April 2021 Update - Patch Notes Discussion

It depends how it is done.
For example Minecraft mods work on consoles with dedicated marketplace for them where players can download user created add-ons. Sure something like this might be too much for small company like Firaxis to implement in their game. And I dont think they are much interested in multiplayer either because playing with mods cross platform would require every player having the exact same mods installed to make the game fair for everyone.
Firaxis is by no stretch small.
The problem is very much in politics and console providers trying to keep their systems closed, similar to apple.
Minecraft... I mean what can you do... provide a voxel boob? Might as well be a protuberance of any other kind of disease in that resolution.
It is extremely hard to get anything past console restrictions. Getting modding support past them, means jumping through a lot of hoops and providing continuous monitoring and support, you don't necessarily want to. And hey... everybody wanted to jump on the minecraft bandwaggon. They simply closed both eyes in order to make money. Minecraft would not have survived on those platforms without modding support.

Moderator Action: Please mind your language, post edited --NZ
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Firaxis is by no stretch small.
The problem is very much in politics and console providers trying to keep their **** closed, similar to apple.
Minecraft... I mean what can you do... provide a voxel boob? Might as well be a protuberance of any other kind of disease in that resolution.
It is extremely hard to get anything past console restrictions. Getting modding support past them, means jumping through a lot of hoops and providing continuous monitoring and support, you don't necessarily want to. And hey... everybody wanted to jump on the minecraft bandwaggon. They simply closed both eyes in order to make money. Minecraft would not have survived on those platforms without modding support.

I dont think console makers want to limit mods just for being evil villains. Games are limited my ESRB/PEGI ratings the games must follow. If you create adult material for game that is aimed at all ages it gets illegal really fast unless you change the rating of the whole game.
Firaxis would easily moderate what mods you can download inside their own game and what not. And when they are done, they can shut down the shop permanently.

I just see this as a one way to make the game more enjoyable for all players.

I dont think console makers want to limit mods just for being evil villains. Games are limited my ESRB/PEGI ratings the games must follow. If you create adult material for game that is aimed at all ages it gets illegal really fast unless you change the rating of the whole game.
Firaxis would easily moderate what mods you can download inside their own game and what not. And when they are done, they can shut down the shop permanently.

I just see this as a one way to make the game more enjoyable for all players.
Sure, but as I said, this means a lot of extra work, which needs to be done. On steam you have no real restrictions regarding the mods you use. On console it's different. And minecraft was such a hit that console providers ofc wanted to jump on the fad, which, with a game as minecraft, meant: open mod support. A game like Civ6 can easily carry itself, so they do not see the need. Minecraft without mod support seems unfathomable. I play Civ6 without inofficial mods, ever since I own it. And the only official mod I have in use is replace scout dogs with cats.

Is there a picture out of the new Huge TSL Earth + Mediterranean map? I'm playing Huge TSL right now but I'd quite like to see how it all looks for future plays and placement of AI civs.

I'm on console so I can't use the ... console to reveal the entire map.

Is there a picture out of the new Huge TSL Earth + Mediterranean map? I'm playing Huge TSL right now but I'd quite like to see how it all looks for future plays and placement of AI civs.
Well, don't play Japan.

Sure, but as I said, this means a lot of extra work, which needs to be done. On steam you have no real restrictions regarding the mods you use. On console it's different. And minecraft was such a hit that console providers ofc wanted to jump on the fad, which, with a game as minecraft, meant: open mod support. A game like Civ6 can easily carry itself, so they do not see the need. Minecraft without mod support seems unfathomable. I play Civ6 without inofficial mods, ever since I own it. And the only official mod I have in use is replace scout dogs with cats.

Sure its work.
But right now its the opposite.
Firaxis asks full price on every platform.
They dont work with other versions outsourcing the work to Aspyr. Console versions being literally unplayable with no fixes coming is just lazy money grab from Firaxis really. With somekind of mod support we as players could make the ports worth the money at least. Being able to at least play the game through should be the minimal goal for the developer before asking money from it.

Sure its work.
But right now its the opposite.
Firaxis asks full price on every platform.
They dont work with other versions outsourcing the work to Aspyr. Console versions being literally unplayable with no fixes coming is just lazy money grab from Firaxis really. With somekind of mod support we as players could make the ports worth the money at least. Being able to at least play the game through should be the minimal goal for the developer before asking money from it.
Well, are mods necessary to enjoy this game at its fullest? Nope. They absolutely are not. With a game like minecraft, it is different.
Of the bugs I don't know. I don't own a console, for good reason. For the same reason I rarely buy console ports for my PC, don't buy PC ports for your console: They suck unless played on the platform they are meant to be played on.
If ya spent 1000 Euros on your PC, instead of on a gaming console, this wouldn't even be an issue.
Funny thing: I can hook up any xbox controller to my PC and play console games the way they are meant to be played. The reverse doesn't work.

