April 2021 Update - Patch Notes Discussion

To make this more useful, if your culture is 50% influential on a civ, you get extra gold, science and culture on trade routes for that civ, in addition to more successful espionage activities. If your culture is 100% influential (dominant), you get even more gold, science and culture on trade routes to that civ, more successful espionage activities, more pressure on loyalty, and that civ that has its dominated culture loses 1 amenity in all cities.

I agree that this feature should kick in earlier but I am not sure if you should generate culture for trading with a civ you are dominating culturally. I'm also unsure if science fits in here but its probaly a better fit than culture. Instead I would add even more tourism. Starting at 50% seems fine, increasing at 75% and maxing at 100%. Also add another bonus for trade routes from the dominated civs to the dominating civ. I though about gold for the dominating civ and culture for the dominated civ.

Maybe extra diplomatic favors and points of influence for each civ that your culture is dominant would be cool.

This sounds huge for canada.

Moderator Action: This thread will now be unlocked for commenting again.

For ignoring the previous warning to stop sniping, several posts have been edited or deleted. It is perfectly acceptable to disagree with another member's opinion, but if it cannot be done without resorting to personal attacks or insulting language the offending parties will be banned from commenting further in this thread and their posts edited or deleted.

Additionally, critiques of the April Patch are also acceptable, however, if it cannot be done in a civil manner those posts will also be edited or deleted.

This is a strong reminder to treat each other respectfully
so that all members can feel comfortable discussing the game we all feel passionately about.

Barbarian Clans
  • Increased the unit spawn rate for Cavalry-type Barbarian Clans.
  • Added a new notification when a Barbarian Outpost converts into a City-State.
  • Added missing Civilopedia entries for Barbarian Horseman, Horse Archer, and Raider.
  • Treat With Tribe menu now includes clan type name.
  • Barbarian Clans are now searchable in the Map Search panel.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented new Barbarian Camps from spawning.
  • Fixed an issue where dispersing a camp would grant gold instead of XP.
  • Fixed an issue where Gold could be gained by dispersing a Barbarian Outpost through border expansion.
  • Fixed an issue where Barbarian camps would be left undefended.
  • Fixed an issue where the Coastal Raid command would not disperse a Barbarian camp.
  • Fixed an issue where City-States converted from Barbarian Clans would briefly display a negative Garrison Defense Strength.
  • Fixed an issue where Barbarian Bribe indicators would not appear consistently over affected units.
  • Fixed an issue where Hiring units from a Clan would sometimes not pick the best unit available.
  • Fixed an issue where the Culture border would appear as the wrong color when a Barbarian Clan converted to a City-State.
  • Fixed an issue where coastal raiding as Norway would not pillage the tile and end the Norwegian unit’s turn while Barbarian Clans mode was active.
  • Fixed an issue where players would sometimes see “Clan Dispersed” notifications for an unrevealed Clan.
  • Fixed an issue where Barbarian Clan unit tooltips would only display the information for one function while multiple were active.
  • Fixed an issue where Incited Barbarian units would sometimes attack other targets than the one the player selected

How did this mode even make it live with all these issues?

Château: +2 Culture and +1 Gold at base. +1 Culture for each adjacent wonder (increasing to +2 with Flight). +2 Gold for being on a River. Must be adjacent to a Bonus or Luxury resource not adjacent to another Château.

France is still rubbish. Leader is everything.

Radio Oranje: Domestic Trade Routes provide +2 Loyalty (was +1) per turn for the starting city. Trade Routes sent or receive from a foreign civilization grant +2 Culture (was +1) to the Netherlands.

2 culture is great at the start, but quickly becomes weak. Why does it not scale?

[Rise and Fall, Gathering Storm] Glory of the World, Kingdom and Faith: No longer receives +100% Faith for 10 turns after declaring a Protectorate War. Instead, combat victories provide Faith equal to 50% of the Combat Strength of the defeated unit (on Standard Speed).

Absolute rubbish ability outside of the first 20 turns.

Nkisi: Relics, Artifacts, and Sculptures also give +1 Faith. Removed Great Writers from his additional Great people points.

1 faith? Why bother?

