like a mosque could easily be a unique building instead of a religious structure, like the Mortuary Temple, Temple of Jupiter, Basilica, Vihara, Dharamshala and Parthenon which appear to be religious buildings but aren't.

Unfortunately, we know so little about the Exploration Age structures that I think it's premature to even guess at most of these buildings. What looks like a mosque could easily be a unique building instead of a religious structure, like the Mortuary Temple, Temple of Jupiter, Basilica, Vihara, Dharamshala and Parthenon which appear to be religious buildings but aren't.
The argument against that is we know that religion takes hold in Exploration. So while it is acceptable to have temples and such as unique buildings in Antiquity, I doubt we will see them in Exploration. The building which seems to be a generic Mosque likely is. Same for Cathedrals, Wats, and whatever else.

The argument against that is we know that religion takes hold in Exploration. So while it is acceptable to have temples and such as unique buildings in Antiquity, I doubt we will see them in Exploration. The building which seems to be a generic Mosque likely is. Same for Cathedrals, Wats, and whatever else.
You mean they will appear in Exploration but unlikely to be seen in Antiquity? If so, I agree, the fact that we haven't seen that Mosque anywhere gives it at least decent odds of being a temple, even moreso because the Abassids will likely lean into religious gameplay if my theory about exploration civs being designed to heavily play off religion and trade to be correct. Of course, it could still just be some other Exploration-specific building.

You mean they will appear in Exploration but unlikely to be seen in Antiquity? If so, I agree, the fact that we haven't seen that Mosque anywhere gives it at least decent odds of being a temple, even moreso because the Abassids will likely lean into religious gameplay if my theory about exploration civs being designed to heavily play off religion and trade to be correct. Of course, it could still just be some other Exploration-specific building.
If there are religious buildings available in the Antiquity Age, they have been carefully omitted from everything that we have been shown.

edit: I guess you could say that the Altar is a religious building, since it interacts with the Pantheons.

If there are religious buildings available in the Antiquity Age, they have been carefully omitted from everything that we have been shown.
Yep, I think that is a fair assessment. I think the odds at this point that they would have been intentionally keeping religious buildings a secret are low, there just wouldn't be much reason to and we have already seen so much antiquity footage featuring 8 of the officially revealed civs, plus the Mississippians, plus the Persians. (Also, I just realized that the order they have been "revealing" civs since the intial bulk reveal has been alphabetical (Greece, Han, Khmer). I wonder if that antiquity civ list leak was in fact intentional, and after we get the Mississippians out of the way we will see a Norse reveal, then Numidia and Amina, then Tonga and Nafanua/Whoever, then Sasania and Zarathustra, then Sumeria. The pacing would be really good.)

Didn't they confirm that there will be more building choices? I could've sworn that some techs/civics unlocked very similar buildings that had inverse effects, like the choice between the Archaeology and Art museums in 6

Top Bottom