Are we at CFC Intellectuals?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CCA, Feb 8, 2007.

?

Are we at CFC Intellectuals

1. Yes

31.5%
  2. No

50.9%
  3. Don't know/ Don't care

17.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Eistein got an advanced degree. So he fits. So you can't object.

That's because way back then the university system wasn't like it is today. This is a definition for modern peeps, people back in ye olden get a different one.

How's it pointless?

100% compatable :smug:

Noone understands you.

2. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

The problem is that you write nonsensical run-on sentences that don't use any semblance of grammar, punctuation, or spelling. I don't mean any offense by that, but it's extremely hard to discern the meaning from a lot of the word salad that you churn out.

You also end every other non-question sentence with a question mark which is EXTREMELY confusing.

Huh? If you want to report me for not understanding you, go ahead. Regardless of whether or not you do, I will continue to assert that a large amount of what you write is incomprehensible. I don't mean to troll you, but you asked if I understood...

3. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

Why do they manage to respond coherently then? If they don't understand me, and anyway your definition counts out some of the greatest thinkers of the last 4000 years so it's rubbish.

4. Fifty

Fifty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is that one has to actually consciously decipher what the heck you are trying to say, rather than just reading the post.

Oh and by the way, Sidhe. "everyone" did not reply to them. This is a horrible and infantile logical error. There are 6 billion people on earth, and only a few people replied to them. Not even all OTers replied to them. Not even everyone who has thus far participated in this thread has replied to them. So no matter what your domain of discourse, you are committing a horribly elementary logical error. Unless you define your domain in terms of "those who have replied" which would of course be another logical effor in begging the question.

5. Perfection

We're just going off stereotypes.

IT'S A MODERN DEFINITION FOR MODERN PEEPS! K? I accept that as a limitation! It's still useful for sortin' modern peeps!

6. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

Obviously people replying to your posts does not mean that they understand what you mean. For example, as you can see, I have replied to your posts, yet I do not understand what they mean.

I challenge you to find more than one person of CFC who will testify that they understand everything you say.

Well, it may be a joke, but I have no idea what it means.

7. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

Well then they are welcome to point out the sentence and I'll clarify.

Or more correctly you are just lying for the sake of it.

I disagree, it sorts out people based on a non dictionary definition and a non historical definition, therefore it's rubbish.

8. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

I already did here :).

9. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

So let me get this straight: you're saying that every new definition of a word is "rubbish"?

10. Perfection

The dictionary is not the sole judge of meaing, Sidhe.

What's wrong with a soley modern definition?

11. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

No not necessarily but a definition that only exists in Perfection world is liable to lead to all sorts of confusion if he uses it in the real world, where everyone else does not understand the new meaning. If everyone starts using it in that sense no doubt it would end up in the dictionary, you can't just fiftify every word you come across because you feel like it.

Nothing you have one use it.

There's no need to make up new definitions just to make a point and then claim that you have classified the whole world based on a non definition you just made up, no ones going to agree with you doing that, it'll just make any discussion meaningless as you can just change the meanings of words whenever you like. This is why English dictionaries exist, to show the concensus meaning to avoid confusion.

12. Perfection

Can you think of a single case where it would cause confusuin?

13. Fifty

:cringe: If you honestly think that's a sensible reply to what Perfection was saying, that alone pretty much puts the nail in the coffin of your "I'm an intellectual" thesis.

An advanced degree, in these times, is a good prerequisite for being an intellectual. Why is that not true other than simply saying "cuz the dictionary sez so", especially when I've already debunked your precious criterion #7 (which you've mysteriously refused to reply to).

14. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

Thread in Nutshell:

Sidhe: "Blah blah balh bahl bhal bhaal (run-on sentence) oh and I'm intellectual."
    Poster: "You're not making sense."
    Sidhe: "I'll report you you you gammer nazi!"
    Everyone Else: "What a bunch of douchebags."

Fifty, why does Folding@Home suck?

15. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

adj.
    a. Of or relating to the intellect.
    b. Rational rather than emotional.
    2. Appealing to or engaging the intellect: an intellectual book; an intellectual problem.
    a. Having or showing intellect, especially to a high degree. See Synonyms at intelligent.
    b. Given to activities or pursuits that require exercise of the intellect.
    n.
    An intellectual person.

This'll do, can we agree to the real dictionary definition or are we rewritting English today.

Erik stop acting like a five year old. If you want to make a point without resorting to insult do so.

16. MjM

MjM Deity

yea im an intellecuatual but you dont agree with me asshats and im not good speller so yea

17. Fifty

That's, for the fiftieth time, a stupid definition. So an intellectual is anybody who does anything "of or related to the intellect"? HUH!? So I guess EVERYONE is an intellectual then, even people who can hardly articulate themselves in sensican sentences.

@Erik: Because it made my comp sucky.

18. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

Ah more sycophants to the pumps, this should be fun anyone care to make a point?

Adjective

intellectual

1. Belonging to, or performed by, the intellect; mental; as, intellectual powers, activities, etc.
    2. Endowed with intellect; having the power of understanding; having capacity for the higher forms of knowledge or thought; characterized by intelligence or mental capacity; as, an intellectual person.
    3. Suitable for exercising the intellect; formed by, and existing for, the intellect alone; perceived by the intellect; as, intellectual employments.
    4. Relating to the understanding; treating of the mind; as, intellectual philosophy, sometimes called "mental" philosophy.

This do you.

The best one has already been done, I don't write definitions of words, I do know what they mean and I don't try and rewrite their meaning to avoid admitting I'm wrong.

19. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

I have already done so, but it seems to me that you insist upon seeing events that reflect unfavorably on you as "insults".

An "insult" would be along the lines of "You suck", or "You're acting like a five year old". Stones in glass houses, anyone?

20. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

You just called me a douchebag, yes? "Everyone else thinks, douchebags", that would include me right?

I think you are being childish, it's an opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.