• Mayab: farms now recieve +1 Production for every adjacent Observatory.
  • Ix Mutal Ajaw: Non-capital cities within 6 hexes now also receive a Free builder when the city is founded.
  • Start bias changes: Grass, Plains, Grass Hills, Plains Hills are now Tier 1 start biases. Tier 2 consists of Plantation luxuries (Gypsum, Ivory, Jade, Marble, Mercury, and Salt). All other terrains (Desert, Snow, Tundra, Desert Hills, Snow HIlls, Tundra HIlls, Desert Mountain, Snow Mountain, Tundra Mountain) are Tier 3 to discourage Coast spawns

Great changes, but it needs to be 7 tiles from the capital, so that each city can have its own unique tiles for tall play.

Pairidaeza: Appeal bonus reduced to +1 (was +2).

Was Persia doing some crazy Preserve moves I was unaware of?

[Vietnam and Kublai Khan Pack] Thành: No longer provides a Great General point.

Why not give them half a point?

Vampires no longer receive the benefit of ignoring walls during a city attack when adjacent to Siege Towers.

What the...why?

Ok so overall some good stuff, especially the unit changes. But there are also some weird changes (like above), and a lack of Scotland, Egypt, etc modernisation changes. They need to be fixed to work with the current amenities/appeal game. Additionally, there are still some rubbish Pantheons, like Fire Goddess, which need to be changed.

It was fun for the first 2 eras, then it disappeared and made the rest of the game worse...

I don't think it made the game worse. I think barbarians are fun in the earlier eras and just an annoyance later. I liked that they stopped spawning after the first few eras. Regardless, the patch notes suggest that this bug is fixed.

I was let down. I was personally hoping for some District / Government Changes. I would have personally liked more of an emphasis on ideology. I wanted Georgia to get a stronger hill bias, or even a mountain bias. I wanted the Encampment to not to be a mostly dead district.

Was Persia doing some crazy Preserve moves I was unaware of?

I don't know. I think Preserves only give yields to unimproved tiles, so Persia's UI wouldn't stack with them anyway, right?

Sure, buff Scythia but why give them tourism?

Actually, Scythian mounds and earlier burials of Indo-European nomads are very tourist places in the territories of Russia and Kazakhstan. They are visited by both history lovers and esotericists as "places of power". This is a very good reference to the fact that the past of the Scythians is revered by their descendants (and those who consider themselves to be among them). It would also be quite logical to give kurgan resistance to cataclysms. It's a damn hill, what's he going to do? For the same reason, it is strange to see mounds in the desert or snow, and in the tundra you would be tortured to dig permafrost in such quantities.

A fun feature, in my opinion, would be, just like the tombs of Egypt in Civ V, to give extra gold for looting the mounds. A reference to the famous Scythian gold treasures. With the marauding card, the player could go on a treasure hunt, if, of course, he was strong enough to resist the power of the Scythian hordes.

Kurgan deserves its buff. But the irritating ability to breed light cavalry might have been a bit of a nuisance. For me, it would be so great to pass off a barbarian rider as a horseman, for a courcer as a horseman, for a cavalry as a courcer, and for a helicopter as a cavalry. It symbolizes wild tribes, weak units still work with powerful combat abilities, and for money with kurgan you can upgrade them. That would be fair in my opinion. And only Saka archers can be left, symbolizing the horror of Scythia in ancient times.

Last edited:
Actually, Scythian mounds and earlier burials of Indo-European nomads are very tourist places in the territories of Russia and Kazakhstan.

Sure, but in game Scythia has no real reason to switch to a culture victory because the amount of tourism you get from them is going to be kind of small and you don't get any kind of bonuses to tourism.

Sure, but in game Scythia has no real reason to switch to a culture victory because the amount of tourism you get from them is going to be kind of small and you don't get any kind of bonuses to tourism.

Small is debatable. Surround every pasture with mounds, plus increase your land with conquests (especially in the early era) - I would say that the exhaust of tourism on the contrary is very big. Of all the tourist improvements, kurgan is the most unpretentious in its accommodation. It should also be noted that for tourism, faith itself is necessary, for the purchase of naturalists and rock bands. You will still build them, since they are now very profitable in the pastures, the wave can imagine a situation where the player switches to tourism after early conquests and settlements. The Scythians play a defensive game as easily as an offensive one.

Top Bottom