Last edited:
Well, are mods necessary to enjoy this game at its fullest? Nope. They absolutely are not. With a game like minecraft, it is different.
Of the bugs I don't know. I don't own a console, for good reason. For the same reason I rarely buy console ports for my PC, don't buy PC ports for your console: They suck unless played on the platform they are meant to be played on.
If ya spent 1000 Euros on your PC, instead of on a gaming console, this wouldn't even be an issue.

In general, the game has a huge number of minor flaws that can annoy an experienced player, and which are simply corrected, not even with mods, but with their own hands in the editor. Without the ability to go to the editor, this game can generate a lot of irritation. I now perceive it partly as a constructor and get tons of fun creating literally the best (for myself) game in my life.

In general, the game has a huge number of minor flaws that can annoy an experienced player, and which are simply corrected, not even with mods, but with their own hands in the editor. Without the ability to go to the editor, this game can generate a lot of irritation. I now perceive it partly as a constructor and get tons of fun creating literally the best (for myself) game in my life.
I get your gist, but editing the game is kind of cheating in itself, at least for me. Yes, it is buggy in some parts. Absolutely. Can I deal with those things, once I know them, without editing the game itself to my advantage? Totally.

I started a game with my warrior being on top of another civ's settler. I had other civs' scouts pillage barbarian camps underneath my warrior, occupying said camp. Does it happen all the time? No. Can I deal with the minor occurrences it happens? Yes.

Tier 2 consists of Plantation luxuries (Gypsum, Ivory, Jade, Marble, Mercury, and Salt).
Please note this is a mistake in the patch notes, Plantation resources are Bananas, Citrus, Cocoa, Cotton, Coffee, Dyes, Incense, Silk, Spices, Sugar, Tea, Tobacco, Wine and Olives.

I cant see Bananas starting bias for the Maya civ in the game files. All other plantation resources are there.

Files:
GranColombia_Maya_Civilizations.xml
GranColombia_Maya_Expansion1.xml

i just saw a video that you can pet the dog of the scout now , best patch ever!!!!!!!!
I noticed it just now on my own! Had started a game as Babylon before the patch, and after installing and loading the game, I noticed it. I went full-on girly-girl mode, squealed and petted the dog 3 times in a row. I'm almost forty and know no shame. Especially when the animation is so well done.

Sadly it doesn't work, if you have the cats active :|
It will give you "One does not simply pet a cat."
What does that mean, "cats active"? :| Also, depending on the cat, yeah, you just pet it. Especially if it's your sidekick.

Do you play on smaller/tighter maps? And/or what level? I play mostly continent-type maps on emperor, and I would say on average I have 2-3 city states conquered (and maybe razed) and at most a city or two conquered by the AI from another civ. Rarely there will be one civ who just snowballs like crazy over their neighbor, which is really the best opportunity I’ve had to use the ability.
Large or Huge maps (occasionally standard). Immortal difficulty.

I noticed it just now on my own! Had started a game as Babylon before the patch, and after installing and loading the game, I noticed it. I went full-on girly-girl mode, squealed and petted the dog 3 times in a row. I'm almost forty and know no shame. Especially when the animation is so well done.

What does that mean, "cats active"? :| Also, depending on the cat, yeah, you just pet it. Especially if it's your sidekick.
There is an official mod replacing the scout dog with cats. You only need an account with 2k to activate it.

You can turn on scouts with cats instead of a dog companion in the DLC setup of you wish.

Moderator Action: Post edited to remove deleted content. ~ LK

Every Civ has his own ways of being played and they were decided before. So I think the changes made now are ok, as I presume they do not want to change the style of the different civs, but made them more "playable".

For example, for me, the changes to Spain are just perfect. They maintain intact the specific gameplay of Spain (intercontinental colonization/trade/religion). The bonuses added make sense and are well thought, as the extra builder is required for instant Missions, giving them the loyalty needed to put new cities on other continents.

The 25% on districts make all the sense too, as this way they can still found cities late on the game knowing that they will be efficient (and add to their game), and it pay for the turns wasted sending settlers far away.

The new Trade yields are to make Spain profit from the intercontinental policy cards and from Casa de contratación. It also helps them get a religion (Extra faith = Purchase Great people.

So the changes are welcome as now the Civ is "operational". Other civs are fairly balanced and have already their gameplay style perfectly defined. To them, they can only add some yields as the mechanism are already in a good spot (Netherlands, for example).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, this is easier to compare the Civs than than the patch note structure!
I tried to format it nicely... :(
Please note this is a mistake in the patch notes, Plantation resources are Bananas, Citrus, Cocoa, Cotton, Coffee, Dyes, Incense, Silk, Spices, Sugar, Tea, Tobacco, Wine and Olives.
Nice catch - updated patch notes with everything except Bananas since it's a Bonus Resource.

I tried to format it nicely... :(

You did fine Laurana. It's the order that Firaxis have listed things that is...less than ideal, not your lovely formatting :) Specifically NZ's list is easier (for someone wanting to choose what Civ to play in a hurry for pending MP games that have been put on hold waiting for this patch :hammer2:) to compare just the changes to Civs themselves. Thank you for the great work you do here!

Top Bottom