Are we at CFC Intellectuals?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CCA, Feb 8, 2007.

?

Are we at CFC Intellectuals

1. Yes

31.5%
  2. No

50.9%
  3. Don't know/ Don't care

17.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

I agree with you, like I said I think it's more stringent a definition than this thread seems to give it credit for. However, I can see how it can be read in that way.

2. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

I refuse to bandy insults with a pleb. I can see this thread is back to not being able to agree to a definition, just remember in future when someone resorts to the dictionary to define something I'm going to say that's not what it means and then talk myself round and round in circles because I'm unable to grasp the simple meaning of a word or am unable to admit I'm wrong about my definition or I'm just being an asshat delete as applicable, frankly unless this thread resorts to talking about reality I think it's dead, and pretty much ruined by the colossal ego's of some teen to mid twenty fools who can't admit what a word means is not what they thought? Nice.:rolleyes:

It was concise what did you mean, laughing at it?

3. rbis4rbb

rbis4rbb Sid

i agre with you your an intelectual. I am to, I took the wikipedia test and scorred in the high percentage!

4. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Then bandy them with the king (of regular CFC and MountCFC!) :king:

Seriously there needs to be a merit portion to the intellectual test. I'd say you'd need advanced degrees or are in the process of getting one to be one.

5. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

Is a Physics degree advanced, what do you mean advanced? Just so we're clear.

And s**w you your higness :)

6. colontos

colontos King

If someone is entirely incapable of forming a coherent thought, argument, or even sentence, then they are not an intellectual.

If you are writing in your first language, and people with the same first language can't even parse your sentences, let alone discern an argument in them, then you are not an intellectual.

I'll leave it up to you to determine who I mean.

7. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

Yes can you understand this?

Can you point out all the sentences you can't understand?

Your meaningless definition does not apply anyway.

Einstein was almost committed to a remedial school because he couldn't converse fluently as a kid? Do you think he warranted the title intelectual?

In fact there are probably quite a few scientists and intelectuals that have say dyslexia, aspergers or other disabilities that mean they are not the best communicaters in the world? Would you bar them on a technicallity, at the same time as handing over their Nobel prize?

8. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

It is if you're going for your PhD!

HUH? :confused:
    scow? :confused:
    show? :confused:
    skew? :confused:
    slaw? :confused:
    slew? :confused:
    slow? :confused:
    snow? :confused:
    spew? :confused:
    stew? :confused:
    stow? :confused:

9. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

I dare say that Einstein would not be considered an intellectual if nobody understood him.

10. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

See now that is not in the definition? Einstein would have been barred as not an intelectual as he only ever got a third class degree, and was admitted to Universities on the merit of his papers alone in fact he got refused from all the universities because of his crappy pass, so that's plainly false. many scientists of history were self taught so they're out too, some of the greatest thinkers in history such as Aristotle, Plato and Nietzsche. That's a pointless definition and it's also completely at odds with the dictionary.

Again are you saying you are have trouble understanding me?

11. Fifty

Fifty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Logical fallacy.

1. A dictionary is not necessarily correct

2. Throwing insults at me is not very intellectual, mr. Intellectually McIntellectual

3. I've already explained why criterion 7 is bunk, but you are either unwilling or incapable of understanding and accepting that.

Several fallacies in that little snippet.

1. I've already given you a definitiib and explained why your criterion 7 that you cherish is false.

2. Insulting me does not, oh brilliant intellectual, mean anything.

First prove to me that you actually want said explanation.

1. just because you dont understand an argument does not make it wrong.

2. I've already explained why criterion 7 is crap.

3. Later on in THIS VERY POST I'M REPLYING TO you deride me for going with the popular judgement, and now you are screaming at me that your definition is the most popular. :crazyeyes: :lol:

Because it avoids the problems with criterion 7 that I've already outlined.

I'm puzzled by this accusation. Are you actually yelling at your computer screen? Because as for me, I just type, I don't actually open my mouth.

Bolding and underlining by me, this literally made me laugh outloud :goodjob:

I'm an exhibitionist.

I've already explained why your criterion is wrong. So why dont you stop standing by your dictionary and we can actually discuss the issue instead of just you randomly spouting various near-incoherent accusations about every little thing.

Funny, because that's exactly your entire point about your stupid criterion 7.

Really i'm an exhibitionist.

Wrong! The heart of the debate is about the definition of an intellectual so to accuse my argument of being incorrect because of a false definition is begging the question.

12. rbis4rbb

rbis4rbb Sid

heh i was doing some differential equations in my head (you know, n^2[(7*!)(l/k)*5^f]...etc) and pondering the root of meaning in a variable falthusian principle where newtonian particles are the derivative of x with a deviation nth times the mean (n*m!/k). This, my friend, is advanced.

13. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

This is a statement. Please stop ending every sentence you type with a question mark.

This sentences makes no sense.

Nobody said anything about being self-taught.

What definition are you talking about? Nobody posted a definition since your last post.

14. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

Yes, and so is everyone else in this thread.

15. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

Kindly point out where you couldn't understand me then?

And please, since everyones replying to me, I find that statement to be hattery of the finest ass.

What was wrong with it? Are you a bit slow? Is that what the problem is?

And if you keep being a spelling and grammar nazzi I'll report you, if you don't understand a sentence fine I'll talk you through it. But I refuse to be questioned on when I'm making a questioning statement? Or am puzzled, that's just pedantry no?

16. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

17. Irish Caesar

Irish Caesar Yellow Jacket

:lol:

I think nonconformist is the only intellectual on CFC!

18. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

Okay, well, here are a few recent snippets:

The second part of this post is somewhat ironic when paired with the first.

19. Fifty

Fifty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I'm having trouble understanding what it means to be "barred as not an intellectual"

20. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

Oh my mistake I didn't realise you were ********? Sorry? Sincerely since everyone replied to them, you seem to be the only one having problems do you think you might be a bit slow mentally then? Sincerely as you seem to be the only one with a problem with comprehension, do you think you might have a learning disability?

hattery of the finest ass that's just a joke :lol: lighten up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.