April 2021 Update - Patch Notes Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Laurana Kanan, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Mtgkuvalda

Mtgkuvalda Chieftain

The chateau has become better in terms of placement, now it is quite possible to make successful combinations with wonder in a variety of places. But I have been struck for 5 years by the fear with which developers approach this improvement. This is the renaissance, why is there so little culture, when for example chemamul or paridaeza give it more and earlier? This is actually France, it should shine the brightest in terms of culture! From a balance point of view, I would have put the Chateau earlier, in the castles, where it belongs. And also gave protection as a fort.

2. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Super Moderator

It's only if we could mod the game to everyone taste and didn't use the opportunity to do so that I'd feel sorry for them.

except the size of the island maybe...

Nerevatar likes this.
  3. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

is anyone else not having Owls of Minerva all of a sudden not show up as a secret society after many attempts at triggering it?

4. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Prince

i just saw a video that you can pet the dog of the scout now , best patch ever!!!!!!!!

5. McKeu

McKeu Chieftain

Sadly it doesn't work, if you have the cats active :|
    It will give you "One does not simply pet a cat."

On a side note: I just started a game as Canada and, boy, are those Tundra boni ridiculous.

Edit: And they increased the amount of horseback barbarians? Please no. It's already ridiculous to run into two horsemen and one horseback archer at turn 20 on marathon, besieging your city.
    And then, a hundred years later, you get the points for fielding a cavalry for the first time in history. Makes no sense.

6. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Having played a couple of games now I feel the AI seems to not expand as much nor be as aggressive.

Also, from its inception VI put out a civ a bit OP then reigned it in most of the time. Now it feels the buffing of many civs are turning them all into superheroes where special abilities are like superpowers.

I guess that’s a choice of approach by Firaxis, after all, many iterations had little difference between civs but I feel it has tipped a little too far, perhaps down to lobbying. Just a shame we seem to be coming to the final iteration with such a radical change.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  7. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Yet I love playing as them for all of the reasons stated here :mischief:

8. fantsu

fantsu Prince

Maybe Firaxis will add support for mods in civ7 for all platforms. We will see. This time game modes would have done it, with some work of course.

9. TCBB

TCBB Warlord

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2021
  10. kotpeter

kotpeter Warlord

There's one hidden gem here. With proper setup and promotions, your spies will now be able to diminish spaceports and industrial zones in 1 turn. Which it makes it very hard for your opponent to pursue science victory.

Xandinho likes this.
  11. Banazir864

Banazir864 Warlord

Does anyone else think this is a deliberate Sean Bean reference (i.e. the Boromir meme)?

Also, while we’ll probably never know for sure, I tend to feel like the “Pet Dog” action was more a case of “Hey guys, I was bored over the weekend so look what I did.” “Haha, that’s great! Let’s add it to the game.” rather than anything they deliberately spent development time on.

12. McKeu

McKeu Chieftain

Pretty much, yeah.

Banazir864 likes this.
  13. Mtgkuvalda

Mtgkuvalda Chieftain

The Ranger clearly doesn't match the difficulty of getting to his technology. In my opinion, the best solution would be to recognize the rifle technology as untenable, eliminate it and replace it with Refining. After all, oil production began in the industrial era! Battleship is then transferred to steel, and ranger to military science. It also solves the problems of oil by opening up access to it earlier. Indirectly, this helps the Highlander of Scotland.

In general, I like the golf course, but the civic for it is extremely unsuitable for this nation. Here, either coordinate it (+1 culture for each adjacent district and +1 amenity for each adjacent untreated cell - combined with national parks), or transfer it to the technological tree. In siege tactics, for example, which would allow Scotland to consistently get 4 golden age points two eras in a row.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Myomoto likes this.
  14. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

It's not up to Firaxis, most of the Console makers don't support Mods as I understand it.

15. McKeu

McKeu Chieftain

That is true. I worked for a major game developer/publisher, and every patch or feature you add has to go through them (Sony/Microsoft) first, resulting in a lot of trouble, dev & QA time wasted, etc. PC is the only platform where all that is unnecessary.
    Opening up modding on those platforms also takes away the control of content from those entities. You could add sexual content mods, which would be available on PS platform, etc. Sony would neither agree to that, nor have time to hand check each mod out there. So in order to prevent that from happening, they simply shut the doors categorically.

16. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Thank you, this is easier to compare the Civs than than the patch note structure!

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  17. Linklite

Linklite Emperor

I had a problem getting Voidsingers last night. I usually get them within a few turns, but it took ages thus time. I don't know if it was just me getting unlucky with the RNG, though.

18. fantsu

fantsu Prince

It depends how it is done.
    For example Minecraft mods work on consoles with dedicated marketplace for them where players can download user created add-ons. Sure something like this might be too much for small company like Firaxis to implement in their game. And I dont think they are much interested in multiplayer either because playing with mods cross platform would require every player having the exact same mods installed to make the game fair for everyone.

19. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

Wow. I am very surprised that there is not a 10 page thread about this change already. This seems like the biggest change to me, although I have not played a game with the patch yet.

20. Myomoto

Myomoto King

I am mainly excited to see them address the fact that tourism did nothing besides the CV, but I would have liked to see tourism effects start even earlier than full cultural domination.

The individual balance between different Civs I personally do not care that much about. I play Civ as a single player experience - imbalance of Civs just becomes another way for me to control the difficulty of the game. What I do care about is whether or not individual Civs have interesting mechanics for me to play with/against.