Aksum - Antiquity Age Civilization Discussion

It seems that Aksum now almost entirely occupies the "Ancient Maritime Trader Civ" niche - and I wonder what the design of Phoenicia/Carthage would be down the road.

(Arguably, Carthage was not that maritime-heavy IRL, and a difference can be made there.)
There could be a space for 2 civs with Maritime focus. Probably, Phoenicia could be less focused on trade, rivers and resources and more on science and diplomacy. It's possible to distinguish them enough based on this.

I do think it's possible to distinguish between Aksum and Phoenicia, gameplay wise. The Phoenicians settled colonies/trade outposts all over the Mediterranean and gained quite a monopoly on the copper trade. Whereas Aksum traded with India/Egypt/Nabataea but did not establish colonial settlements there.

Many scholars believe that Aksum's ports were actually semi independent cities with their own kings - client states/vassals of Aksum under their millitary protection. Aksum was a highland power that controlled trade routes from the African interior to the Red Sea coast. Adulis is Aksum's only confirmed port - other major East African ports such as Zeila and Berbera were Somali ports who's relationship (subordination) to Aksum is not well understood yet.

Unlike the Phoenicians coastal inclination - Aksum also led extensive millitary campaigns over land - invading Nubia and frequently intervening in the wars among different South Arabian kingdoms. These Arabian kingdoms frequently sought Aksumite millitary assistance.

I think Aksum might have too much of a maritime bias given their land expeditions. A good balance of both land and maritime abilities would be ideal in my opinion.
[edit - i forgot to finish the last sentence]

Last edited:
Many scholars believe that Aksum's ports were actually semi independent cities with their own kings - client states/vassals of Aksum under their millitary protection. Aksum was a highland power that controlled trade routes from the African interior to the Red Sea coast. Adulis is Aksum's only confirmed port - other major East African ports such as Zeila and Berbera were Somali ports who's relationship (subordination) to Aksum is not well understood yet.

Unlike the Phoenicians coastal inclination - Aksum also led extensive millitary campaigns over land - invading Nubia and frequently intervening in the wars among different South Arabian kingdoms. These Arabian kingdoms frequently sought Aksumite millitary assistance.

I think Aksum might have too much of a maritime bias given their land expeditions. A good balance of land and maritime
Yes, this is where I harbor some doubts about the design - Aksum was not known for its naval dominance or something; it was primarily a middleman that controlled a choke point on the Mediterranean-Indian trade route.

And come to think of it, Swahilians should be a better choice for a maritime East African civ. Maybe in the 2nd Age.

Yes, this is where I harbor some doubts about the design - Aksum was not known for its naval dominance or something; it was primarily a middleman that controlled a choke point on the Mediterranean-Indian trade route.

And come to think of it, Swahilians should be a better choice for a maritime East African civ. Maybe in the 2nd Age.
Maybe they are planning for, as you said, a route for them to go into either the Swahili or Somalians.

As far Phoenicia/Carthage I'm sure they can find something. Maybe they can interact with independent powers and incorporate them into their armies easier than others. At least that's what Carthage was known for.

Phonecia in Civ6 was much more about maritime colonization. I could see an expansionist/economic design centered on more money from coastal towns and something to help found them being pretty different to Aksum's design.
Phoenica in Civ7 could be based around many towns I guess? At least Carthage was a city with many vassal territories and the Phoenican civ as a whole was pretty decentralized. Towns could be seen as decentralized government?

Phoenica in Civ7 could be based around many towns I guess? At least Carthage was a city with many vassal territories and the Phoenican civ as a whole was pretty decentralized. Towns could be seen as decentralized government?
Which would set up a good conflict with Augustus.

Top Bottom